Trumpeter Vickers Wellington Mk.1c 1/72

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Lone Modeller
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Trumpeter Vickers Wellington Mk.1c 1/72

Post by Lone Modeller »

As a fellow user of the hairy stick method of applying paint, I take my hat off t you for that finish. Very well done - a first class model all round.
LarryH57
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by LarryH57 »

I presume it is possible to combine the fuselage of their Mk III with the wings of this Mk Ic as I'd like to build a hybrid with no window in the starboard nose?
iggie

Post by iggie »

Thanks again for the kind words folks!

Larry, I haven't got he Mk.III tooling in my stash, but I can't see that the wing attachment would have been changed between the two toolings, so I would say that yes, a hybrid would be do-able
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Wow! That does look great!
Beaut job!

David
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

That looks great! I want to do a Wimpy but out of loyalty to Uncle Airfix I´m going to wait.
running at the edge of their world
LarryH57
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by LarryH57 »

Another project might be to use the fuselage with the long windows over the wings, with Mk X Hercules engines to make a T Mk 10 in all over silver paint scheme, as my Dad flew these in 1950s. I would love to try this out, but not having the kit in my stash I have no idea if the Mk 1c nose window on the starboard side can be filled in or disguised very well by an amateur like me! Has anyone tried to do this, as in any case that window soon disappeared on night ops even on Mk 1c so as not to attract night-fighters
iggie

Post by iggie »

Looking at pictures of the Mk 10 Larry, I'd suggest gluing some thin plastic strip or even some tape (electrical masking tape) cut into narrow strips over the clear window, to match the rubbing immediately behind the window, then over paint along with the rest of the fuselage
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
syd-baines

Post by syd-baines »

i don`t know anything about planes but i know a good model when i see one and this is a good model, please excuse my ignorance here is the frame work where the missing panels are scratch built,
iggie

Post by iggie »

syd-baines wrote:i don`t know anything about planes but i know a good model when i see one and this is a good model, please excuse my ignorance here is the frame work where the missing panels are scratch built,
Thanks Syd! :grin:

The framing is part of the signature Vickers construction method for the Wellington (and a couple of others too), as developed by Barnes Wallis who went on to create the 'bouncing bomb' and the swing-wing concept. The Wellington had large clear sections formed of perspex mounted over the frame, rather than forming window frames which would weaken the structure. In the photo below, you can see the geodetic framing that the entire fuselage and wing surfaces were formed from with either canvas or perspex later applied over it as desired.

Credit: Imperial War Museum/RAF Photographer
Best wishes

Jim
Marek

Post by Marek »

wow, a beauty. I have a soft spot for the Wellington, ever since I have seen the matchbox box as a kid :)

Return to “Aviation Modelling”