Airfix 1/72 Vought F4U-1D Corsair

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Springy67
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Airfix 1/72 Vought F4U-1D Corsair

Post by Springy67 »

So, the other day I was grating some Parmesan over my Spaghetti Putanesca when my wife said to me,"You know, with a little bit of work, that cheese grater could be made into a reasonable representation of a Vought F4U-1D Corsair." And you know what, she was right!

This is, of course, the ancient Airfix kit (1964?) but I got the much more recent(!) 1970's boxing from my dealer skypirate. As many of you will know, it is a real rivet monster and, whilst I like to retain the raised surface detail on these old classics where possible, this did need a vigorous sanding back. Even so, it is still festooned with rivets the size of hen's eggs. For nostalgic reasons (see below), I wanted to use the kit decals but they were so thick that getting them to settle needed a gallon of Micro Sol. In fact, I used so much that the upper wing decal began to disintegrate so I had to stop. :shock:

There was a thread on this site a while back about the nostalgic reasons why people buy certain kits. I remember, as a child, my gran buying this kit for me and my brother for the princely sum of 50p (which was a decent sum for my gran on her pension). She was then most put-out when we had assembled it and were flying it round the lounge room about 10 minutes later. Being moulded in dark blue, it didn't even need painting :-D I don't know what happened to it but I have always associated this kit with childhood days spent at my gran's and for years I have had a hankering to have another go at one of the old boxings. So when skypirate turned up at the model club with one going cheap, how could I refuse?

It's all oob except I put in a bulkhead behind the pilot and an IP. All brush painted as per usual. It's never going to win any prizes (I'm nowhere near the standard of some of you guys on here) but it's special to me.

Cheers
Springy
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Airfix 1/72 Vought F4U-1D Corsair

Post by iggie »

That's an excellent build and a very smart finish; love it!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Very perceptive of your missus to spot the similarity between the Airfix Corsair and a grater. Ask her what she thinks the FROG Shackleton would be useful for.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nice one, Springy, you have turned that old dog classic into a very passable Corsair. For tonight's challenge I shall attempt to reverse engineer an old Airfix Skyraider into a new corkscrew as my wife has noted some similarities. Maybe it's feminine intuition!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

It is a bit toy like isn't it.
Crashpilot
...happily fooling around with styrene

Post by Crashpilot »

Oh, I like it!
My very first kit I build was Revell´s 72-scale F4U Corsair, a kit from the 60ies, as well.
I must have been 10 years old, then?
I still like to build old kits, too - that was one reason for me to join uamf, cause there are so many soul mates here,
cutting and glueing old plastic :) .
Waiting for the day, when wars for territory will be something to be read about in history books only.

Playing Tetris taught me: If I clean up too much, my kits disappear.....8-(

Markus, alias Crashpilot, or Crash, or CP, as you wish
Springy67
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Springy67 »

Thanks guys
Eric Mc wrote:Very perceptive of your missus to spot the similarity between the Airfix Corsair and a grater. Ask her what she thinks the FROG Shackleton would be useful for.
She recommends using it to zest citrus fruit. Or grating ginger.

Cheers
Springy
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Springy67 wrote:Thanks guys
Eric Mc wrote:Very perceptive of your missus to spot the similarity between the Airfix Corsair and a grater. Ask her what she thinks the FROG Shackleton would be useful for.
She recommends using it to zest citrus fruit. Or grating ginger.

Cheers
Springy
She's a very intelligent lady. Next time I'm baking a lemon drizzle cake I might dive into the loft and extract the FROG Shack from the stash.
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Lovely job! Nothing wrong with liking older kits (I should know!) but calming down the rivets with a gentle sand has really paid dividends, it looks super mate!

Zee28
celt

Post by celt »

Well tidy pirate.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Well done, Simon!
Whether cheese-grater or corkscrew, these old classics have a way of calling to us.

Cheers,

David
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

I built an Airfix Albatros a few years ago for much the same reasons as you - pure nostalgia! Your rendition looks very good - much better brush painted that the old plain plastic though!

Return to “Aviation Modelling”