A rare gem from the stash; Airfix Canberra B.6 in 1/72

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Chuck Finley
Modelling Gent and Scholar

A rare gem from the stash; Airfix Canberra B.6 in 1/72

Post by Chuck Finley »

Ladies and Gentlemen, I now present my second completed entry to the "Bombing Aircraft" group build:

I had picked up a copy of the old Airfix Canberra B(i)6 that dated back to 1983 a few years ago. Outside of some limited run kits, it was the only goldfish bowl canopy Canberra in 1/72 scale plastic. Around 1987, Airfix converted the mold to make a B-57B so there will be no future releases of this interesting version. (Too bad as the Italeri B-57 was a better kit). I always purchase models to build, never collect and this kit was no different. As part of the current bomber build, I decided on something old and something new. The new bomber was represented by the newly released HP Victor and the Canberra was something old. The aircraft was build straight from the box with new decals by Freightdog Models. Enjoy.

EE Canberra B.6, WH948, 101 Squadron RAF on detachment to Butterworth, Malaya for 'Operation Mileage', against the MRLA, February, 1955.

And yes, I was able to get it to sit on it's nose wheel after filling every empty space forward of the main landing gear (including wing leading edges) with lead shot. It was one tail heavy model.
On second thoughts, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place!
Saxon

Re: A rare gem from the stash; Airfix Canberra B.6 in 1/72

Post by Saxon »

Looks good. I have 2 of these in the stash, should build one soon.
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nice work.

Nigel
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

Congratulations on getting it to sit on its nose - no mean achievement in itself! An excellent build and superb metallic finish.
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

Lone Modeller wrote:Congratulations on getting it to sit on its nose - no mean achievement in itself! An excellent build and superb metallic finish.
Thanks. Getting it to sit on it's nose involved filling the fuselage forward of the main landing gear with weight and then adding extra weight by shoving it in the wing leading edges through the wheel wells. Even then, it barely balances on the nose gear. That is one seriously tail heavy model! :shock: :shock:
celt

Post by celt »

Well tidy,well tidy indeed.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

Second completed entry?... no one likes a show off you know!! :ha: :ha: :ha:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Lovely stuff! I have (finally) got one of these after a lot of searching (and avoiding those people asking too much for one) and I appreciate the heads-up about tail sitting, I too will go bonkers with the lead!

Excellent model mate.
Chuck Finley

Post by Chuck Finley »

MarkyM607 wrote:Second completed entry?... no one likes a show off you know!! :ha: :ha: :ha:

You think that's bad. Being a Middle School teacher on summer vacation has allowed me the time to do some building these last two months. In addition to the Victor and Canberra, you can add two car door hawker Typhoons, Sukhoi Su-7B, Mig Ye-152, USS Hornet CVS-12, three Centurions (A41, Mk.3, and Mk.5), a Charioteer, Merkava Mk.IV, Matillda IICS, Matilda Mk.III, two M3A3 Stuarts, and a Russo-Japanese war 11" Siege Howitzer. You could say, I have had a busy summer. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
CementNotGlue
Active Participant

Post by CementNotGlue »

Very nice, I like this. Always fancied replicating a Suez operations machine with invasion stripes such as a 10 squadron machine or Canberra WH801.

Ray Rimell was not happy with the forward, "overwide", nose and engine and wingtip tank profiles; so he exalted the knitting of the Airfix and Frog kits to make an accurate B(1) Mk 8!

Return to “Aviation Modelling”