Albatros DV

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
vacant
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Albatros DV

Post by vacant »

This is the Fiddler's Green card kit of the Albatros. I take my hat off to anyone who can successfully build a model of an aircraft from a sheet of printed card. Joining tapering curved shapes is beyond me. Scoring lines in exactly the right place is beyond me - and one does have to be exact. Living with such inaccuracies in scale thickness just goes against the grain, even though I am usually satisfied with something that looks generally right. Folding the wings while keeping them straight was beyond me. I was given this kit (a sheet of photographic paper) with the shapes printed quite a few years ago, but only now got around to building it. Now my aim is to give it away at a model show if anyone will take it.

gnomemeansgnome

Re: Albatros DV

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Ha! I too have that paper kit and have not yet summoned the yarbles to tackle it. You, sir, are braver than I. Nice job.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

Not your usual medium but considering all things still not a bad job. Certainly a hundred times better than if I had tried to make one.
iggie

Post by iggie »

It certainly looks like an Albatross :grin: Well done for attempting it :grin:
Not a modelling medium I really fancy although I have got some card buildings to make but they are all straight lines thankfully!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
K5083
Active Participant

Post by K5083 »

Nice job! I built that model a few years ago after scaling it to 1/24 and printing it. I have the CDs of every airplane kit Fiddlers Green issued until a few years ago, and many other makers' as well. I have even made some out of sheet foam, stuffed motors and radios in them and flown them as micro RC models.

They are impossible to build to the levels of fidelity we are accustomed to. The best master card modelers are claimed to be able to create models just as detailed as plastic ones. It's bollocks.

But they can be amazing, for paper. They draw more admiring comments from non-modelers, even though you used the printed-on colors and didn't even paint them. The unwashed tend to think our plastic kits pretty much build themselves, whereas anyone can see that making an airplane-looking thing out of a few sheets of paper is an achievement.

That particular model is one of FG's older issues, designed by hand without CAD software, and it's not your fault if you found the fit of the fuselage segments a bit rough.

August
A good model is any model you can walk away from.
Przemek
Active Participant

Post by Przemek »

vacant wrote: I take my hat off to anyone who can successfully build a model of an aircraft from a sheet of printed card.
Oki doki :) I have an idea in connection with this :) But can there be more than one card? And scale greater than 1/72?
Your Albatros is very cool! Do not give up! Believe me - carton is also a pretty material for making models.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Amazing result, Fred.
I have not ever attempted one, but I do have a printed card model for the spaceliner from the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey.

The old Airfix kit is hard to get, and pricey. The card kit looks great on paper.

Cheers,

David
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great effort, Vacant and it looks like an Albatros DV, or certainly at first glance - card does have its limitations when it comes to finesse but I won't knock it too much as a modelling medium as I've never tried it!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Miss-Stang
Active Participant

Post by Miss-Stang »

Wow, you never cease to amaze me. you always seem to come up with something so unusual.

Your Albatross looks great and at first glance I thought it was one of your vac models, well done :)
Regards,

Miss-Stang
ronald alvarez
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by ronald alvarez »

Beatiufull, I remember my work in this project...... airfix 1/72...
I love My Venezuela...........

Return to “Aviation Modelling”