IronMan's Ukrainian Odyssey

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
IronMan129
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Mav's Big Mig Build

Post by IronMan129 »

Haha sorry had to laugh MarkyM607!
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Well at the start of tonight I was very happy with the MiG-31.......that ended when I tried to weather it.
I'm going to try and save what I can but im not gonna be trying to weather a model for a long time to come.
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

What I'm working towards now is a very "Russian" dirty look so it involves a lot of washes and oil runs using an airbrush mainly to hide were I've messed up trying to take off the wash and its started to effect the paintwork.
I'm beginning to get a little happier with it so I'll post a pic later on tonight.
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Here is a pic of how she looks now:
The lines on the nose cone are reflections.
There aren't very many good pics of a weathered MiG-31 so I'm basically guessing but I'm happier than I was so its getting there.
iggie

Post by iggie »

It looks fine from here Mav!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Thanks Iggie, if you look closely at the second panel line on the right(nearest) air intake there is some wear on the paint work, I may spray both panels again and see what it looks like afterwards what do you think?
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

The MiG-31's tires have been painted and the nose gear has been finished, I just need to klear coat it before I glue it into place.
I'm going to finish weathering her and salvage the top paint coat then the final stages of finishing the ordinance and canopy can begin.
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Mav's Big MiG Build is back!
Here's how the Foxhound finished:
I'm currently building a Condor MiG-25U Foxbat for the Krap Kit GB which I'll post pics of when shes finished and I have a Matchbox MiG-21 Fishbed which I started for the Matchbox GB last year that I am slowly tinkering with.
I also plan on building the Hasegawa MiG-25 Foxbat which I purchased in the SMW17 Kit Swap.
Spaceowl

Post by Spaceowl »

That's a very smart build, particularly for the amount of trouble it gave you. it's good to see you persevered, I think I would have lost heart by now.
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Wow that is a really great looking Foxhound, Mav.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Thanks guys!
I really am toying with the idea of getting the Zvezda kit as I have the -25 and -25U and they're better quality than her so she'd look wrong I think...
TeeELL

Post by TeeELL »

Mav,
Very interested in your KP MiG 19 build as I have one to add to my ‘Cuban’ collection. Down side is that Cuban MiG 19’s had the ranging radarso I will need to craft one.
Tony

The older I get the better I was!
Current build:
Airfix 1:72 Javelin FAW9
Particular modelling interests:
Cuban Airforce aircraft, 29(F) Sqn aircraft, Aircraft I’ve flown
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Evening everyone.
Its been over a year since there was an uodate to this threadso I thought an update was needed.
So here we have the 1/72 Zvezda MiG-1.44 Flapjack.
I did end up replacing my already built MiG-31 twice!÷
So incase you don't know what this aircraft is or was built for here's some background information on the Flapjack provided by Wikipedia:
The Mikoyan Project 1.44(Russian: Микоян МиГ-1.44; NATO reporting name: Flatpack) was a technology demonstrator developed by the Mikoyan design bureau.
It was the Soviet Union's answer to the US's Advanced Tactical Fighter (ATF), incorporating many fifth-generation jet fighter aspects such as advanced avionics, stealth technology, supermaneuverability, and supercruise.
The design's development was a protracted one, characterised by repeated and lengthy postponements due to a chronic lack of funds.
The MiG-1.44 made its maiden flight in February 2000, nine years behind schedule, and was cancelled later that year.

Onto the Kit:
This is the original 2004 boxing of Zvezda's Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-1.44 Flapjack.
I started this on Friday the 9th of November which was the night before Telford or "Set Up Friday".
Until today I've not had chance to post a thread on the build so I'll post it all in one to make things easier.
So the first thing I did was paint and assemble the Ejection Seat, I have painted the gray bit since these pics:
Then I got onto assembling the nose section, it's standard cockpit in, nose weight added then close her up like on any other kit.
The internal Intake parts were next, 3 pieces in total but I was worried as they didn't seem too strong but that didn't last long as once the rest of the air intakes were added it was quite solid.

Saturday night after getting home from the first day of SMW18 I could only muster the energy to remove the wings, tails and a section that completes the tail booms which I glued on:

So onto the night after Telford on the 11th.
The main gear wells and a sort of casing for the front gear bay had to be fitted to the inside of the fuselage as well as the internal engine "cages" and forward facing engine fans.
I was going to paint the engine fans but upon test fitting I noticed that their not visible at all so I didn't bother.
Again after a busy and exhausting weekend that's all I could manage to do that night and we were all a little shacken after witnessing a major accident on the journey home.

Monday the 12th the main fuselage was glued together with the wing sandwiches as well as joining the nose and fuselage sections and finishing off the forward air intake assembly.

And then finally 14th November I installed the tail fins, under fuselage fins, flap actuator housings and the 2 weapon pylons:

So far Zvezda have lived up to what I expected, it must be one of the best and easiest kits I've ever built!

I do have more updates ready on this so please stay tuned...
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

It's a shame they couldn't afford to build those. I think it's a stunning looking aircraft and you're doing a great job on it.

David
IronMan129

Post by IronMan129 »

Thank you dwomby!

Here's the afterburner "cages" I was on about.
The next night I only managed to do abit more filling and sanding on the forward fuselage section and mask off the inside of the cockpit as I plan on having the canopy open and saw this as an easier way around it:

Return to “Aviation Modelling”