Matchbox 1/72 Hawk T.1A

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Matchbox 1/72 Hawk T.1A

Post by Stuart »

3rd finish of the year - Matchbox's H.S/Bae Hawk T.1A. (My DNF from the Matchbox GB)

Not a bad kit this - it's one of my favourite kits from when I was a child. It's not too bad accuracy wise, it certinaly looks like a Hawk. If I was going to build another one (which I will), it only really needs extra panel lines in places and some strakes and wing fences added to bring it up to modern standards - and maybe a bit of work in the cockpit - but that's nothing new with old kits :bag:

The model was brush painted with Humbrol Acrylic paints. The weathering was done with a F&C Pitt artists brush pen and some Humbrol weathering powders.

I'm trying to work on my photography. This is about the best light/flash set up I managed today - annoyingly however, although I had the lens set to F/22 and on a tripod - I had the wrong focus point. Something to learn in the future. I'd certainly appriciate some feedback on the pictures as it's something I'm trying to improve on.

Here's a picture of the undersides - it's from an earlier test batch of pics so it might not be as good.

Cheers

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Matchbox 1/72 Hawk T.1A

Post by MarkyM607 »

Looks good to me.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Lovely, Stuart. I can't see anything to improve in the photography and certainly not in the excellent looking model. One of Mbox's best I think. Odd that they missed off the ventral strakes. Were they copying the moulds from a prototype?

I hadn't noticed the offset stand position before. Unusual. The only other kit I remember having that is Airfix's F-14.

Well done.

David
vacant

Post by vacant »

Fine job and pretty decent photos
Titan

Post by Titan »

I remember building this one aeons ago but it never looked as good as yours Stuart.
Photography wise I would say you just need to have the correct white balance set as you seem to have a magenta colour cast.
I took the liberty of removing the cast and cropped your photos a tad using photoshop, though if you can fiddle around with your wb settings then I would say that you would have nailed it.

Regards
Mark

Post by Stuart »

MarkyM607 wrote:Looks good to me.
Thanks Marky!
vacant wrote:Fine job and pretty decent photos
Thanks Vacant! Coming from you, that's a compliment indeed.
dwomby wrote:Lovely, Stuart. I can't see anything to improve in the photography and certainly not in the excellent looking model. One of Mbox's best I think. Odd that they missed off the ventral strakes. Were they copying the moulds from a prototype?

I hadn't noticed the offset stand position before. Unusual. The only other kit I remember having that is Airfix's F-14.

Well done.

David
Thanks very much indeed David!

The kit is indeed based on the prototype, hence the lack of wing fences too (in fact the markings in the box are the prototype). When I do another one I'll add those on.

The stand should actually fit in the centre line but I wanted to fit the Gun pod, so I re-drilled it off centre.
Titan wrote:I remember building this one aeons ago but it never looked as good as yours Stuart.
Photography wise I would say you just need to have the correct white balance set as you seem to have a magenta colour cast.
I took the liberty of removing the cast and cropped your photos a tad using photoshop, though if you can fiddle around with your wb settings then I would say that you would have nailed it.

Wow they look much better - thanks Mark!

Funny that pink cast, it didn't show up on my laptop, but did on my kindle. I'm not sure why I got it as I set custom WB with a Grey card. Thanks for the tips - next time I'll shhot RAW and sort out the WB manually.

And thanks also for the compliment - I'm sure yours was awesome.

Cheers

Stuart

Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Looks very nice…. in both sets of pics.

Nigel
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Looks much better than a Matchbox Hawk should!
Great result!

David
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Although I've already commented on this in your WW thread Stu, it is worthy of further comment in here. That is a great looker and the wrap-around cam really suits it. Great photography too, something that is not my strong point. I use the wife's old Olympus digital point and squirt jobby and use Irfanview in "post production" to sharpen images and correct colour imbalance caused by my bench lights, although the latter is not always successful. I know we are working from the same aftermarket decal sheet and there are some great schemes on there including wrap-around schemes. I am going to make further Hawk models that's for sure.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Clashcityrocker wrote:Looks very nice…. in both sets of pics.

Nigel
Thanks Nigel!

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

skypirate wrote:Looks much better than a Matchbox Hawk should!
Great result!

David
Thanks David!

Stuart

Post by Stuart »

ShaunW wrote:Although I've already commented on this in your WW thread Stu, it is worthy of further comment in here. That is a great looker and the wrap-around cam really suits it. Great photography too, something that is not my strong point. I use the wife's old Olympus digital point and squirt jobby and use Irfanview in "post production" to sharpen images and correct colour imbalance caused by my bench lights, although the latter is not always successful. I know we are working from the same aftermarket decal sheet and there are some great schemes on there including wrap-around schemes. I am going to make further Hawk models that's for sure.
Thanks Shaun,

Nothing wrong with a point and squirt Digicam Shaun (or your pictures), I do most of my wip with one now rather than use my phone.
I just dust off my DSLR for finals - However the one I have you can pick up off ebay for about £50.

It is indeed a good decal sheet, and I shall certainly be building a few more too.

Cheers

Stuart

celt

Post by celt »

Well tidy mun.

Return to “Aviation Modelling”