Daz's Movie Madness!

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
DazDaMan
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Daz's Movie Madness!

Post by DazDaMan »

Oh it got FAR worse than that.....!

SPITFIRES playing MESSERSCHMITTS!

Yeah.
Daren

Half-assed Spitfire builder!
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

DazDaMan wrote:Oh it got FAR worse than that.....!

SPITFIRES playing MESSERSCHMITTS!
:exclaim: :shock: :wow

Let me get this straight.... We have Spitfires playing Messerschmitts (109s, I presume; the thought of a Spitfire mocked up as a Bf 110 is more than I care to contemplate just at the moment, much less the thought of what it could possibly be like in the air... :roll:); Buchons playing some kind of RAF aircraft -- Hurricanes? There's precedent (or postcedent, if that's a word :mrgreen:) for that in the film Battle of Britain; and Texans playing... what? Stukas? Hs 123s?

What were they smoking when they made that film, and would it do a racing engine any good? And I thought the aircraft in Partizan Air Force were weird. Bizarre...!
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Fortunately, the Spitfires-as-109s turn up as models for the most part....

....but they end up switching sides by the end of the movie?!

Yeah, I know, very strange, but hey, it's worth a watch.
Daren

celt

Post by celt »

DazDaMan wrote:The film aircraft only bears a passing resemblance to a Mk.I Spitfire, at best. Plus, this kit has the wheels moulded into the wings, and it should be easy enough to mount on a stand without ruining the lines of it.
Makes sense now,BTW well tidy models Daz.Spitfires playing 109s,you couldnt make it up could you. :-D
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

It's a well-known fact that a surviving Spitfire once wore Luftwaffe markings for an air display back in 1950!

Anyway, I digress....

I've flung the Novo Spitfire onto the desk for its A Yank in the RAF makeover. Having had a nightmare with building a couple of 1/24 Airfix kits lately, I decided on something simple to build before the "One for the Books" GB. It's already starting to look like a Spitfire!

I do like the Frog/Novo kit. It would make a really good beginner's model if it was still around!
Daren

DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

And here she is, with a lick of paint and the spinner being filled for its in-flight pose:
Daren

celt

Post by celt »

Looking good.
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Should be done over the weekend.
Daren

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That Frogger Spit is coming together nicely Daren, did the stand come with the kit or is it of your own making?
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

I'm not sure where the stand came from - I think it was from a Frog kit, but I could be wrong. I usually use the old Airfix stands, but that one was lying around and fit the slot in the belly perfectly.
Daren

DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Pics are a bit blurry, but the Spitfire from A Yank in the RAF has some camouflage on!

I've tried hard to do the colour scheme as close to the models/mock-ups in the film as possible. The next thing will be to add the decals, which all look like this:
Daren

DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

And that one is..... done!

I painted the model to try and match the one in the film. The full-scale mock-up does not have a clearly defined paint scheme, however, so I had to try and watch the last segment of the film over and over to try to pick up these details. The miniatures, however, are a lot clearer, so the model was painted as best as I could figure based on them.

It was during one viewing that I found that the mock-up actually wore code letters on its sides! I deduced that the film's art department would have made their mock-up to look like the aircraft featured in the flying sequences filmed in the UK. Indeed, in one brief shot, you can discern the letter L on the fuselage - the Spitfire squadron featured in the flying sequences were from 602 Squadron, whose codes at the time were LO. In another shot, an ID letter can be briefly seen, but not all that clearly, so again, I decided to use some discretion. The spares box provided me with some 602 codes from another decal sheet, so they were used. The roundels and fin flashes were also from the spares box. The 1/72 version of Tyrone Power came from the spares box, via Matchbox.

So, there you have it. I actually enjoyed this one a bit more than I thought, as it was a bit of a challenge given that there's no photographic references around, save for the film itself. And I reckon it turned out pretty well!

The Mosquito is up next, so you know what that means.....
Daren

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nicely done Daz, that has turned out really well. I find that research is either as much fun as building the model or equally as frustrating!! Sometimes it's best not to bother and just build the thing :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Cheers, Shaun. I must admit, it's actually rather grown on me!

I had a bit of a brainwave this morning with regards to another subject, but more on that later.

The Mosquito is up next....!
Daren

Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

I don't know if it's too late to help, but I have a book (or 10!) about 602 Sqn and there is a photo of the squadron taking part in a mock 'Scramble' at Prestwick for the filming of the movie. it should have at least one code for an actual movie Spit. Using that I can get the serial from the full list in the index of 'Glasgows own'.
Any use to you?
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"

Return to “Aviation Modelling”