Therapy Build

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
dollar19
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Therapy Build

Post by dollar19 »

Thanks guys!
The stitches came out Friday afternoon/evening. The appointment was set for 5:00pm, finally got to see the doctor at 8:45pm. I'm not going to rant......but geez!!!!!!!

So yesterday and today I worked on the decals sporadically. I think I've done pretty well up to this point. Maybe I'm too clumsy or it's the decals themselves but it's been a bit of a struggle. I will say Trumpeters marking guide could either be bigger or they could unclutter it a bit, or maybe it's all me. A couple of the decals did curl up as they slide of the backing paper but I was able to to fix them.

Forgive the belly stripes I know they're crooked but those grabbed onto the paint and nothing I did could straighten them out.

wow that tail needs a dusting! thats from the cotton cloth I used to pad the jaws of my hobby vise. Well here it is warts and all. That's about 25 of the 129 decals that go on this bird. I doubt all of them will make. This thing has more stencils than an F-4!
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Looking really good. Personally, I get tired of applying stencils REALLY fast and generally don't put them all on!!!

David
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

REally nice work, Dollar.

How does your hand feel?
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

Thanks fellas!
How's the hand feel? If you can imagine holding your hand to a hot iron while beating on it with a sledge hammer and getting stung by a couple hundred hornets all at once. Sorry but that's about how it feels which is better than a week ago. Please know I'm not put off by your askingits just about the only way to describe it.

Thankfully working on the model does take my mind off of the pain but it is always there. I guess I'm getting used to it. So please be care if you work with power tools. Now I'm thinking of an old PINK FLOYD song... Careful with that ax Eugene!
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Great tune!

But I'm sorry to hear about the pain you're in. At the same time I'm happy to see you're powering through it and building. I think that says something about your character.
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

Thank you that was kind of you to say. It's a good thing to have something to divert your attention.

Speaking of which more decals today!!

Greg
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Man that hand sounds painful, Greg but it is great to see you refusing to give in to it and making an excellent job of this Lightning! I won't go into the issue of lengthy hospital waiting times on here other than to say they are a hot topic of debate and are high on the political agenda over this side of the pond. I wish you all the best for a speedy recovery.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

I pretty much think politicians are about the same everywhere. Enough of that !!!!
I have moved on to the rest of the decals, not an easy feat. I think I may of had a bad sheet. I have never had decals so unpredictable. Some went on easy pessy, some went down with a fight, and some curled up in a ball like a scared armadillo. So I did what I could to make it look presentable.

Here's the pics.

Greg
iggie

Post by iggie »

Excellent job! That really looks the part!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Stunning job on the Lightning, and on your tenacity not to let your injury beat you. I know the feeling there from when I walked out of hospital within a week of fracturing my spine, didn't tell the doc I wss almost passing out with the pain. I suppose it's one of those things when someone is as young and dumb as I was but we're all older and wiser than that now and just get on with our lives. I wish you well with your recovery and from what we can see it certainly isn't holding you back.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

That is a superb looking Lightning - great work with those decals even with the fight they gave you.

Glad to hear you're not letting the pain beat you - I wish you a speedy recovery in that respect.
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Looking good.
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

You're in the Winners Enclosure with that, even in a Handicap race! Hope the Pink Floyd theme with your hand is now at the Comfortably Numb stage.
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Really nice job. Kudos to you for getting through it 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Great progress and the markings are really bringing her to life. As long as the main decals are OK all will be well to most observers IMHO. If the decal write offs are stencils then personally I wouldn't be too fussed. These days I only apply sufficient stencils to a jet to make the airframe look reasonably busy, say half of those on the average sheet, as I think to apply them all can almost overwhelm a model in 1/72. Just my opinion of course.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Aviation Modelling”