Matchbox 1/72 SeaHarrier FRS1

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Matchbox 1/72 SeaHarrier FRS1

Post by JamesPerrin »

This is intended for the CBK's 500 years of the Royal Navy Display at SMW 2016. The story starts here as a DNF from the Harrier GB http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=343&t=13593; and then continued here on my workbench http://uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?p=288831#p288831;. After a number of trials and tribulations it was finished bar doing something about all the dust sprites on the inside of the canopy. I was able to remove it without damage as I used PVA glue. It took two attempts though to reposition it after cleaning, but it was worth getting right.

As it was a bright sunny day so I thought I'd put the light tent outside and take some photos. Well I got these two before my camera battery died on me.

So I thought I'd charge the battery and do some weeding around the garden for half an hour. I was just finishing up weeding around the beetroot when a freak puff of wind lifted the backdrop garden and dent the Harrier crashing down on the patio! :shock: Only one pylon came loose but to my dismay the canopy now had a big crack in it :cry: :cry:

After some some colourful language, denial, tears and then acceptance I took it upstairs to fix the pylon with the aim to at least get the rest of the shots I wanted. Two minutes later I grabbed the camera and picked up the Harrier gingerly to head downstairs whereupon I cack-handedly fumbled the model and sent it crashing down the stairs, where is shed all it's stores and left the once straight as an arrow pitot tube bent at right angles!!

:boom:

Amazingly none of the fiddly PE aerials had broken off, well not until later when I reattached the tanks and and missiles. After carefully re straightening the pitot I took a quick couple of shots to try can show you some off the details I'd added while it was safely on the bench.

As you can see I've still replace on the aerials behind the canopy. I could seek a replacement canopy but I'd also have to the redo the pen nib detail and the windscreen fairing that I added to the original and at the moment I really don't won't to think about it. Gutted.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Saxon
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Matchbox 1/72 SeaHarrier FRS1

Post by Saxon »

Nice build. The trenches are deep on this one!
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Sounds like nature conspired against you on this one. Still looks good in the pics though.

Nigel
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Oh dear, James. I'm sorry to hear your sad tale of woe! Certainly wasn't your lucky day, was it?

It's still a beauty and I can't see the crack in the pic you posted. I suggest you reattach that antenna and then leave it for a few weeks. Maybe you can learn to live with the canopy if you distract yourself focusing on other builds. Or do another build with your daughter! That should distract you!

David
Marek

Post by Marek »

Golden Oldie! Nice one
iggie

Post by iggie »

That's a really great finish of a classic, despite it's best attempts to thwart you at the end!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

That's a great result James.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
celt

Post by celt »

Cracking build,oops sorry did not mean that,lovely job.

Return to “Aviation Modelling”