Anyone for chess ? Airfix BE2c

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
PGAS
Active Participant

Re: Anyone for chess ? Airfix BE2c

Post by PGAS »

Looking great Splash. I have not built a kit that has the alignment jigs but they look like they are the cats meow. The two solutions by Airfix for strut alignment (the jig and the cross braced ones) look to ease builds immensely. Wish all manufactures would adopt something like this.
Paul

This is it. The moment we should have trained for.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Re: Anyone for chess ? Airfix BE2

Post by splash »

Lone Modeller wrote:I use copper wire to rig my models but I do not drill holes. I flatten and straighten the wire by rolling the wire on a flat wood board with a piece of brass strip (any flat metal would do). I then measure the lengths with dividers on the model and use superglue to hold the wire in place. I know that this method does not suit everyone but I find it quicker and ultimately less frustrating than drilling and filling endless holes. Very little retouching needed too.
I'm going to try to use the drilled hole system but might revert to your technique if I get any problems.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

I'm useing .125mm copper wire for the rigging and I'm not looking forward to the next bit attaching the upper wing :shock:

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

That's a bit of a cat's cradle, Alan. Looks hard to me. Best of British. I advise to keep that upper lip stiff and think of the Empire whilst engaged in the upper wing fitment process old chap!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Lone Modeller
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Lone Modeller »

That looks very good so far. I am sure that you will be able to get the top wing on and the threads into the holes in the lower wing.
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

ShaunW wrote:That's a bit of a cat's cradle, Alan. Looks hard to me. Best of British. I advise to keep that upper lip stiff and think of the Empire whilst engaged in the upper wing fitment process old chap!
Actually credit to Airfix there was no drama involved the wings and struts just fitted together, in fact if you don't won't to rig this sweet little kit it makes a brillient bi-plane starter kit.

Drilling out the attachment points on the lower wing has worked a treat, the copper wire was easy to thread through, once the wing has set solid I will tension and glue the rigging.

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

I've heard about the quality of this kit before. For me, the most fraught part of building a biplane is not so much the rigging but fitting the upper wing. I nearly always experience difficulty in lining up the two wings to avoid the top wing looking out of kilter and getting the stagger angle (if there is one) correct at the same time as dealing with the various struts - I often feel that I need four hands :roll: It would appear that this is one of those sweet biplane kits that helps the hamfisted, such as myself, rather than fighting all the way!

Great progress so far, Alan and this is really going to be an eyecatcher when it's done.

IPMS#12300
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Shaun another easy biplane to build is the old Matchbox Swardfish now issued by Revell the very solid centre struts make alignment of the Matchbox kit a breeze.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

splash wrote:Shaun another easy biplane to build is the old Matchbox Swardfish now issued by Revell the very solid centre struts make alignment of the Matchbox kit a breeze.
I built the FROG one last year and overall it was a nice kit that required barely any filler. The fuselage struts were OK but the interplane ones less so and I had to replace them with scratchbuilt items. The MB kit sounds like it might be an improvement over the Frogger for a classic kit build of the Swordfish - I did build the old Airfix one many moons ago but can't really say now whether it is good, bad or indifferent.

IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

The Airfix Swordfish is also an easy biplane with regard to the struts and wing assembly, although the cockpit assembly and fuselage closure can be 'interesting' :roll:

Cracking work on the BE2 Alan; that's going to be something special when finished :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

Super rigging - so pleased that it has worked so well.
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

A very inspirational build Splash, so much so that I've bought one for myself this afternoon and have already started by spraying the fuselage and tailplanes gloss white as you suggested. I've used Tamiya XF63 Olive Drab for the upper wing surfaces - because it was nearest to hand at the time. Also, if I still manage to stuff up my build I will of course be able to blame you entirely :ha: :ha: :ha:

I may have to buy at least another because I like the look of the other decal scheme in this kit, and then get the "Airship" one as well as you have Alan.
Dude - you're costing me a fortune!!

Keep it coming mate, cracking build of a truly excellent new kit from Airfix!

Cheers
Al.
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1
splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Sorry Al they are a bit addictive and can strip you bank balance :ha: :ha: :ha:

I have completed the rigging and just need to clean up the holes on the underside of the lower wing, Airfix has supplied us with a most helpful rigging plan in the instructions.

chrism

Post by chrism »

Looking good. BTW have you seen this build? the time-lapse video is worth a viewing

http://www.plasticmodelsworld.com/node/2114;
Trying to Build kits and not Buy kits
beany
Fat git, glasses, goatie - Avoid!

Post by beany »

chrism wrote:Looking good. BTW have you seen this build? the time-lapse video is worth a viewing
Great little video Chris - thanks for the link. I always find these really frustrating as I keep pausing them and want to ask "Ooh, how did you get that paint effect?" or "Ooh, how did you attach that rigging and what rigging thread did you use?"

I will definitely be using their method of painting pilots in future - very nice effect (shading and toning etc.).
2024 Acquired: 9 Built: 1

Return to “Aviation Modelling”