Airfix 1/48 Folland Gnat T.1 Build

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Sunray
Active Participant

Re: Airfix 1/48 Folland Gnat T.1 Build

Post by Sunray »

Thanks mate. I attached the canopy with PVA and while that was curing I had a think about the nose landing light. I was going to paint the back of the light but It didn't give the effect I was after. So looking around my shed I came across a roll of cooking foil. So I cut off a small piece and glued it to the nose with PVA glue, smoothing out any creases with a cotton bud before the glue cured. When the glue had dried I then I cut off the excess foil using a new razor blade.

I then attached the light lens again with PVA.

As you can see from the photo the effect works really well and its cheap.

My next job to do was the pitot tube. I find the first thing to snap off a finished kit is the plastic kit pitot tube so if I can I will replace the kit part with a metal one.

So as normal I will have a look around my bench to see what bits are knocking around and I came across half of a syringe needle (the other half of the needle was used as a machine gun barrel on a 1/32 Revell Lee Tank I am also doing) and a pin.

The diameters were roughly the right sizes as the kit part. Using my Dremel I cut the needle to the required length, using the kit part as a template.

Then I cut the pin this time with a pair of pliers. The length doesn't have to be too accurate as the pin is going to sit inside of the needle.

Then using the kit part as a guide for the size I glued them together using CA glue. Once the glue had cured I attached the homemade metal pitot tube to the aircraft nose again using CA glue.

I also used CA glue to fill the small gap between the pitot tube and the nose.

Job done.

Another cheap idea. I use a car sponge to support my models during the builds. I normally have to cut bits out of the sponge to fit the kit but it works quite well.

Now for the nav lights. I tidied the lights up as best I could while still on the sprue so they didn't disappear and go walkabout in my shed as small parts do and I drilled a small hole in each to act as a bulb. Then I painted the light backs and the wing tip housing red and green.

I then cut the lights off the sprue but I didn't trim off the excess sprue off the light. I had a brainwave and I decided it would my them easier to handle with a bit of sprue still attached, which it did. I then proceeded to glue on the lights using PVA glue.

To make sure these were a good fix I carefully ran a small bead of Tamiya Extra Thin along the joint of each light.

The reason for this is when I am sanding the lights flush I didn't want them to fall off the wing tip, which would be just my luck. Now using a skinny stick I rubbed both lights down.

Then it was just a case of a bit of polishing.

Now I moved on to the canopy to do a touch of masking. First with tape.

And then with fluid.

Not forgetting the lights.

Now its ready for paint!
Cheers
Ian

Please click on the web link below to have a look at all my photo's.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ecirpnai/albums
Sunray
Active Participant

Post by Sunray »

Before I started to spray the primer, I masked inside the air intakes with thin masking tape and foam. As I still have a bottle of Badgers Stynylrez I used that for the primer coat. My bottle hasn't thickened up yet so on it went.

I added a touch of masking fluid to the front of the canopy just in case I missed a bit and the pitot tube looks a bit bent in the photo as I have stab myself a few times. With the blood cleaned off I straightened it without any further injury.

Now for a bit of pre-shading with thinned Tamiya XF1 black.

For the base coats I am going to use MRP paint for the first time and see how I get on with them.

First I sprayed the underside of the wings with Light Gull Grey (MRP-98).

The paint is lacquer based and is already thinned but stinks so an extractor is a must. But to say I was impressed would be an understatement. Its leaves a beautiful finish as its excellent to spray.

Less than an hour later I had masked off the undersides and sprayed the white areas.

Again the finish is excellent. A lot more than an hour later I masked again this time for the red. For the white strips on the wings, to line them up correctly; I had to temporary attach the drop tanks as a guide for the masking tape.

Now for the red. The red I found was a bit thinner than the other paints so I had to give it loads of thinner coats but again it gave an excellent finish.

Now for some unmasking. Being thin paint there was a bit of over spray but not as much as I thought and that shouldn't cause any major problems hopefully.

Cheers
Ian

MarkyM607
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by MarkyM607 »

Some smashing and proper modelling work going on there!. Nice one. How is the kit overall?.
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Sunray
Active Participant

Post by Sunray »

MarkyM607 wrote:Some smashing and proper modelling work going on there!. Nice one. How is the kit overall?.
Thanks Mark. The kit is very good apart from the pilot and I would recommend the photo etch cockpit.
Cheers
Ian

Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Lovely job with the masking and painting. It's looking super.

Nigel
Sunray
Active Participant

Post by Sunray »

Thanks Nigel. I managed to sort out the over spray without any problems. Then I stabbed myself again with the pitot tube and proceeded to drop the Gnat on the floor. Lucky there wasn't any serious damage, just a few marks on the wing tips, tail and on the canopy mask. So out came the airbrush to do a bit of touching up. For the anti-glare on the nose and the treads on the air intakes I was going to use MRP NATO Black but when I sprayed it on the nose it looked more like slate grey. So I changed my mind and used Tamiya XF1 Black instead. Once dry I removed the masking tape and then I attached the drop tank using Tamiya Extra Thin glue.

I left it overnight for everything to dry. Next I added a few coats of Tamiya X22 Clear Gloss thinned with Levelling Thinner (50-50) to seal everything ready for adding the decals tomorrow. One thing I have found out while making this kit is the MRP Paint. Its easy to spray, smells, dries really fast and gives an excellent hard finish. I will definitely be using that again.

Cheers
Ian

gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

This is going to look very smart.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
Clashcityrocker

Very sharp, as is that pitot probe. Step back if you drop it, it's likely to impale your foot :shock:

Nigel
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Clashcityrocker wrote:Very sharp, as is that pitot probe. Step back if you drop it, it's likely to impale your foot :shock:

Nigel
That would be interesting at A&E!!. 'What seems to be the problem Sir?."
"I've got an Airfix Gnat impaled in my foot!."
"????". :lol: :lol:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Sunray
Active Participant

Post by Sunray »

Clashcityrocker wrote:Very sharp, as is that pitot probe. Step back if you drop it, it's likely to impale your foot :shock:

Nigel

Nigel
Come on lads this is no laughing matter. This isn't an "Adrian Mole moment", this is life and death. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Ian

Sunray
Active Participant

Post by Sunray »

On to the decals, I used Micro Set & Sol to apply the decals and it was a straight forward operation without any problems. I left the decals over night to adhere to the varnish coat. I also painted the jet nozzle, strobe lights and antennas while I was waiting. The following day I gave it a more few more light coats of varnish to seal in the decals and finally a quick light spray of Self Levelling Thinner, to give an even shine.

Next I made up an oil wash for the panel lines and proceeded to apply it to the panel lines. Once dry I used a cotton bud with a tiny amount of oil paint thinner on it and I started removing the excess oil wash, dragging the cotton bud from front to rear over the panel lines. Once this was complete I sprayed the model again but this time with a flat matt varnish. This tones down the gloss finish and seals in the oil wash. When the flat varnish has dried I removed the masks from the Nav Lights, Canopy and Landing Light.

Cheers
Ian

iggie

Post by iggie »

Sunray wrote:

Nigel

Nigel
Come on lads this is no laughing matter. This isn't an "Adrian Mole moment", this is life and death. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Surely more important than that?!!! :shock: :-D :-D :-D

She's looking rather good Ian :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Sunray
Active Participant

Post by Sunray »

Thanks Iggie. Now for the stand. The base itself is just a piece of oak flooring with the ends and sides routed and polished.

The 6mm acrylic rod was cut to size and bent using a small heat gun from the Hobbycraft store.

All that was now needed was a 6mm hole drilled in the base and we are ready to rock!

And its done. Thanks to everyone for all the support during the build which in most appreciated as always and I am sorry if I bored anyone along the way. The final reveal photo's with be posted shortly and thanks again.
Cheers
Ian

Clashcityrocker

That looks superb. Beautifully built and finished, top pics too. 10/10 :)

Nigel
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Wow! Totally gobsmacked!
You have done the Gnat complete justice.
Beautiful model, particularly in flying mode.

Cheers,

David

Return to “Aviation Modelling”