Trident 1c

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
gengriz
Active Participant

Trident 1c

Post by gengriz »

I'm not sure where my current enthusiasm for airliners has come from, but I am enjoying building them, even if the large white surfaces are still a bit of a challenge for my brush painting skills, especially over grey plastic like this one.

A British Airways Trident was the second aircraft that I ever flew in (the first was a Wasp), back in 1980. Tridents used to do the shuttle run from Edinburgh to Heathrow, making good use of their advanced zero-visibility automated landing systems ( a world first at the time) to keep running when the other airlines (in those days British Midland and B-Cal) came to a halt.

This is the old Airfix kit of 1966 vintage (mine was an early 1990s re-issue), pretty much out the box. I altered the nose wheel to be offset to one side and used Krystal Klear for the cabin windows (with a black "screen" behind them), but otherwise, what you see is what you get.

Cockpit windows are a little dodge, but otherwise it is a nicely fitting kit. Of course it has a number of accuracy challenges, not least the cabin window layout, lack of wing to fuselage fairing and the wings are too straight. But unless you know all about Tridents, you would never guess!

FredT :)
50+ years of modelling: http://www.gengriz.co.uk
Recently retired after completing the biggest and most amazing construction kits in the whole world, EVER:
http://youtu.be/2syAt3jXq4s[/color]
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: Trident 1c

Post by ShaunW »

I am an occasional builder of jet airliners Fred (known as flying cigar tubes to the heretics) and as such I really enjoy seeing them on here. I'm not a Trident expert so the accuracy issues would have gone unnoticed by me had you not pointed them out! What I do know is that this is a really great build of one of the classic Airfix "Sky King" series, very well done with it.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

Love it! Always a graceful aircraft and you've done a fine job on this Fred!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

A great job. Especially having been brush painted the Trident wss a beautiful aircraft. I had a tour of the fire school at teesside airport when there were quite a few of them in the fire pits. A real shame.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
vacant

Post by vacant »

First class job - a really smooth looking finish. Airliners can be such tricky little devils to get right.
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

Really nice work. I've tackled a few airliners over the years but none successfully :oops:
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Excellent work. Tridents - remember the one with the fourth engine in the tail!!!

David
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

That looks fine. There are issues with the Airfix kit. The one that stands out the most is how you deal with the cockpit windows. You seem to have sorted that OK.

On 7 May, the Farnborough AIr Sciences Trust are hosting a talk on the Trident at The Village Hotel in Farnborough. I hope to attend.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

dwomby wrote:Excellent work. Tridents - remember the one with the fourth engine in the tail!!!

David
iirc the four engined one was the Trident 3b. Can anyone confirm that?

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
Albert Einstein
Falcon
F-16 Fan

Post by Falcon »

Gregers wrote:
dwomby wrote:Excellent work. Tridents - remember the one with the fourth engine in the tail!!!

David
iirc the four engined one was the Trident 3b. Can anyone confirm that?

All the best.

Greg
Great model there.

The Trident 3B did have 4 engines. It had 3 Rolls Royce Spey RB163 engines and an additional RB162 booster engine in the tail.
Chris.

Cold War S.I.G Deputy Leader
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Cheers Chris. Thought it was. Most of those at Teesside were that version.

All the best.

Greg
Albert Einstein
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Lovely to see one of these built, Fred.
Top job!

David
JohnRatzenberger
Why is he so confused ?

Post by JohnRatzenberger »

Looks good. I'm going to try the Kleer and black backing on the Frog Shell tanker if the ports aren't too big - thanks for the idea.
John Ratzenberger :???:
It's my model and I'll do what I want with it.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

One of my favourite airliners, even if it was never the plane it should really have been.
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

That looks lovely, Fred. Did Airfix provide all the stenciling on the decals, such as the markings on the top of the fuselage?

Return to “Aviation Modelling”