Revell 1/72 scale Heinkel He 219 Owl (H-160)

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
FAAMAN
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Revell 1/72 scale Heinkel He 219 Owl (H-160)

Post by FAAMAN »

Thought I'd post my old 1973/4 Revell Uhu, the kit, H-160 is from 1966. The build and model are not up to today's standards but the build was a lot of 'fun' way back then when I was 18 :roll: :roll:

Heinkel He219A-5R1 G9+RL built 03July1981
Finished in a fictitious colour scheme due at the time to a complete lack of reference material (and a freind's request). The box-top pic threw me too. The kit H-160 was issued from 1973-4 (the molds from themselves from 1966) and was difficult to build as the fuselage is split horizontally not the usual vertical split therefore making cleaning up the join a long frustrating business.
I added as much scratch-built detail as I could, a gun sight for the pilot, a properly rendered FuG202 Lichtenstein C-1 matress antenna between the four FuG220 SN-2 antenna on the nose plus a scratch-built FuG220 tail warning aerial, two "Schräge Musik" cannon barrels on the aircraft's spine plus added cannon barrels in the wing roots and belly tray.
Brush painted with Airfix and Humbrol paints, the splotch pattern camo took a few hours one very rainy Saturday arvo.
The codes are a modified mix of the kits' and paint with the "blooded panther" on both sides of the nose a modified item from a Heller kit with a hand painted "kill tally" on the rudders.
The model was weathered (way too much) by dry brushing. Lead pencil was used to hi-lite moving surfaces.
The model was heavily damaged in a 1990 fall, the upper main landing gear was remade using plastic rod & card, brass rod & tube along with the kit's lower landing gear parts.

ImageDSC03021s by Neil, on Flickr
ImageDSC03036s by Neil, on Flickr
ImageDSC03023s by Neil, on Flickr
ImageDSC03029s by Neil, on Flickr
ImageDSC03030s by Neil, on Flickr
ImageDSC03024s by Neil, on Flickr
ImageDSC03035s by Neil, on Flickr
ImageDSC03037s by Neil, on Flickr
ImageDSC03032s by Neil, on Flickr

My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/45800749@ ... 3703395433;

Regards all :beer: :beer:
Neil 8-) 8-)
Been modelling for years, still learning . . . .
Model kits are meant to be assembled . . . . . . . . . . eventually.
Zee28
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Revell 1/72 scale Heinkel He 219 Owl (H-160)

Post by Zee28 »

Hi Neil. That is a great job, those sort of paint schemes take an awful lot of patience and time and I am always in admiration of people that do it.

But tell me something. looking at the position of the main gear I reckon it must have needed a whole heap of nose weight to stand correctly. Did it? And where did you hide it? Engine nacelles maybe?

Just curious,

Zee28
FAAMAN

Post by FAAMAN »

Thank you for that Zee :beer: I'm glad you like her ;-)
It an awful tail sitter Zee, even with weight substituted for some of the nose landing gear bay's roof it's just ok. You're right in thinking that you really should put some weight in the front of the engine nacelles.
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

Neil,

Thanks for posting this one. I really do like it a lot! Your camouflage scheme is spot on and the white swirl pattern on the propeller hubs is fantastic.

I'm almost done with my Revell model of the Uhu, but I'm building mine gear-up in flight mode. This way I was able to avoid the tail-sitter issue all together.

For an old build, it sure looks the part.

pmmaker
The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad"
Alice: “I’m afraid so. . . you’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. . . All the BEST people are.”
vacant

Post by vacant »

Well rescued - and well done with the extra bits.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Very nice looking build!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
59North

Post by 59North »

No wonder you've had her so long and preserve it. It's a very nicely done model. She's very pleasing to look at.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nice one and that is a great build from your past! Alas in 1981 I was spending more time in the pub than the modelling room :beer: I stopped actively pursuing the hobby after I left school aged 18 in 1980, although I did continue to buy modelling mags from time to time and didn't restart until around 1991 or 92.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

That has survived extraordinarily well: and it looks as though it was very well made and painted all those years ago too. I remember this kit - my WHAT a tail sitter is is! Sadly mine was nowhere near as good as yours and it has long been in the airfield in the landfill site near to where i was living at the time.

It is wonderful to see these old models - real blasts from the past, and good to see that some at least have survived. Some even get restored of course.... but that is another story.
FAAMAN

Post by FAAMAN »

Thanks for the great comments gents, greatly appreciated, I'm glad you like her :beer: :beer:
I've a second one somewhere in the stash, from 1972 I think, It'll be done properly when I get to it :roll: :roll: :roll:
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

Would make for an interesting shared build don't you think? Imagine all the different schemes we could come up with.

pmmaker
The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad"
Alice: “I’m afraid so. . . you’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. . . All the BEST people are.”
FAAMAN

Post by FAAMAN »

Hmmm . . . . . . . . . . . . 8-)
Very interesting idea, I wonder if I can get to my kit :?: It's in a rented storage locker my Mum runs (I've run out of room in my garage :shock: )
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Great looking Uhu.

Nigel
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Haven't seen one of these for a long time.
Well done!
I built one of these, too, possibly also out of a Revell box - it was a long time ago. I'm pretty sure the original is a FROG kit.

Cheers,

David
FAAMAN

Post by FAAMAN »

Thanks for that Skypirate :beer:
As I think I posted Skypirate, my build is the original 1966 Revell tool, not to be confused with the Frog kit which is a completely different tool.
The 1/72 scale Frog kit, F177 also came out in 1966, and although the worst of the three early Uhu's it has been also released as AMT/Frog 3702-80 in 1967, Matchbox Nr.40202 in 1996 and Revell 04690 in 2010!!!! Go figure, they went from one of the better tools to the worst :shock: :shock:
There appears to be a preference by Revell for very poor old kits, like the 13 re-releases of the Revell H-619/H-47 Mustang when they have the far superior Matchbox tool.
IMHO the Lindberg 1/72 scale He 219 KitNo.2315 from 1975 is the best of the three "early" kits (see pnmaker's build), then the Revell H-160 I've built and a distant last to the misshapen 1/72 scale Frog kit.

Return to “Aviation Modelling”