DazDaMan's Spitfire

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
DazDaMan
Modelling Gent and Scholar

DazDaMan's Spitfire

Post by DazDaMan »

Well, I've decided to take a temporary break from doing movie models and do a "real life" model instead (although the real one did appear in a documentary, so does it count as a TV star??)

A wee while ago, I acquired one of these kits from a chap on Facebook:

I built one a while back, and rather enjoyed it, and always wanted to build another, so when this one appeared I decided to snatch it up!

Given that Dunkirk is such a big subject at the moment, there's only really one logical option for this build, and it's this one....

This Spitfire was brought down on the beach during a dogfight, and its pilot captured.

Over the course of time, the tides covered N3200 in sand, and she remained buried for a further 40-plus years, before being recovered in 1986. She was meticulously restored to fly a few years ago, and is now a star attraction at the Imperial War Museum, to whom she was donated in 2015.

She was, of course, the subject of the great Channel 4 documentary, Guy Martin's Spitfire, where the enthusiastic engineer aided in some aspects of the fighter's rebuild. If you can, get hold of the DVD of this programme, as it's a great watch, and includes a great dogfight sequence between a Spit and a Buchon!
Daren

Half-assed Spitfire builder!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Re: DazDaMan's Spitfire

Post by ShaunW »

Good subject choice for this latest Spit build, Daren. I've seen the Guy Martin documentary to which you refer a couple of times and agree that it is well worth a watch (I am biased though and enjoy most of his programmes, to say nothing of watching his exploits on a motorcycle at events such as the Isle of Man TT).
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

So, we started off like this....

Then did this....

And this....

And very quickly got to this!

I do love these older kits. No faffing about!
Daren

celt

Post by celt »

Hi DazDaMan,could I ask a quick question?I noticed in the first photo a load of Revell acrylic paint pots,how do you find them?Nice progress BTW.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Exceptional progress Daren!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

celt wrote:Hi DazDaMan,could I ask a quick question?I noticed in the first photo a load of Revell acrylic paint pots,how do you find them?Nice progress BTW.
I used to be an enamels man - started using them when I built my first model way back when - but I started using Aqua-colors when I began building models after a few years off.

I find them great - easy to use, easy to mix, and easy to apply with a brush (I never use an airbrush). I also find they go a long way compared to the enamels - mind you, that was probably more down to my kack-handed application than anything else!
Daren

DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Well, that was quick!

Pity about the big gap at the wing root, mind!
Daren

celt

Post by celt »

DazDaMan wrote:
celt wrote:Hi DazDaMan,could I ask a quick question?I noticed in the first photo a load of Revell acrylic paint pots,how do you find them?Nice progress BTW.
I used to be an enamels man - started using them when I built my first model way back when - but I started using Aqua-colors when I began building models after a few years off.

I find them great - easy to use, easy to mix, and easy to apply with a brush (I never use an airbrush). I also find they go a long way compared to the enamels - mind you, that was probably more down to my kack-handed application than anything else!
I too started with enamels but my wifes illness means I can no longer use enamels,I have tried most acrylics such as Humbrol,Tamiya and Velljo all with disappointing results,do you prime the model before using Aqua colors or do you brush straight on the model.I will visit my LMS tomorrow and buy a few pots.
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

I brush straight on to the model - usually a couple of coats will do it. Obviously it's up to yourself if you want to prime the thing beforehand, but I don't.

A really good thing about the Aqua-color paint is you can thin them with water, or mix them to your heart's content to get differing shades. The cockpit green on this model was done using fern green and white (it might not be 100% accurate, but it looks OK!).
Daren

celt

Post by celt »

DazDaMan wrote:I brush straight on to the model - usually a couple of coats will do it. Obviously it's up to yourself if you want to prime the thing beforehand, but I don't.

A really good thing about the Aqua-color paint is you can thin them with water, or mix them to your heart's content to get differing shades. The cockpit green on this model was done using fern green and white (it might not be 100% accurate, but it looks OK!).
Thanks for the ifo DazDaMan,this could make all the difference as to whether I stick with this hobby or give it up completely.
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Give it a bash and let us know how you get on.
Daren

DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

Just doing some of the more fiddly bits of the Spit just now - but I've started painting the undersides already!

N3200 is a bit more unusual than most Dunkirk-era Spits, in that she has the black and white wings, but also the plain aluminium lower cowlings and rear fuselage retained. You can just make it out in this shot of the aircraft climbing away....

Interestingly, something at the back of my mind made me search out a snippet from the recent ITV drama "The Halcyon" on YouTube. The scene shows pilots scrambling to Spitfires. Guess which Spit appears in that?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ncf4IVSUbI;
Daren

celt

Post by celt »

DazDaMan wrote:Give it a bash and let us know how you get on.
Just returned from my LMS armed with a few pots of Aqua color and a hobby boss easy kit to try them on.Let you know how I get on.BTW the black,white and silver undersides look much better than plain sky.Well tidy work as usual.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Daz building a Spitfire.. ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :ha: :ha: :ha:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

:ha:
Daren

Return to “Aviation Modelling”