Step by Step 1:32 Revell FW-190F

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Step by Step 1:32 Revell FW-190F

Post by Softscience »

A few folks have messaged me asking for a more detailed explanation of how I build and paint my models. As I told them, I'm not sure why they asked me, as my work, while competent, is in no way exceptional. But I appreciate that some of you enjoy my work enough to be interested in how I do it. In any case, I'm doing a WIP thread of this build elsewhere, so I figured I'd mirror it here for those folks who asked.

Without further ado.

Every now and again, a few neurons in my brain misfire, and I get the compunction to buy a 1:32 scale kit. I enjoy working in the larger scales, and I think the models tend to look great, but realistically, I don't have the space to display a collection of them. Hence, most of the ones I buy, maybe a dozen over the years, end up sitting in the attic, with one or two parts glued together. Many get resold. To date, one has been built. 

But I saw a build video of this kit on youtube, and after seeing this kit at my LHS for about $30, I couldn't resist (nb: I was also heavily inspired by Fred's amazing build of his 1/32 Revell Arado, and Daz's Airfix big-kits on this forum). To prevent it from becoming another piece of attic insulation, I cleared off the bench as soon as I got it home, and began working. 

Revell gives you a lot for a low price. The kit has a full BMW engine, really nice landing gear, positionable flaps, and control surfaces, and the ability to post the engine covers open to show off that nice engine and machine guns. The cockpit is a little spartan, but so was the real thing.  

I began with the tub, which is pretty work-a-day, so I spiced it up with some weathering of the floor area.
The base coat is a mix of Tamiya grays, with white added for highlight coats. Details are Vallejo colors applied with a small brush. I gave everything a dark brown wash, and semi-dry-brushed some silver scuff marks on the floor and edges of the pedals. I'll be adding straps to the rudder pedals shortly.  Finally I applied a little bit of "Industrial Dirt" Mig pigment to the floor. 

I started the seat too. The leather cushion was inspired by this old belt I have. This was a lot of fun to paint, and pretty simple too. I base coated with Vallejo black primer, and then stippled on some sand, and a light yellowish-gray shade. With a fine brush, I pulled some quick streaks across, to simulate cracked wrinkles. Once dry, it was given a translucent filter coat of a much thinned light reddish brown enamel.

Revell provides you with some seatbelt decals, but they look pretty cheesy. This might be an excuse to try out some of those Eduard fabric harnesses, but before I pull the trigger, I'm going to see if I can come up with a home brewed solution. 

PaulBradley
Staring out the window

Re: Step by Step 1:32 Revell FW-190F

Post by PaulBradley »

Where's that *popcorn* emoticon when you need it? ;-)

Good start, Ralph!
Paul

За демократію і незалежний Україну

"For Democracy and a Free Ukraine"
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

This is going to be good.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

Watching with interest; I have this in the stash to build and will welcome your insight into the build!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Thanks, guys. I hope I don't disappoint.

Step the second involves the instrument panels (yes, there are two in this plane).

I used a combination of Revell's instrument decals, and a few generic instrument decals (upper panel) I had laying around (lower panel). The decals were given a healthy coat of Mr. Mark Softener once over the high-relief detail of the panel pieces.
After the decals had dried, I highlighted the rim of each bezel with a silver prismacolor pencil. Or red sharpie in the case of the two on the lower right of the lower panel. 

Revell's decals look oversize on the sheet, but once they settle over all the high relief detail, they actually fit pretty good. 

A clear flat coat was sprayed on, and once dry, Future/Klear was applied onto each instrument face, to give it a glassy appearance. 

Outlining the bezels and adding clear coats may sound like redundant busy work, but I think they add an extra touch, and throw the instruments into relief.

Here is the lower panel with just the decals, and no outlining.

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Now this is interesting and thanks for taking the time to show us how you approach your modelling, Ralph. I like the idea of building in larger scales such as 1/32 or 1/24 but in reality I have absolutely no space in which to display models of that size and they would end up stored in boxes or whatever, which doesn't appeal and don't even think about hanging them from the ceiling within earshot of Mrs W as, like many wives, she is telepathic at short range :ha:

Great progress so far and I think highlighting the bezels on the IP has added good depth and also shows one of the advantages of working in a large scale, i.e. this type of detail work is humanly possible!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Will watch with interest. I only have the legendary (ahem) Airfix FW190 but this is one kit I've also thought about. I am trying to make storage space in the loft for stuff like this!!.
Very much like the seat cushion!.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

I'm all in on every post! Keep it coming!
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

I'll definitely be looking in on this!

Incidentally, I also seem to be one of those who collects 1/32 kits and stores them in the loft! I've currently got two Spits and a Mosquito stashed away, and a Messerschmitt 109E en route!
Daren

Half-assed Spitfire builder!
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

Thanks for the interest guys. I'm really happy to share my methods, and I hope they can help somebody out. [ul]I know that over the years (since 2007) I have learned A TON from the UAMF crowd[/ul], so I'm glad to give back.

Today's step is seems pretty small, but it required a good deal of parts cleanup, and will really make the next few steps fall together quickly. I trimmed, cleaned up and painted most (but not quite all) of the pieces that get an RLM 02 color. This included a lot of the engine access doors, flaps, tail wheel, landing gear bays, and gun deck parts. For now they're just painted. Later, they'll be getting washes, and all kinds of wear and tear.

For anybody wondering how I get the color shifting effect; it is pretty simple.

1) I base coat in black
2) I mix a highly thinned coat of the base color and apply it with a few quick passes of the airbrush. I don't let the color build up, and make sure most of the black shows through.

The panel on the left has a few thin coats applied over the black.

Then I slowly start to build up the colors in the center of the panels. I think of it as spraying a cloud with my airbrush. Again, I spray on thin coats, and repeatedly cover areas to taste, Its not very realistic, but it looks pretty neat on interior components.

top panel has cloud patterns sprayed on. Bottom panel is just thin base coats over black.

Another example. The effect is more pronounced around raised details

If you overdo it, you can always add some white paint to the paint in your brush, and go back over the centers and just make the whole thing overall lighter. If you REALLY overdo it, you can respray your black base coat.

IF YOU DON'T OWN AN AIRBRUSH. You can achieve similar effects with oil paints. Paint a primer base, then apply a dark color. Apply a brighter color in the center, as they begin to slowly dry, blend with a blending brush. Here is an excellent video on how it can be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BitmaECqO30
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

Very detailed and informative! These techniques are the ones a hack like me needs to learn. Rest assured I'll be looking forward to the next installment.
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

Very interesting stuff. I did Revell's Fw 190D-9 way back when, so this will make an entertaining comparison.
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

A very interesting tutorial on the colour shading, Ralph. The technique has really added depth to those parts. Another tool in the armoury of the modeller in the seemingly constant quest to make plastic resemble other materials! Great stuff.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

Excellent airbrush work. It will be a pleasure to watch this come together.
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Looking good, Ralph!
Great write-up too.

David

Return to “Aviation Modelling”