Frog/Novo Canberra B(I)8

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Spaceowl
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Frog/Novo Canberra B(I)8

Post by Spaceowl »

i decided when I came back on the forum that I would post pictures of every project I finished, even if the quality was, as in this case, less than stellar. This was a refurb. project, making over a Soviet Frog copy Canberra that I had built in 2009 and that I hoped to spruce up a bit. Alas, I just made it a different sort of bad, but I'm treating it as a learning experience and moving on.
Some photos:

This was a model of one of the four Indian Air Force Canberra B(I)8s of no.5 'Tuskers' Squadron sent to Congo in 1960. They had an interesting career, eventually putting the Katangan Air Force out of action in one mission and then going on to give valuable support to UN ground forces.

The kit was a terrible piece of old trash, with hard bright yellow plastic and a lack of visible panel lines, but it really wasn't the kit's fault. Some of my worse mistakes were:

*Poor quality finish - visible gaps along joints that I had forgotten to fill, roughness where the sanding wasn't adequate to the job.
*Bad paintwork - as you can see in the pictures.
*Lack of decent aftermarket bits - there's tons of these for the Canberra on the marketplace and the only reason I can offer for not getting more of them is being cheap. The only aftermarket product I used were the rather nice if excessively frail decals by DP Casper, reminiscent of Propagteam in their early days.

In all, something of a botched build, but if nothing else it's encouraged me to do it again starting with a better kit and then putting into practice the lessons I learned on this one.
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
Eric Mc

Re: Frog/Novo Canberra B(I)8

Post by Eric Mc »

I built a Russian knock off version of this Canberra a couple of years ago. The Russian mouldings are very poor. In its original FROG guise it was a quite decent (if basic) model.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

I have done Frog, Novo and a very cheap Version from Russia of this kit. The Frog and Novo ones were ok but the cheapo one had very soft 'soapy' half way between kit and Airfix Soldier type plastic. It can be built into a decent model and to be honest yours doesn't look too bad. Quite nice in fact. Nice one.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Wow!
Great to see this model.
I have the Novo kit built in the very same hand-painted markings; done many years ago as part of a small collection for my ex-Indian Air Force Dad! It came back to me when he passed away, and I am hoping to restore it, but not in those markings.

cheers,

David
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

That old model is looking OK. It must be over 50 years old now. I get a nice finish on plain silver by filling a standard paint jar with Klear and then putting a brushful of Acrylic Matt Black in it. Give it a shake and add to surface with a flat brush. It tones and smooths the silver finish and leaves a little matt black in the details.

About three coats on the Mig.
So many models, so little time.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

It's not quite 50 years old. I seem to remember the reviews of it when it was new in Aviation News - and that would have been 1972 or 1973.
Spaceowl

Post by Spaceowl »

Eric Mc wrote:It's not quite 50 years old. I seem to remember the reviews of it when it was new in Aviation News - and that would have been 1972 or 1973.
Yes, that would mesh with my memory of it too. It must have been one of Frog's last new releases.

Thanks for the kind words, but I think this is still one that I will revisit in years to come.

BTW, Skypirate, did your Dad fly with the Tuskers?
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Spaceowl wrote:BTW, Skypirate, did your Dad fly with the Tuskers?
Nope! He was Education Branch, not a flier, but I grew up on various air force stations and got well and truly bitten by the bug.

David

Return to “Aviation Modelling”