Heller 1/72 Fouga Magister

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Spaceowl
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Heller 1/72 Fouga Magister

Post by Spaceowl »

This is probably as obscure a subject as I will model this year - a Fouga Magister light ground attack aircraft of the Katanganese Air Force in 1961.

The aircraft had an interesting history - three of them were bought new from the Fouga factory in France in 1960 but two were quickly lost when UN forces captures the airfield they were based at. The remaining one was flown to great effect by the Belgian mercenary Jacques Deulin, strafing a company of Irish UN troops and setting fire to five cargo aircraft at Elaizabethville. This led U.S. State Department official, Wayne Fredericks, to comment: “I have always believed in air power, but I never thought I’d see the day when one plane would stop the United States and the whole United Nations.

Armed with two locally-made 20mm cannon pods, the aircraft single handedly established air superiority over Katanga and was the chief cause of the establishment of the UN Air Contingent in the Congo. It was shot up on the ground on 23 December 1962 by a Swedish AF Saab J-29 and never flew again. After the Magister's loss the KAF fought on with decreasing numbers of T-6 Havards (planned for a later build).

Kit by Heller, and quite a good one too (probably better than the Airfix, although there's not much in it). Went together easily and captures the shape of this quite unusual 60s jet trainer. Decals by DP Casper, nicely printed but quite frail and likely to acquire a death grip on the first surface they're placed on if not treated with care.
All in all a good fun build.
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
The Great Auk

Re: Heller 1/72 Fouga Magister

Post by The Great Auk »

You've really done yourself proud with this beauty, Spaceowl!

I think that "weathered by the sun" look is well represented here.

The brief history was much appreciated too. I had no idea about aircraft in that conflict besides those SAABs.

I will be looking forward to that Harvard!

The Great Auk

P.S. I've got one of these kits in the pile...somewhere. Reassuring to know the Heller version is preferred.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Now that is a thing of beauty. Many thanks for the history lesson too. Not a conflict I know anything about. Looking forward to more of your builds.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Very cool. I have the Airfix one somewhere in the deep stash.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
iggie

Post by iggie »

Very smart build indeed and the faded hi-vis orange is very nicely done. Very interesting background information as well
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"

Return to “Aviation Modelling”