Westland Whirlwind HAR10; Airfix 1/72

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
vacant
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Westland Whirlwind HAR10; Airfix 1/72

Post by vacant »

Anyone who says the camera doesn’t lie has not seen this model. I admit it. This is a restoration of a donated model that defeated me. The photos seem to do it more justice than it deserves – I know – I’m looking at it.

The starting point was a painted fuselage with a resin nose attached, though it was pretty ill fitting. It left me with a fair amount to do.

I took out the windows as they were in a poor state. I cleaned them as best I could but it wasn’t really successful. Ideally, I should have taken the fuselage apart to mould and fit new windows, but the resin nose was too firmly attached and I did not want to break the long tail. There was no front window so I carved one from balsa wood and moulded one. The fit is far from perfect. I became fixated on the windows and all I can see when I look at the model are the poorly fitting badly marked windows.

I had most of the undercarriage legs and wheels, leaving me only to make two supports at the rear.

A fairly messy job was to scratch build the rotors and rotor head gear. I used scrap bits of plastic to make something roughly resembling this area. The rotor blades are a bit too thin but they will have to do.

I also made the tail rotor blades and attached them. What I did not notice at the time was that the supporting piece on the HAR10 is bigger than on the standard Whirlwind, so I had to retrospectively cut it off, make a new one and reattach the rotors. My patience by that stage had started to expire.

Painting proved to be the next big challenge. I should have gone for a camouflaged model, but instead I went for yellow. I’m normally fine with yellow, but for some reason I can’t pin down, it just did not work. At best, I can describe the result as showing a well worn dirty helicopter, with lumpy appearance.

I tried to outline the windows in black with a marker pen, but that did not work either.

I had no decals so I had to make and print them. I found some roundels from spares.

So there it is, a bit of a lemon all round, in more ways than one. Getting one thing wrong seldom spells disaster, but when almost everything does not work out, there is only one result. Anyway, if one does not push one’s limitations, one never gets any better so I’ll just pass it down to experience.

Gregers
Forum founder

Re: Westland Whirlwind HAR10; Airfix 1/72

Post by Gregers »

A beautiful restoration. That looks superb.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

I have to agree with Gregers, it does look the business.

Nice work.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
iggie

Post by iggie »

Yet another tidy refurbishment project; you have far more patience than I ever would have and your perseverance and skill shows as ever!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Looks good to me as well Vacant and certainly you have shown great perseverance in seeing the project through.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

It may not be one of your best, but given what you had to start with, it is nothing short of miraculous that you have achieved this. It is frustrating beyond measure when one thing after another goes wrong - you deserve a medal for perseverance.
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

I've built this kit and know first hand how crude it is - But you have done it proud. Much, much better than mine ever was.
On The Bench
Takom 1/35 M247 Sgt. York.
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

Many of us post our successes, but wouldn't dream of putting our 'failures' out there for the world to see. It may not be one of the best you've shown us (although I doubt we see its issues as much as you do), but it looks fine and hey – it's finished and on your shelf instead of in your stash. Image
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Nice lookin' Whirly.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

Hah! found something you suck at........failing! :mrgreen:
Considering the strife you had with it, that looks damn fine!
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
vacant

Post by vacant »

..... and I forgot to point out that it is sitting too high on its legs making it just look wrong. But thanks anyway for the comments of understanding and consolation.
Marek

Post by Marek »

It still is looking good, to high or not, let's say it is empty airframe :)
TobyC

Post by TobyC »

Even your lemons look pretty good. ;-)
Enjoyment over accuracy. That's my motto
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

I too have restored one of these, so I know what were up against!

cheers,

David

Return to “Aviation Modelling”