F-35B HMS QUEEN ELIZABETH 2018 1/72 FLY NAVY

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
gengriz
Active Participant

F-35B HMS QUEEN ELIZABETH 2018 1/72 FLY NAVY

Post by gengriz »

All fingers legs arms and toes crossed here that this coming week brings this particular model subject much closer to reality; subject to wind and tide, we should see a real Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier at sea for the first time since HMS HERMES paid off back in the 1980s (no through-deck cruisers here!).

The markings for 809 Sqn in HMS QUEEN ELIZABETH and HMS PRINCE OF WALES are largely from my own imagination and courtesy of my inkjet printer, but perhaps not that far from the truth.

This is Fujimi's delightful 1/72 F-35B kit, with a little hacking about from me (e.g. the rather obvious auxiliary air inlet is missing on the kit) and my own decals.

I haven't fitted any weapons in the open bays yet - some scratch built Meteors and SPEAR 3s are on the workbench!

And as a comparison, this is alongside Italeri/Revell's X-35B kit

FLY (ROYAL) NAVY !

FredT
50+ years of modelling: http://www.gengriz.co.uk
Recently retired after completing the biggest and most amazing construction kits in the whole world, EVER:
http://youtu.be/2syAt3jXq4s[/color]
celt
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: F-35B HMS QUEEN ELIZABETH 2018 1/72 FLY NAVY

Post by celt »

Lovely models of an horrible looking aircraft.Well tidy.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Very nicely done, Fred. Hopefully the aircraft and carrier(s) will fulfill the RN's needs for a good few years - a mind blowing amount of taxpayer's money has already been spent. I still can't help but wonder whether we would have been better either buying F-18s or going with with the more conventional version of the F-35 as per the U.S. Navy and stuck to catapults (HM Govt changed its mind on those and yet more money went down the drain!).
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

That looks very nice. The light grey paint around some of the panels always gives it a, 'not quite finished, still in primer' look. Even on the full sized machines.

Nigel
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

Gorgeous Fred! You'd think for the nearly $1 trillion the US govt. spent on this program, it would be a little more pleasing to the eye. At least have an on board coffee maker! On second thought, that would add an extra million$ to the price.
Anyway lovely model you did wonderful with it.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Both are great looking builds, one day I might even grow to like them :-D
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
gengriz
Active Participant

Post by gengriz »

Well, despite a few heart stopping moments, today has gone really well and once the tide drops tonight, HMS QUEEN ELIZABETH will pass under the 3 (yes 3, there were only 2 when we started) Forth Bridges and proceed to sea.

The largest and most complex machine ever built in Europe, designed in Bristol, built in Scotland (genuinely from girders!), definitely the pinnacle of my professional career (how do you top this?) and I can't wait for the first of our F-35s to land on.

4 acres of UK sovereign territory. Anytime. Any place. x2 !

FredT :)
50+ years of modelling: http://www.gengriz.co.uk
Recently retired after completing the biggest and most amazing construction kits in the whole world, EVER:
http://youtu.be/2syAt3jXq4s[/color]
iggie

Post by iggie »

Really pleased for you Fred, and for all the other people involved with the builds; it'll be great to see her 'flying off' the new F35s in due course :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"

Return to “Aviation Modelling”