Airfix 1/72 Avro Vulcan (Finished)

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
maritime
starter kit

Re: Airfix 1/72 Avro Vulcan (Finished)

Post by maritime »

I have just purchased this same model after a hiatus from modeling for 50 years +.
I noticed that the colour you used for the main wings and fuselage is not what I would
consider to be the recommended colour on the colour palete, ie Dark Sea Grey # 164, rather a close colour that
being Medium Sea Grey # 165, which to be honest looks a lot closer to the colour on the image on the box.
Which colour did you use??., please and thank you.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Welcome aboard Maritime. You have resurrected a build here from 2014 and unfortunately I haven't seen Zee, the builder of the Vulcan, posting for quite some time.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Welcome aboard, maritime, why not take time to introduce yourself in out Welcome forum.

He used Hu 164, as stated in this post http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?p=209756#p209756; if that is the question you are asking.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Zee28
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Zee28 »

Hi maritime. I am fundamentally a lazy modeller and will shy away from lengthy research and the strive for total accuracy if I can! Shameful I know, but hey....

Hence I just used the colours that Airfix recommend in the painting guide, even if they're not quite right, hence I used Humbrol 164 Dark Sea Grey as John said.

By the way, if you haven't got an airbrush or you want a quicker result, Halfords Grey Primer is pretty close too (even lazier!).

Also, the green is Humbrol 163 which is bit closer than 30.

Zee28
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

I never understood why British men (mostly) within a certain age bracket, always lost their collective sh...their heads, at the sight of the Vulcan.

But witnessing your model, I'm beginning to get it. What an incredible looking aircraft. And what a great piece of modeling too. Congratulations on accomplishing this.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Yes, an impressive aeroplane, and an impressive model.
Sadly, I was never fortunate to see the Vulcan in the air, but I did build this model many years ago. I guess I would be tempted to try it again, maybe with some rescribing.
Great job!

David
iggie

Post by iggie »

Softscience wrote:I never understood why British men (mostly) within a certain age bracket, always lost their collective sh...their heads, at the sight of the Vulcan.

But witnessing your model, I'm beginning to get it. What an incredible looking aircraft. And what a great piece of modeling too. Congratulations on accomplishing this.
Heretic!! :shock: :shock:

Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

Softscience wrote:I never understood why British men (mostly) within a certain age bracket, always lost their collective sh...their heads, at the sight of the Vulcan.

My old man used to guard them and I finally got to see one fly - you´ve lost your chance I´m afraid and the last flyer has just been grounded. I would love to have seen one open up at full power as he said they flew past the airfield sometimes. I think It´s something to do with the sound, just as a Merlin Spit sounds special so do these rumbling giants.
running at the edge of their world
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

I've 1000hrs as a pilot on Vulcans with 44(Rhodesia) Sqn, RAF Waddington. Didn't fly 588 though.
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Either you've seen one flying past at close range, or you'll never understand. I used to be in the "just a big, loud delta, meh.." camp until one showed up at an airshow around here; changed my opinion in a hurry :-D I guess it's one of those things that need to be experienced to be understood.
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

TeeELL wrote:I've 1000hrs as a pilot on Vulcans with 44(Rhodesia) Sqn, RAF Waddington. Didn't fly 588 though.
No chance of a few pics and stories?
running at the edge of their world
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

TeeELL wrote:I've 1000hrs as a pilot on Vulcans with 44(Rhodesia) Sqn, RAF Waddington. Didn't fly 588 though.
Your forum status has just changed from 'Forum Friend' to 'TOTAL LEGEND' ! :grin:
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Is that 'total Leg end'???

Th'other aircraft I flew: 1300 hrs on various marks of Canberra, 800hrs on F4 Phantoms and 4500 hrs on Hawk.
Tony

Current build:
Marek

Post by Marek »

"Two lightnings taking off" and I have to be shoveled from the grass :). Seriously though, it is a brutish yet elegant aircraft (it has this correct 'WOW number', sort of the little boy's counterpart of Planck's constant :) ). A mix that had been achieved only by British aerospace industry so far. Just see Victor, javelin; they are the essence of Armageddon Elegance Squad; beautiful, conceptually advanced, technically proven, hamstrung by budgetary constraints yet fully capable. Like a Spit or Hurricane. I only recognized where this fascination comes from after reading Tony Buttler's definite work: British Secret Projects which I wholeheartedly recommend to anyone. :) That is how I found the second origins of my fascination. First, I have to admit, they just look the part :)
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Just to keep the envy rolling, whilst a Canberra pilot, towing banners for Lightnings out in Cyprus, I was able to blag 3 trips in the 2 seater. It was great to fly, very similar to the Gnat.
Tony

Current build:

Return to “Aviation Modelling”