Airfix 1/72 Messerschmitt Bf 110 E-2 (Tropical)

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Zee28
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Airfix 1/72 Messerschmitt Bf 110 E-2 (Tropical)

Post by Zee28 »

Hi all,

I grabbed this a while back, I was drawn to the tropical colour scheme, something a bit different.

As usual, I got the canopy framing out of the way first - Darn these German greenhouses! :evil:

The pilot figures were nice with separate 'pose-able' arms but for some strange reason they had these enormous holes in their backs which would require sorting out with filler.

Interior went together quickly and painlessly, not much to say here really.......

Main airbrushing was fairly simple. Yellow bits first (Hu 154), then the blue underneath (Hu 89) and the brown uppers (Hu 118).
The astute amongst you will have spotted that, at this stage, I had forgotten the white band around the fuselage, Well I sort of hadn't. Years of building older classic Airfix kits had taught me that if there was a band around the fuselage then Airfix would always thoughtfully provide it as a wrap-around decal..... Not anymore it would seem :cry: so later I hastily masked up and sprayed the white band.

Anyway, after decaling and a bit of dirtying it was done. I hope you like it. I believe the kit was criticised for the rather heavy panel lines which arguably, is true, particularly around the fuselage. Being an enamel user I don't bother to prime anything but a heavy coat if primer may have reduced their effect somewhat. Oh well...

Thanks for looking,

Regards,

Zee28
MarkyM607

Re: Airfix 1/72 Messerschmitt Bf 110 E-2 (Tropical)

Post by MarkyM607 »

Very nice work. It's not a criticism but are the panel lines a bit deep on this kit or have you shaded them?. They look fairly noticeable, I saw them on someone else's build of this kit. Have it myself so just wanted to check. :grin:
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

MarkyM607 wrote:Very nice work. It's not a criticism but are the panel lines a bit deep on this kit or have you shaded them?. They look fairly noticeable, I saw them on someone else's build of this kit. Have it myself so just wanted to check. :grin:
Hi Marky, and thanks matey! But to answer your question.... Me? Pre-shade? Seriously? Nah, I'm not that committed or skilled! This is me mate! But to be honest, the panels lines are pretty big and deep and I believe the kit was criticised for the rather heavy panel lines particularly around the fuselage. Being an enamel user I don't bother to prime anything but a heavy coat if primer may have reduced their effect somewhat. My bad.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Zee28
Spaceowl

Post by Spaceowl »

I thought the panel lines were a bit deep on this one, not that it takes a whit off what is a very professional looking build.
Nice, mate. Classy.
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

That turned out very sharp, panel lines be darned.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
Clashcityrocker

Post by Clashcityrocker »

Nicely done. Looks good in the desert scheme. I enjoyed mine when I built it.

Nigel
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

That is very nice.
Springy67
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Springy67 »

I like that a lot. Particularly in that colour scheme. I've heard it goes together with no real issues.

A guy keeps bringing one of these to sell at the model club and, so far, I have manfully resisted buying it. Having now seen yours, I feel my willpower will desert me.

Great work
Springy
vacant

Post by vacant »

Lovely job. Mention of the 'P' word should be banned as we all know how deep and wide they are on this otherwise first rate kit.
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Good build . Like the scheme a lot.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

Smart build Zee. Looks good in the desert scheme.

Stu :)
Old fashioned paint brush user.
iggie

Post by iggie »

I have this in the stash, and seeing this build (and Ratch's recent one) I think it may come out to play sooner than later!

Excellent build Zee and the scheme is well suited to it!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Ratch

Post by Ratch »

Well done :razz:
Being from 2010, this was one of Hornby's early attempts at panel lines, and was quite a bit deeper than more recent new tools. I personally don't find them an eyesore - unless enhanced by pre/post shading :ha:
All models are equal. Some models are more equal than others.
Airfix Tribute Forum
celt

Post by celt »

Looks well tidy to me.
MarkyM607

Post by MarkyM607 »

vacant wrote:Lovely job. Mention of the 'P' word should be banned as we all know how deep and wide they are on this otherwise first rate kit.
Sorry, just noticed them on two builds and wanted to ask.
Zee28 wrote:
MarkyM607 wrote:Very nice work. It's not a criticism but are the panel lines a bit deep on this kit or have you shaded them?. They look fairly noticeable, I saw them on someone else's build of this kit. Have it myself so just wanted to check. :grin:
Hi Marky, and thanks matey! But to answer your question.... Me? Pre-shade? Seriously? Nah, I'm not that committed or skilled! This is me mate! But to be honest, the panels lines are pretty big and deep and I believe the kit was criticised for the rather heavy panel lines particularly around the fuselage. Being an enamel user I don't bother to prime anything but a heavy coat if primer may have reduced their effect somewhat. My bad.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Zee28
I wasn't sure you were adventurous enough for pre-shading, :ha: I think we're all committed (or should be!! :lol: :lol: ).
Hoping to return to modelling sometime this year!! :lol:
Owner of Marky's Model Emporium since 2013!.

Return to “Aviation Modelling”