Hispano Buchon; 1/72 scale

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
vacant
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Hispano Buchon; 1/72 scale

Post by vacant »

I took one look at this donated wreck and pretty much decided that the kindest thing to do with it was to confine it to the bin. It looked like a Bf109G but something wasn’t right that I could not quite pin down. I think I was distracted by its overall thick layer of dark blue paint. The fogged up canopy and lack of undercarriage did not help. There were also no spinner or propeller blades. The kit seemed to be an old Airfix one.

But I was curious, so I started to remove the blue paint from the wings. Under it, the original German markings and camouflaged markings were still evident. Then I started to work on the nose.

At this point, it might be helpful if I stepped back and told you about another wreck I had been given in the same donated box. It was a Spitfire with a radial engine. I assumed it was some kind of whatif.

As I removed more paint from the '109', the mystery of the radial-engined Spitfire was resolved. The original builder had taken the Spitfire engine and built a Hispano Buchon. That also explained the blue paint. My interest in the restoration suddenly gained momentum. I had often thought about making the conversion, but never got around to it. Now someone had done the hard work for me.

With the rest of the paint removed, it was easy enough to mould a new canopy and make some undercarriage. I found a Spitfire spinner for a four blade version in the spares box and made some propellers from scrap bits. I also made some cannons and wing fences. I did not include the rocket supports and rails that this aircraft often had.

The rest was just a paint job and cobbling together some decals. The result has its faults, but it’s a nice on to have in my collection.

Gregers
Forum founder

Re: Hispano Buchon; 1/72 scale

Post by Gregers »

Another stunning rescue of an orphaned model. Very well done sir.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nicely done, Vacant.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Very smart - although I'm used to seeing them in Luftwaffe camo! ;-)
Daren

Half-assed Spitfire builder!
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

Completely agree with Gregers. What you do with wrecks is sometimes little short of miraculous!
celt

Post by celt »

Well rescued that man.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Great job! It looks very smart in the blue
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
PGAS
Active Participant

Post by PGAS »

Nice rescue Vacant. Scratch canopy turned out great too.
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.

Return to “Aviation Modelling”