Hasegawa 1/72 Republic F-105 Thunderchief

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Eric Mc
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Hasegawa 1/72 Republic F-105 Thunderchief

Post by Eric Mc »

For a change from my more recent space and airliner builds, I thought I'd return to a theme I haven't tackled for over 30 years i.e. The Vietnam War.
I've started watching the new PBS Ken Burns documentary and it's inspired me to tackle a subject related to that sad and sorry conflict.

One of the aircraft closely associated with the Vietnam War is the Republic F-105 Thunderchief. It was used extensively during the conflict as a fighter bomber and quite a few were lost. However, being from the Republic stable, they were tough birds and many made it home despite substantial damage

The kit is one I've had in the stash since the mid 80s I think so it's about time it was tackled. Although it is from Hasegawa, it is one of their earlier kits and dates from 1966. It therefore lacks a lot of the finesse we normally associate with more modern Hasegawa kits. It also features raised panel lines - although the rivet detail is recessed.

As you can see from the pictures below, there are not that many parts. You can also see that I did, at one point, make a start on painting the pilot figure, who comes integrally moulded with his seat. That certainly gives the kit's age away. I am minded to drop the pilot (apologies to any Joan Armatrading fans) and fabricate a seat out of plastic card.

It will be painted in the USAF South East Asia camouflage scheme similar to that on the rather nice box art - although I plan to use some old Modeldecal sheet which depicts an F-105 that was actually based in South East Asia during the conflict. The kit decals are for a post Vietnam War aircraft.

Stamford

Re: Hasegawa 1/72 Republic F-105 Thunderchief

Post by Stamford »

Cool choice. Don´t see these very often.
running at the edge of their world
JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Post by JamesPerrin »

Not a great kit, but worth throwing some nice markings over. This is one the those Hasegawa kits that turned up on Frog boxes in the 70s
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:2) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
Spaceowl

Post by Spaceowl »

It is a great kit! Well, by that I mean it's one I remember very fondly from when I was a kid and Hasegawa were the best on the market, certainly for the F-105 anyway. I'm keen to see how this one goes together - like you I've been watching Ken Burns' Vietnam and I've got an urge to build something SEA at the moment too.
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

It's of its time.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Thunderchief's forever!
I have built this old favourite, and I am presently tackling the Monogram 1/72 F-105F.
Watching with interest.

Cheers,

David
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

This'll be interesting Eric.

I think I've got the Airfix one in my stash which, if I recall correctly, an 'F' variant (2 seater???)

Zee28
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

I never built the Airfix one. Was it a rebox of someone else's?

During the week I ordered some accessories to enhance the kit. I now have an Aires resin cockpit and some Aires resin wheels. I also ordered a metal replacement pitot and nose probe.

Today I began work on the project. The first step was to start cutting the resin cockpit away from its moulding block. I also removed some mould ejection points on the cockpit interior and started grinding away at the cockpit sides in order to allow the resin insert to fit properly. So far so good - it'd rare for my mini-drill to get much use. Part of the rear cockpit bulkhead will also need to be removed as this area is not reflective of what the rear of the cockpit area really looks like. The Aires resin set replaces this and makes it more accurate.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

The Airfix kit was for the 105G Wild Weasel. Somehow I totally missed that kit, but I see that the nose is distinctly fuller than it should be - the opposite of what Airfix did to the old Canberra kit.

Cheers,

David
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

More surgery performed today. I cut away the kit's cockpit coaming which is moulded into each fuselage half. The resin replacement set has a much more detailed coaming with bomb sight etc so looks a lot better. Pictures to follow.
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Eric Mc wrote:I never built the Airfix one. Was it a rebox of someone else's?
I don't know Eric, but it looks OK in the box. As far as I know it was only available from 1983 to 1988 and back in '83 it was considered to be a 'New Tool' by Airfix, but whether it was a re-box of someone else's I don't know.

What's putting me off building it is it's size. Until I opened the box I didn't realise how long it was! I'll need to clear some display space....

Zee28
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Eric Mc wrote:I never built the Airfix one. Was it a rebox of someone else's?
Nope. It was Airfix's own kit. Started life as a F-105F, then released as an F-105G (just like the real thing! Airfix all the way!)

Cheers,

David
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Thanks for that info Skypirate. In CBK terms that makes it quite a 'Modern' kit! :-D

Zee28
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Luckily, the Hasegawa kit is definitely a CK (if not a true CBK, the FROG version notwithstanding) - dating from 1966.
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

This bloody thread made me need a Thud! Now got a Trumpeter version heading my way. I have enough kits already and I´m trying to stop - you sir are an enabler!
running at the edge of their world

Return to “Aviation Modelling”