SeaKing Stupidity or Utter Madness

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
chrism
Modelling Gent and Scholar

SeaKing Stupidity or Utter Madness

Post by chrism »

Over the Christmas holidays just gone, I foolishly agreed, to build and document the building of the new and old tool Airfix SAR helicopters and a couple beers later I had let the project expand to three (yes 3) SAR Seaking helicopters As I am documenting the process elsewhere, it can also be shared here too:

The kits coming into the spotlight are the ancient and worse for wear old-tool Airfix kit, :shock: the lovely new tool Airfix HAR3 kit :) and for the third the nice but not that new now, Revell boxing along, with a sponson upgrade pack from Whirlybird, to produce a RN HU5 variant (the red/grey scheme one) :grin:

Just for starters, here are a few images of the contrasts in the two Airfix kits:

and then someone (who knew me well) reminded me that I also had another (yep ... a 4th) which was stalled for a variety of reasons including old duff-decals ....

So I will also now be finishing off Old 66 as well... and putting these nice new decals on it.

I dont know about anyone else being describable as mad sad and dangerous, (ShaunW) but in my case at present, it is probably more a case of mad sad and stupid ...
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
Marek

Re: SeaKing Stupidity or Utter Madness

Post by Marek »

If mad, sad and stupid is something I would need to complete 3 Seakings then can I have some of it? :) Seriously though, I have a popcorn ready.
lancfan
Avro's Rivet Rhapsodizer

Post by lancfan »

This is one thread I just have to watch.

David.
David.

If you forget the past, you may lose the future.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Me too! Although I suspect more than one popcorn will be required!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

OK Chris, I have pulled up a chair, the popcorn is open and I have drink ready. I'm really looking forward to these builds.

I look forward to seeing your comparison, if you need another Seaking I have a spare Fujimi kit you can have.

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

This is one hell of an undertaking! Count me in for following along. :grin:
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
Marek

Post by Marek »

Splash, a lot of popcorn will have to be eaten, maybe we should jump the bar and get something on the rocks? :)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

The Sea King is one of my favourite helicopter types and this is one of those wonderfully mad modelling projects that I enjoy watching but body swerve myself! It's great to see that "Old 66" is in the mix as well - no collection of SK's is really complete without that one IMHO.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
chrism

Post by chrism »

Well, it is nice to know I have a fan club watching and joining me for this challenge.
splash wrote: if you need another Seaking I have a spare Fujimi kit you can have.
Well... with an offer like that .... the challenge had to be accepted. In fact I was offered a choice of boxings/variants, but was not prepared to choose, as I wanted Splash to part with the kit he wanted to part with.

So with eager excitement like a kid at Christmas I received a package this morning and eagerly ripped it open to reveal:

on a quick examination of the sprues, the level of detail in the parts and quality of the plastic is good. The moulding is all nice and clean.

Here now is a comparison of the 4 fuselage pieces: (old Airfix, Fijimi, new Airfix, Revell)

There will be a progress report in next couple days, once I have got internals sorted and glued down on them all. So far all I have is a lot of seats, and steering control columns and other bits painted on the sprues,

The Fujimi kit comes with decals for two HAR-3 paint schemes, a yellow RAF one, and a dark-blue naval option. I am going to go with yellow on this one, as I also have a further new tool-Airfix kit in stash, and that one could at a later time, now be completed in this alternative blue scheme ....

TFN pictures and progress soon.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Good lord........ What an interesting project, Chris! I'll be starting a Hasegawa 1/48 with Flightpath HAS.6 conversion set, but finish as an HU.5, so I'll be following with interest.
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

Here's my take on 'Old 66' from the old Airfix kit:

Now on display at the https://arizona.usgs.gov/FSC/ in Flagstaff. 8-)
Paul

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

PaulBradley wrote:Good lord........ What an interesting project, Chris! I'll be starting a Hasegawa 1/48 with Flightpath HAS.6 conversion set, but finish as an HU.5, so I'll be following with interest.
That will be fun to watch, as I have the same kit with the Flightpath Mk4 conversion set.

Fancy a shared 1/48 Seaking build?

Regards Splash
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
chrism

Post by chrism »

Please do it would be good to watch and contrast what you two can do in 1/48 with my 1/72 efforts (Paul and Splash). I am going pretty oob on all mine, apart from sponsons for the revell kit. Any obvious bits over in the new tool airfix interior may if appropriate get glued into the sparse old one but that is about as adventurous as I intend being.
PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Post by PaulBradley »

splash wrote:
PaulBradley wrote:Good lord........ What an interesting project, Chris! I'll be starting a Hasegawa 1/48 with Flightpath HAS.6 conversion set, but finish as an HU.5, so I'll be following with interest.
That will be fun to watch, as I have the same kit with the Flightpath Mk4 conversion set.

Fancy a shared 1/48 Seaking build?

Regards Splash
I'd love to, Alan, but this is going to be a magazine article, so I can't. :sad:
Paul

Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Am watching with interests here. I'll bin the popcorn idea though, can't stand the stuff. This may even spur me into digging my 'old 66' model from the loft. Incidentally the real 'old66' is at the bottom of the ocean having suffered a bit of a mishap.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein

Return to “Aviation Modelling”