Hasegawa 1/72 Spitfire

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Crashpilot
...happily fooling around with styrene

Re: Hasegawa 1/72 Spitfire

Post by Crashpilot »

One thing I´m curious about: does the kit show the "gull wing effect" on the bottom, where fuselage meets wings?
I´d like to know, cause I might "shoot" one of these oldies on ee-bee one day?
Waiting for the day, when wars for territory will be something to be read about in history books only.

Playing Tetris taught me: If I clean up too much, my kits disappear.....8-(

Markus, alias Crashpilot, or Crash, or CP, as you wish
Eric Mc
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Eric Mc »

It doesn't show the gull wing properly, that's its most serious inaccuracy. But, if that is not a game changer for you, I'd still go ahead and build it.
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

Sir T wrote:Very nice looking build Nigel - Well done.
Wot he sed. She looks good.
I do find the box art interesting, what were the chances do you think of a couple of BofB era mk.I spits going up against an FW190?
I wondered if anyone else would notice that! At first sight, I thought the artist had gone mad and painted a Japanese fighter -- it's the big red nose, you see, rather like the famous "meatball" -- but then I saw the crosses and realised what it must actually be supposed to be.

As for the match-up, it would never have happened as illustrated (as I'm sure everybody knows), but I suppose it could have occurred during one of the 190's trademark tip-and-run raids if it came across a training flight using old Mk.Is -- in which case, the Spits' only hope was to use their supposedly superior turning performance. The 190 was more powerful, better-armed, better in roll (though not in a turn, it was said), and I think could have out-climbed and out-dived the Mk.I, so an angles fight would be the only option. Not unlike a Zero against the late-war USN F6Fs and F4Us; the faster, more powerful aircraft controls the fight, and all the opponent can do is fly like hell to survive until the attacker breaks off for whatever reason. The trainees, and any instructors present, would have to keep their heads and turn for their lives -- literally.
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nicely done, Nigel, a great result from that Hase oldie 8-)
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Aviation Modelling”