Airfix 1/48 Folland Gnat T.1 Build

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Sunray
Active Participant

Airfix 1/48 Folland Gnat T.1 Build

Post by Sunray »

Hi chaps. I was lucky to see three Gnats display at Waddington a few years ago and I though I would give the Airfix 1/48 kit a bash. It would be nice to do all three but I think I will do just the one for now.

Anyway here we go.

My first look at the kit and I am impressed. Everything is nice, clean and sharp apart from the pilot which is a shame but then again at lease you get a pilot. The clear parts are nice and you get a choice of open or closed canopy. I will be using the closed canopy option as its an in-flight display and as sods law would have it there are a few small scratches on the one I will be using, but they should polish out. As for the decal sheet, the are also clean and sharp. The instructions are very easy to follow and well laid out.

I am also going to use Eduard's photo etch set to add a bit more detail to the cockpit. I was going to use a resin pilot but I changed my mind and decided to use the kit one.

I am a starting this later than I wanted due to the fact that I had to fix my shed roof to make it watertight and keep the rain off me. That hopefully done and on with the build. I am going to use bent acrylic rod to support the aircraft and have it in a banking climb. So first I measured the internal diameter of the jet pipe which was just over 6mm I think and then I had a look to see if I had roughly the right size rod which for once I did.

I attached the rear plate of the jet pipe and once the glue had cured I drilled out the 6mm hole first with a 3mm drill, then a 5mm and finally with a 6mm drill.

I did it this as I wanted a smooth regular hole for the rod.

My attention then shifted to the fuselage halves. There were a few injection marks on the cockpit sides so I filled them and I attached the air intakes and wheel wells.

Then on went the wheel well doors without any problems.

Now it was time for the cockpit tub, which again went together easily as per the instructions.

While I was doing this I also removed a bit of the instrument detail ready for the photo etch. I did the same for the seats but I haven't glued the seats to the tub yet.

As for the pilot I cleaned him up as best I could and to add so life to him I chopped off his head. Strange I know but you have to be cruel to be kind as you will see.

With the surgery done I drilled a hole in his head and neck to take a copper pin.

I used copper as it lets you move the head to the right position without snapping.

When I was happy I glued the head in position.

As I have said before the aircraft is going to be banking so hopefully now the pilot will be looking in a more natural direction than he was. Thats the plan anyway. His arms were attached one at a time and left to cure before moving on to the next. This was done to ensure his hands are covering the right controls. Again hopefully.

Next job were the internal air intake pipes that were painted and glued together and inserted without any problems.

As for the fit, I would love to say it was due to my skill but no it is the kit. As you can see the fit is very good which so far is the story of the kit. Now for the turbofan which is an important part as you will see. I sprayed it and added a bit of an oil wash just incase it will be seen.

With that done I glued the jet pipe and turbofan to a fuselage half.

As you can see, the moulding at the back of the fan has a hole in it but not 6mm and due to the shape of the fan I couldn't drill in to it as I wanted it to support the end of the acrylic rod. Oh well never mind. To get around this I decided to use a pencil sharper to reduce the rod to the required size.

And it worked.

With that done I went back to the cockpit. I painted it and gave it an oil wash then I added a few bits of photo etch.

Cheers
Ian

Please click on the web link below to have a look at all my photo's.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ecirpnai/albums
Clashcityrocker
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Airfix 1/48 Folland Gnat T.1 Build

Post by Clashcityrocker »

What a great start. The cockpit looks very good.

Nigel
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Oh man, it's great to see you working your magic on this kit, Ian, and that is a marvellous looking cockpit. I still haven't got round to buying the kit, despite it being on my wish list when first released :roll:
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

Great start!

Shame it's the wrong scale :ha:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

iggie wrote:Great start!

Shame it's the wrong scale :ha:
Yeah!! :lol: :lol:
(Mind you considering how big the Gnat isn't, it's probably still not that big in 48th!!. :lol:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Sunray
Active Participant

Post by Sunray »

Thanks lads. There will be an update in a few days as I have been busy sorting my shed roof again but its fixed now, touch wood.
Cheers
Ian

Sunray
Active Participant

Post by Sunray »

And here we go again. When I was happy with the dry fit of the cockpit tub and the photo etch, I glued the cockpit tub to one of the fuselage halves along with the instrument part for the nose.

The fit with the photo etch was pretty good and it all went together well.

Once that had all cured I attached the other half of the fuselage.

Everything went together without any problems and the fit is spot on. Airfix have supplied a part for the front wheel well in the closed position which was easy to attach but it needed a touch of filler. Once done I gave all the joints a sand and polish.

The wing assembly was straight forward and you have a choice of parts for the position for the flaps. The ailerons can be moved and I have gone for one slightly up and the other slightly down because the aircraft is going to be banking to the right. When I was happy with their position and checking with the direction the pilot is looking I glued the ailerons in position.

Then I attached the wings to the main fuselage along with the elevators and tail fin.

There was a slight gap at one of the wing roots but this was easily filled.

Everything else posed no problems and I was really happy with the geometry of how they all looked.

I dry fitted the wing tanks to see if it looked right.

I had a small step where the wing attached to one of the air intakes but that again was easily sorted.

Next job to do was to paint the pilot with Citadel paints and washes.

With the pilot done in the cockpit he went. Looking at photo's I decided to add a few pieces of lead to act as the seat belt from the back of the seat to the main seat harness on the pilots shoulder. I already had fly fishing lead strip that just needed trimming to the right length and width.

Then they were glued in position using CA glue ready for painting.

Then they were painted. Just a cheap addition but I thinks it works.

Moving on, I painted bottom edge of the rear seat black before I glued in place to help prevent silvering that you sometimes get on clear parts and I glued that in position used watered down PVA.

Now for the canopy. As I have said before I had a small scratch on the canopy.

It wasn't too deep so I managed to sand and polish it out and I cleaned and dipped the canopy in Klear to finish off.

The canopy is really clear with hardly any distortion as you can see for the photo's so I dry fitted it to the fuselage just to check the fit.

And that's up to date so until the next time...........
Cheers
Ian

Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

That cockpit's a work of art, Ian.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Veeeeerrry nice.

Nigel
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Good stuff. Great look to the pilot. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

This is looking soooooooooo sweet.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
iggie

Post by iggie »

Super work thus far Ian; the ejector handles are spot on!

(still the wrong scale though..... :ha: )
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Wow!
This is an excellent build description, thanks!
I am not a great fan of PE, but it certainly makes a wonderful difference in this cockpit.

terrific job!

David
Sunray
Active Participant

Post by Sunray »

Thanks chaps. Just a quick update. The canopy is now on as is the landing light. I have also made a homemade pitot tube out of bits knocking around my bench and I will post up the photo's either tonight or tomorrow. I am going to the my lovely wife a cup of tea & a sandwich so she will leave my alone to go in the shed to carry on with the build. So I hope to catch you later.
Cheers
Ian

gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Great work on what appears to be a very nice kit.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models

Return to “Aviation Modelling”