Airfix 1/72 Lysander conversion to a P.12 tandem

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Re: Airfix 1/72 Lysander conversion to a P.12 tandem

Post by jssel »

Good progress and yes, it does pay to walk away for a bit.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Lone Modeller
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Lone Modeller »

Building a simple frame for the interior was a very good solution. I suspect that if the plastic is old it may distort when in contact with cements. The joint that you have at the moment looks extremely good and the reinforcements for the wing and fins will pay off by making those parts strong. Do not worry about the amount of filler that you use- large quantities are de rigeur for this kind of work! Remember: you are building this because you have wanted one in your collection for a long time, so waiting a few more days is not going to matter too much. And when it is finished there will be many envious modellers looking at it and wishing that they had one!
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Brilliant work so far.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

Jeff, LM and Splash: Thank you all for your kind comments and encouragement. They help a lot!

Here are a few pics for a status update as to where I am now. I may put it aside a few days as I want to try doing the Blitzbau (tomorrow is a holiday here). But, I have to say, I am wavering on that as I want to finish this project first (an OCD kind of thing for me). :grin:

I have a few problems happening that you don't really see in the last pic. I had painted the tops of the wing joints which glue together _after_ being inserted through the canopy side windows (not convenient at all). I tried to carefully get the wings through the windows, but the clearance just wasn't there after the primer paint was added to the wings. So some of the glue smeared the paint I added for the interior joint and it doesn't look the greatest. :oops: I also broke the tail wheel, and didn't find a spare in the parts bin, so had to make a hasty repair. Lastly, the canopy was a tad short of joining with the vacuform fuselage so I had to make a "gasket" to fill the gap, and then smooth that over with filler. That did okay, but when the wings were inserted into the canopy it lifted the joint slightly. Sanding and filling helped take it down and it doesn't too bad.

I did notice a big omission in the Matchbox kit. The landing lights in the wheel spats are missing. So I had to drill some holes to make my own.

I am concerned about painting it as I am not finding any good color examples of the aircraft online. Just a profile here or there, but nothing really useful. :???:
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

It giving you a good fight. Real nice progress.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
iggie

Post by iggie »

That's really looking good!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Paint "The Phoenix" under the canopy :) Look what a couple days "patience" brought you.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

That is looking superb. That is one I would love to attempt.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That really does look good, PW, I can't see where the kit ends and the conversion parts begin. Super work.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

Super joint on the fuselage and the alignment of the flying surfaces looks just right - not easy on a build like this. This is going to be one to be proud of.
Crashpilot
...happily fooling around with styrene

Post by Crashpilot »

That´s one you don´t see too often 8-)
Waiting for the day, when wars for territory will be something to be read about in history books only.

Playing Tetris taught me: If I clean up too much, my kits disappear.....8-(

Markus, alias Crashpilot, or Crash, or CP, as you wish
bobblelink
Active Participant

Post by bobblelink »

I have this one in the stash along with an old lizzie I am going to sacrifice for the conversion, unlike me, you are being very brave- good work so far.
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

I have been following this build with great interest, a fascinating subject and a challenging conversion which you are doing very well indeed! Can't wait fir the next instalment.

Zee28
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

Gentlemen,

Thank you all very much for your kind comments and interest in this project. I really appreciate it. :)

Progress has slowed a bit due to work and getting home late as a result. So I get an hour, maybe, to work on things. A big headache was the turret as it doesn't really fit all that well in the model. So it required a lot of trimming and sanding to get things close to acceptable. I'm going to add a base to the turret so it doesn't look like it has a bottomless-hole inside. Also, it will need to be mounted on a base to raise it to the appropriate height. And, of course, painting is no treat either as you have to guess at everything you paint of it (for the frame). :shock:

Now I really need some help and your opinions. I think the green is way off (too green). I hoped it would mellow-out a bit as it sat, but that isn't happening. What do you think? I have a Field Drab green (not olive, but along that line) which might look better. But would I ruin what I have by painting over what I've done? Believe me, I don't like the idea of having to repaint the canopy while it's in place! So should I leave it or repaint it? :???:

Thanks again!
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

What a terrific conversion result. Really well done.

I'm a bit colourblind so I am not one who's opinion should count but the green looks good to me.

David

Return to “Aviation Modelling”