Percival Proctor; FROG 1/72

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Eric Mc
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Percival Proctor; FROG 1/72

Post by Eric Mc »

CementNotGlue wrote:Lovely job!

Novo took over the Frog mould in the 80s.
Not quite. FROG ceased producing kits in 1976/77 due to the collapse of the group of which they were a part. The moulds were sold by the receiver to the government of the Soviet Union in 1977. The Soviets could not pay for the moulds because they did not have hard currency. An arrangement was made that the initial batches of each kit from Russian production would be sold through a UK operation branded as "Novo". All packaging, instructions etc originated in the UK. These kits were sold into the UK market in Novo packaging until such time as the sale price of each mould was met. Once that had been achieved, the relevant model would no longer appear as a Novo kit. In fact, usually that meant that the kit disappeared from sale in the UK as all future production would be for the internal market of the Soviet Union.

Most of kits packaged under Novo branding had disappeared by 1983/84. After that date, all kits destined for the Soviet markets, with much cruder packaging and poorer quality plastic and decals. Sometimes, small number of these poorly packaged models did find their way to the UK. I have a few in my stash even now.
bobblelink
Active Participant

Post by bobblelink »

skypirate wrote:Very worthwhile effort!
I believe that Proctors stood in for Stukas in the 1960s Battle Of Britain movie!
Now there a project for Daz's Movie Madness!

cheers,

David
They were deemed unsafe to fly and models were used instead!
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Very smart!
skypirate wrote:Very worthwhile effort!
I believe that Proctors stood in for Stukas in the 1960s Battle Of Britain movie!
Now there a project for Daz's Movie Madness!

cheers,

David
Why yes, that IS a red rag to a bull.....!

;-)
Daren

Half-assed Spitfire builder!
Marek

Post by Marek »

Top job on another 'bring back from the dead' project!
petervanlune
Series 3 and Beyond

Post by petervanlune »

Perhaps listed somewhere else on this forum, but a third book (apart from the obvious Lines/Hellstrom "Frog Modelaircraft" and mine about the Penguin range) is underways, although I dont know its current status, it focusses on the post-1976 era: http://www.frogmodelaircraft.co.uk/;
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Great resto work as always, Vacant.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

CementNotGlue wrote:
vacant wrote:For the ribbing, all I do is stretch some sprue, glue it down with liquid poly, wait until it all sets hard, then sand it down to what seems to be a reasonably thin depth - though I seldom get the thinness right. It often ends up being too thick, though layers of paint can help blend it in.
A good picture of the Procter, fin and rudder ribbing can be seen on page 74 of Action Stations 8. Military Airfields of Greater London by B. B. Halpenny

I'm experimenting with Plastruct 0.8mm triangle strips. Still not convincing. Skill is blending it in.

It's threads like this that keep me revisiting this forum. Thanks for sharing.
I regularly scratch-build WW1aircraft and have to put on ribs. Depending on the size of the aircraft Iuse Evergreen strip 10 x 20 thou or in the case of some larger ones 210 x 30 thou thou. I use liquid glue to hold them down and then sand them and paint over a la Vacant. The method generally works pretty well - see my current build on the Breuget in Workbench Corner on this site. Unfortunately thanks to PB all of the photos of my previous builds on this site are now inoperative but you can find them on the ATF site if you are interested (look under Stevef).
Spaceowl

Post by Spaceowl »

Mad skills, as I believe the youth of today say. Fantastic scratchbuilding work on the missing parts and what a lovely result. Did Miles ever build an ugly aircraft?
(EDIT: Yes, Spaceowl, yes they did, quite a few in fact. This was not one of them).
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939

Return to “Aviation Modelling”