Beriev Be-6

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
vacant
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Beriev Be-6

Post by vacant »

I bought this kit at the recent (2017) model show at Cosford. My inner voice of sanity shrieked ‘No, it’s in a plastic bag so bits might be broken or missing, it looks far too big, the decals seem to be unusable and it just looks like a quite dreadful old east European kit’. But my modelling voice countered with ‘It’s a flying boat, I have not built one before and it looks like a modelling challenge’. Finally, my wallet kicked in with ‘It’s only £3, you may be a pensioner but even you can afford £3’. So I bought it.

The kit was produced by an East German company named Flugzeug-Modellbaukasten. If you want to delve into its history, check it out on Scalemates where it is listed under VEB. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/160000- ... -1531-be-6;

Some research turned up a build and review of the kit by the model master Carmel J. Attard at http://www.modelingmadness.com/review/k ... ardbe6.htm;. Carmel’s review confirmed my worst fears, and more. The engines were completely the wrong shape – an intake ‘chin’ should have been on the top and it wasn’t. Think of a B29 engine upside down. Major surgery and use of filler was needed to correct them. There was a chin intake underneath, but it was far back so one can't just turn the engines upside down. The exhausts were also in the wrong place. There were several large rectangular windows, almost all of them either too big, in the wrong place or simply did not exist. They had to be sealed in and new ones cut out.

The kit is for a version with a tail gun turret. Carmel had cut off the end and replaced it with a completely new one with elongated pod. I decided to do the same – as if it wasn’t big enough as it was. That, however, also involved covering over a hole in the fuselage where the upper gun should go, replacing it with a small astrodome and making a new different style of turret to be positioned further aft. There is more, but I won’t go on. There is also a build of this kit with many of the modifications on this site http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... ge#p259063;.

The beaching gear on the fuselage sides and at the rear had to be scratch built.

The sun is shining so I have taken some photos of it, slightly before it is finished. I need to find some large numbers for the fuselage. My spares box does not seem to have any so I will have to track some down. But apart from that, it is finished. Now there is the problem of where to put it. It has a wing span of 48 cm and it is 36 cm long.

Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Re: Beriev Be-6

Post by Purplethistle »

So, that was a horribly inaccurate bag of plastic that you started with was it? Does your modelling tools box contain a wand by any chance? for that metamorphosis is nothing short of witchcraft!
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

She is a big girl Vacant. :lol:

That is a brilliant result with this kit mate. I spotted one on the bay once really cheap but did some research and decided to give it a miss.
So well done for completing her.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Another masterful job in turning a potential pile of cack into a wonderful model Vacant. She's a big girl but quite a looker IMHO. I think perhaps you are really a sorcerer!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

That is a stonkingly good (and big!) build!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

Once again you show the rest of us what a true modeller can do with even the poorest of material. That is a big aeroplane but it is extremely well finished. Sounds like you got your money's worth there.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

An awesome job with this old clunker. I did one years ago but the only mods I did were the interior. To be honest I have one in the stash and I will attack it one day.
Sweet build.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Impressive beast from an even more impressive modeller.

David
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

When I pick my jaw off the floor, I'll congratulate you on an astounding effort. Most admirable result, from an admirable artist!
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Wow!
I would be very pleased with that!
Great effort!

David
gengriz
Active Participant

Post by gengriz »

Wow!
50+ years of modelling: http://www.gengriz.co.uk
Recently retired after completing the biggest and most amazing construction kits in the whole world, EVER:
http://youtu.be/2syAt3jXq4s[/color]
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

What an ugly but very interesting beast.

And wonderfully built - considering what you started with.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

It's all been said already. Very nice.

Nigel
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

dollar19 wrote:Image

When I pick my jaw off the floor, I'll congratulate you on an astounding effort. Most admirable result, from an admirable artist!
+1 from me - when you pick your jaw up can you find mine please.

I loved Shaun's 'pile of cack' comment :-D
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
gbrwn56
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by gbrwn56 »

That is a fantastic piece of work, thanks for sharing.
George B.

Return to “Aviation Modelling”