Airfix 1/72 BAe Hawk T.1 (old tool)

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
PTB11
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Airfix 1/72 BAe Hawk T.1 (old tool)

Post by PTB11 »

That's an absolute beauty, Shaun. Your detailing really makes it pop. And how you ever got the white to cover the red plastic so well is a mystery to me... :grin:
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Many thanks, guys.

Zee - the masking was a bloody fiddly nightmare, I hate masking at the best of times but prefer to airbrush rather than brush paint so I'm stuck with having to do it!

Paddy - I used a Tamiya grey as an undercoat and then applied two coats of Revell matt white, thinned roughly 50/50 with white spirit - luck played its part as well I think :ha:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
CementNotGlue
Active Participant

Post by CementNotGlue »

A beauty!
How did you deal with the dividing perspex between the two pilots? I have the 1976 release of the Hawk.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Many thanks, CNG. As I had re-modelled the inaccurate OOB centre cowling in the cockpit, I was forced to make a new internal screen as the OOB one would no longer fit. After a couple of unsuccessful attempts using plastic packaging material, I used a section of leftover transparency from a Revell 1/35th Mercedes-Benz "Wolf" military 4x4 that I had kept in the spares box. I never throw anything away! The Revell transparency was quite thick, which helped in shaping the screen to fit both the profile of the new cowling and the inside profile of the canopy. In addition, I cheated with painting the framework over the internal screen, which should be on the outside of the canopy. No framework is moulded into the canopy by Airfix and to save time and in the interests of keeping the thing fairly neat, I opted to cheat and paint the outer edge of the internal screen to give the impression of an outer frame - the thickness of the Revell plastic helped here too. Please note that if an open canopy is to be modelled, Airfix would have the modeller attach the internal screen to the centre cowling, which is incorrect. The centre screen is actually attached to the canopy and therefore hinges open with it. The kit used for this build is essentially the same as the original 70's moulding but boxed as a Red Arrows machine and presented in red plastic. I think the only difference in parts is the inclusion of the centreline tank to enable the RA version to be built more accurately.

IPMS#12300
Titan
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Titan »

A pleasure to look at Shaun, a fantastic job on this kit and one I wouldn't mind being in my display.
Regards
Mark

Post by ShaunW »

Thanks a lot, Mark. I'm very much an admirer of your work and I'm sure you could improve on my efforts here!

IPMS#12300

Return to “Aviation Modelling”