D.H. Twin Otter Matchbox 1/72

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
vacant
Modelling Gent and Scholar

D.H. Twin Otter Matchbox 1/72

Post by vacant »

This was a recent purchase, costing all of £3 from a trader at a model show. It seemed like a bargain not to be turned down. It had been partly built but very little had been done. For Matchbox, it's a fine kit, i.e., no deep trench lines. There are even options to build an aircraft on floats, skis or 'normal' undercarriage. The model can be built as either an RCAF or one from Auringy Airlines, both in overall yellow. The kit comes in three colours of plastic, white, grey and black. Work that one out!

Building the model should have been straightforward and for most competent modellers, that would certainly be the case. I decided in advance that it would be a tail sitter, so I packed the forward part of the fuselage with lead (I use lead from lead weights that are used as wheel balances). I covered it with filler to seal it in. Then I fitted the windows, glued the fuselage halves together and painted it.

So far, so good. Then a sudden move seemed to shake the lead weight loose. Now it could slide around at will. What to do? Option one was to just leave it as it would not really be a problem when sitting on a shelf. But no, that wasn't good enough - I had to do something about it. I decided that the best, no, the only, option was to remove a window and squirt some superglue inside. Yes, I knew there was a risk of superglue fogging the glazing, but it was a risk I decided to take.

So I removed a window and inserted the nozzle of a superglue. I gently squeezed some glue and hoped for the best. The best, however, did not happen. A few hours later, the fumes had got to some of the windows, including all three of the flight deck windows and several along the fuselage. The only solution was to remove the affected windows. I was able to rescue the flight deck windows by scraping the fogging away with a fingernail. The fuselage windows could not be saved so I had to make some new ones from clear plastic card.

I wouldn't mind so much but this is not the first time I have made this mistake. I have a Super Constellation with a lead weight that slides around. The solution is to make sure that lead weights are well and truly secured, with extra bulkheads if necessary. Ah well - put it down to experience.
iggie

Re: D.H. Twin Otter Matchbox 1/72

Post by iggie »

That's a lovely build and as ever, beautifully photographed.
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Despite the fight it put up its a superb build. Nice one.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Despite all those unexpected issue it turned out fine.
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

Really nice, wish I'd picked one of these up when they were readily available. As always, nicely built and presented, and that photo looks totally convincing. Is that actually a Canadian ski hill photo?
vacant

Post by vacant »

The photo is around the ski slopes around Vail in the USA - sorry, not in Canada. I cheated. The Revell reboxed version is pretty easily available. I'm sure there are some on sale in my local Hobbycraft shop right now.
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

Just shows that cheap kits do not have to be nasty.... Beautifully finished and as usual very well photographed.
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Excellent work and presentation as always Vacant. I have a couple of these in the deep stash and at least two of the Hobbycraft re-issues, and feel the need to get cracking on at least one of them for some reason........
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
celt

Post by celt »

Well tidy mun.

Return to “Aviation Modelling”