Daz's Movie Madness!

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Re: Daz's Movie Madness!

Post by beany »

DazDaMan wrote:Doesn't Revell do a Nieuport 28??
Yes, there are four on eBay at the moment, one going for a fiver in 6 hours time with no bids on it yet!

EDIT £2.55 at Wonderland Models
https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/models ... t_by=price;
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
DazDaMan
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by DazDaMan »

Great, so that's the film The Dawn Patrol added to the list....!
Daren

Half-assed Spitfire builder!
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

My movie model collection - and it's still growing....!

Films include: Battle of Britain, Aces High, Reach for the Sky, Malta Story, Tora! Tora! Tora!, Pearl Harbor, God Is My Co-Pilot, First Light, Dark Blue World, Zero Pilot, Angels One-Five, Von Richthofen and Brown, Dunkirk, The Tuskegee Airmen, Der Stern von Afrika, First of the Few....

And I'm about to start working on a Buchon from Memphis Belle...!!

Daren

MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Cool display there Daz! :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
iggie

Post by iggie »

As Mark says, a great looking display!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Thanks, folks.

The Heinkel and the Stuka will be replaced with more appropriate versions. Two of the Hurricanes will be changed as well.
Daren

DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

A Matchbox Ju-87G Stuka turned up today - this one will join the collection at some point, too!

In case you're wondering "Why one of those?", well, the Stuka that's housed in the RAF Museum was considered for restoration to flying condition specifically for the film. They actually got the engine running at one point, and there's anecdotal evidence that the beast even managed to taxi. However, it was reckoned that a rebuild to fly was too costly for the film company, so the Proctuka replicas were cooked up instead. Of course, they weren't used in the film in the end, but the large R/C models that were constructed by the film's model team (and, of course, seen in the final cut of the film) were based on the Hendon aircraft.

Also, a very large-scale (perhaps even full-sized!) replica Stuka appeared in the film, when it crashed into one of the radar stations.....

Definitely worth including in the collection, I reckon.
Daren

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

You have indeed built up a great collection there Daren. The Stuka is interesting and that's the first I've heard about the film company considering using an actual aircraft. The other thing is I don't recall noticing the incorrect use of the later "D/G" model Stuka (correct me if I'm wrong but I think the D model carried bombs whilst the G model carried anti-tank cannons and I think both can be built from the MB kit. The correct model for the Battle of Britain would be the earlier B), so I must look more closely next time I watch the film!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Yep, just another reason why the film is so interesting!

There are certainly photos of the Hendon Stuka being rigged up by the film folks for lighting purposes etc.
Daren

DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

So, another one going into the collection!

Not a Battle of Britain aircraft, this one, but a privately-owned Buchon which appeared in the TV series Piece of Cake in 1988. Owned at the time by Nick Grace (of Grace Spitfire fame), this Buchon gets the lion's share of the screen time when the bad guys are around. The aircraft was purchased by the Old Flying Machine Company after Nick's tragic death, and flew with them for many years, appearing in the film Memphis Belle and the TV series A Perfect Hero as well.

I was fortunate enough to see G-BOML flying twice, in 1998 and 1999, just two short months before Mark Hanna was involved in a fatal accident in it in Spain.
Daren

DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

And the Buchon is done!

Daren

DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

So, I made a modest start on the Stuka kit today. I reckon I'll have most of it built by the end of the week.

For some reason, I thought the Stuka kit didn't include bombs, given that it's the ground-attack G-model pictured on the box, but thankfully it does include a large underbelly-carried bomb, and the bomb cradle.

Of course, I had to watch the film as well! :-D
Daren

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great work with the Buchon Daren and I look forward to seeing your efforts with the Stuka.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

The Stuka, and the Memphis Belle Buchon that I've been doing for the '109 GB, are progressing slowly. I've not done much this week due to being choked with a cold!

However, one of these has just arrived at Castle Cogdon:

A quick look at the kit reveals the usual quick-and-easy Hobby Boss kit. I intend to build it as a Spit from either A Yank in the RAF or Eagle Squadron - haven't decided which yet.

Now, at present, I'm watching The Dam Busters, and trying to figure out the best way to make a film Lancaster....!
Daren

MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

DazDaMan wrote:The Stuka, and the Memphis Belle Buchon that I've been doing for the '109 GB, are progressing slowly. I've not done much this week due to being choked with a cold!

However, one of these has just arrived at Castle Cogdon:

A quick look at the kit reveals the usual quick-and-easy Hobby Boss kit. I intend to build it as a Spit from either A Yank in the RAF or Eagle Squadron - haven't decided which yet.

Now, at present, I'm watching The Dam Busters, and trying to figure out the best way to make a film Lancaster....!
LOOK, look, Daz is actually building a Spitfire!!!. :ha: :ha: We thought you'd forgotten about them!!.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.

Return to “Aviation Modelling”