Backdating Academy's B-50D to a B-50A Superfortress in 1/72

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Chuck Finley
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Backdating Academy's B-50D to a B-50A Superfortress in 1/72

Post by Chuck Finley »

As so often in life, inspiration comes from the build of fellow modeller's group build entry. In this case, Mark's B-36 in the recent "Nifty Fifties" group build inspired me to bring out the old B-50D Superfortress from Academy that dates back to the 1990s. However, this time I wanted to do something different and build the kit as a B-50A. The most visible difference between the two is that the 'A' model had a B-29 framed nose cap while the B-50D introduced a frameless nose cap. In addition, the B-50D had drop tanks attached to the wings from the factory while some B-50As received theirs under "Project Gem" that was introduced by Strategic Air Command to address the range problems. The B-50 Superfortress was only able to carry conventional bombs straight from the factory and were not atomic capable. The aircraft later received atomic weapon capability under the SADDLETREE Program.

The aircraft I am working on is a Boeing B-50A Superfortress that was modified to carry a Atomic Bomb through the SADDLETREE Program but did not undergo the "Project GEM" drop tanks. For the modification, I am taking the nose cap and U-1 Bomb Rack from an extra Academy B-29A Enola Gay kit I had in my stash. In addition, the engines come from a C-97A Stratofreighter (Academy) that I had backdated to a YC-97 service test prototype. The Mk.6 Atomic Bomb is a resing piece by Spectre Resins and the markings are courtesy of Experts Choice.

As the aircraft is carrying only one bomb, the aft bomb bay is closed up.
On second thoughts, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place!
Gregers
Forum founder

Re: Backdating Academy's B-50D to a B-50A Superfortress in 1

Post by Gregers »

That's starting to look great. Another that I have in the stash. Again any issues?

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Great project! Interesting history.

cheers,

David
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Looks good!, glad I had a positive effect on someone, makes me feel happy :grin: :grin: . I have finally got a B-29 kit, it's the Academy one with markings for the two atomic bomb planes. I did want the Airfix one as it's one kit I never got around to in my early modelling. Bit hard to find or find cheap!!. I will watch this one though, the B-50 always seems to be forgotten somewhat.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

Gregers wrote:That's starting to look great. Another that I have in the stash. Again any issues?

All the best.

Greg
Add weight to every space in the nose along with behind all four engines. You should be able to avoid the tail sitting problem. Also, there is some problems with getting the fuselage halves together in the cockpit area. Be prepared to sand down the cockpit edges and putty to fill the crack.
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

MarkyM607 wrote:Looks good!, glad I had a positive effect on someone, makes me feel happy :grin: :grin: . I have finally got a B-29 kit, it's the Academy one with markings for the two atomic bomb planes. I did want the Airfix one as it's one kit I never got around to in my early modelling. Bit hard to find or find cheap!!. I will watch this one though, the B-50 always seems to be forgotten somewhat.

Thanks, the Academy B-29 is the best kit on the market. Your version is what is called a "Silver Plated" modification that removed armament and other non-essential equipment to allow the B-29 the capability to actually carry a atomic bomb. The B-50 uses the same sprues with the exception of new engines, taller tail, and a clear nose cone. I was able to pick up the B-50D, a C-97A, and Boeing 377 airliner at last month's show for $40.00 each. Considering that the C-97 family was retailing for $55.00 a few years ago, this was too good a deal to pass up.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Interesting stuff Chuck and it's good to see a B-50 on the go as a change from the more common B-29 builds although both are great looking prop driven bombers IMHO. Great work with this build so far.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

Finished adding the Alclad "Airframe Aluminum" and did the touch-up. Next up, adding decals, and the Mk-6 Atomic Device.

iggie

Post by iggie »

Wow! That's seriously shiny! It looks fabulous Chuck
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

iggie wrote:Wow! That's seriously shiny! It looks fabulous Chuck
+1 from me Chuck, that is excellent!

IPMS#12300
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present for your examination, the completed Boeing B-50A Superfortress with a place in history.

B-50A, 46-010, "Lucky Lady II of the 63rd BS, 43rd BG, in 1949. The bomber has a Mk-6 Atomic bomb in the forward bomb bay.

On February 26, 1949, "Lucky Lady II" took off from Carswell AFB in Fort Worth, Texas to become the first aircraft to fly nonstop around the world. She was refueled in the air a total of four times, flying over the Azores, North Africa, Saudi Arabia, India, Philippines, and Hawaii before finally landing back at Fort Worth on March 2, 1949.

Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Very nicely finished.

Nigel
iggie

Post by iggie »

Stupendous in every respect!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Excellent work Chuck, that is a great looking B-50. That was some achievement flying the aircraft non-stop around the world back then but I'm not sure that I'd fancy sitting in there for four days!

IPMS#12300
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

ShaunW wrote:Excellent work Chuck, that is a great looking B-50. That was some achievement flying the aircraft non-stop around the world back then but I'm not sure that I'd fancy sitting in there for four days!
Believe it or not, the kit actually provides a rest area aft of the gunner's compartment. It even has a couple bunks provided. That said, the bulkhead door that separates the rest are from the gunner's compartment is closed and there are no windows. But, By God, at least you know it's there! Sorta like the toilet paper roll Ertle/Esci provided in it's KC-135 kit. :)

Return to “Aviation Modelling”