Spitfire colur scheme

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Spitfire colur scheme

Post by MarkyM607 »

Hi, I am currently working through my 92 Squadron RAF project and have come up against a dilemma. While building my Mk.IX I had followed the kit instructions and painted it Green and Grey, as per the day fighter scheme at the time. However 92 operated the Mk.VIII and IX in North Africa before crossing the Med and reaching Sicily and Italy.
I'm sure that they had dark earth and mid Brown colours on their Spit's but I now am not sure whether they would have repainted them in the Green/Grey scheme once in Italy. Perhaps there wouldn't have been time, what with operations and so on, to repaint them. The main reason I am trying to work this out is that it would save me repainting or stripping and repainting the existing Mk.IX, or making a new Mk.IX kit in desert colours to save the work on the current one.
I think they may have kept them desert coloured for some time, I think 112 Squadron with their P-40 variants did.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Marky. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
fredk

Re: Spitfire colur scheme

Post by fredk »

You could leave it in DFS but leave off the yellow on the wing leading edges.
Late on replacements were in DFS.
Choose an airframe number which was allocated late on

When 112 changed to the Mustang III they arrived in DFS minus yellow wing leading edges as those were Northern Europe idents
6 sqd Hurricanes Mk IVs late on were in DFS
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
MarkyM607

Re: Spitfire colur scheme

Post by MarkyM607 »

fredk wrote:You could leave it in DFS but leave off the yellow on the wing leading edges.
Late on replacements were in DFS.
Choose an airframe number which was allocated late on

When 112 changed to the Mustang III they arrived in DFS minus yellow wing leading edges as those were Northern Europe idents
6 sqd Hurricanes Mk IVs late on were in DFS
Thanks Fred, that's helpful ta.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.

Return to “Aviation Modelling”