Tamiya 1/48 Douglas skyraider

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
kpnuts
Active Participant

Tamiya 1/48 Douglas skyraider

Post by kpnuts »

Hi all I don't normally do planes (to be honest I'm rubbish at them) but I remember building the airfix one as a young lad and I remembered it had so many more parts than any other plane I ever built, well I saw it and it bought back happy memories so I bought it, it's been in the stash for a while and since I'm starting to get bored of the ships at the moment and looking in the stash no cars took my fancy I thought while I'm waiting for my pocher 1/4 ducati I would pull this out and have a go. I'm not intending to try and build some great model as i dont have the knowledge or skill with a plane, I am intending to do the Knight Rider 300 version from the kit.
Anyhow here is the kit and my start on it.
celt
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Tamiya 1/48 Douglas skyraider

Post by celt »

I have always liked the spad,look forward to your progress.
kpnuts
Active Participant

Post by kpnuts »

Hi all well I'm still doing it and here is the next update.
kpnuts
Active Participant

Post by kpnuts »

Hi all done a bit more on this. I have to say I'm a bit disappointed with tamiya they only give the option for landing gear down and I wanted it up but the doors are a really bad fit when you cut the unnecessary bits off to have them shut, I've bodged it up as best I can.
Marek

Post by Marek »

nice going so far! It is a very good kit.
Spaceowl

Post by Spaceowl »

You can't be that rubbish - it's already better than mine! Keep up the good work.
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
celt

Post by celt »

Well tidy,so far,keep it up.
kpnuts
Active Participant

Post by kpnuts »

Hi all well I've developed a bad habit of starting models and not finishing them(I get to a boring bit or a tricky bit, or it's just not going very well (like this one) and I shelve it)

Well I've decided this yr I'm going to try and restart, and who knows maybe even God forbid finish a few.

Well this one not being a subject im very good at got left as soon as the going got even slightly tricky, when I left off (The kit dose not have the option for landing gear up but that was how I wanted it, simple enough I thought) the landing gear doors would not shut properly so I valiantly struggled for about 5 mins then shelved it and gave up.

Well I've started it again and ive done my best with landing gear doors, had a go at doing the panel lines with a pin wash ruined it, stripped the paint off had another go, same result so this time I repainted it and tried my own idea I got some 600 grit and a piece of black pastel which I sanded over the wing I then rubbed it in with my finger, then wiped the mess off with a damp cloth, i am quite pleased with the effect.

I've added some weathering (probably not great as I know little about planes but I'm happy with how it's going)

iggie

Post by iggie »

That seems to have worked nicely
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

It's great to see our Skyraider back and that is a good effort with the weathering - apart from once managing some exhaust staining on an Airfix Lancaster using my airbrush, I always seem to bottle it when it comes to weathering aircraft although I routinely weather military vehicles.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Miss-Stang
Active Participant

Post by Miss-Stang »

I think you've achieved quite a good result with your weathering. I've never got on very well washes myself so I tend to use an old Tamiya weathering block (it's a bit like an eyeshadow trio, probably why I find it easier ;-) ). Just remember, what works for one won't always work for another, but it's what works for you. As long as you're happy with the results.

Keep up the good work.
Regards,

Miss-Stang
celt

Post by celt »

I think your weathering looks really good,weathering and rigging are no go areas for me :sad:
Regards
celt
kpnuts
Active Participant

Post by kpnuts »

Next update, last one for a fortnight (holiday of a lifetime cruising the Caribbean)

iggie

Post by iggie »

Looking good!
Enjoy your cruise 8-)
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
celt

Post by celt »

iggie wrote:Looking good!
Enjoy your cruise 8-)
Ditto
Regards
celt

Return to “Aviation Modelling”