Airfix new tool 1:72 Me 262

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
CementNotGlue
Active Participant

Re: Airfix new tool 1:72 Me 262

Post by CementNotGlue »

Very nice!
Sufficiently inspired to make a start on mine.
I quite understand folk using the recommended Humbrol paints, I just think the paint is not accurate: green too grey and brown too purple. What do you think?
I'm going to have fun with the pilot. Oxygen mask and goggles sculptured from light modelling paste me thinks!

What are the other "some issues"? Given the high quality of this kit it really deserves giving it our best effort.
Zee28
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Zee28 »

ShaunW wrote:Very nicely done indeed, Mylo and I believe this is the first finished build of this new kit that I've seen.
Ditto! Lovely job.

Zee28
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

Looks very good Mylo, first one I've seen built too. This is on my to-buy list, even though I have the very nice Academy kit in my stash. There are so many colour scheme and variant options for the 262. Does the kit breakdown look like a two-seater option might be possible from Airfix at some point?
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

Oh I want this one! I love the mottled effect you were able to get without an airbrush (which can be difficult due to the small size of a 72nd scale kit). I use my Tamiya pastels to get the same mottling effects but mine don't look nearly as good.

Great job on a nice kit!

pmmaker
The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad"
Alice: “I’m afraid so. . . you’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. . . All the BEST people are.”
uavdb
Active Participant

Post by uavdb »

Excellent work, Mylo. I have used this technique for mottling many times with great success. I haven't used Q-Tips (ear buds) but rather used old paint brushes which were cut down and had excess paint dabbed off with a paper towel prior to applying the mottling.
uavdb (Dave)
fredk
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by fredk »

Migrant wrote:...Does the kit breakdown look like a two-seater option might be possible from Airfix at some point?
The cockpit tub and fuselage are on frame of their own. On another frame are the parts for two 'drop' tanks, afair only the 2-seat night fighter used the drop tanks. The wings have flashed over holes for these and for possibly the 20cm rockets. There also two bomb racks for the nose and the lower nose piece has the flashed over mounting holes, so the single-seat fighter-bomber [Sturmvogel?] looks to be planned too.
Al speling misteaks aer all mi own werk..
Its not just how good your painting is, its how good the touch-ups are too.
Migrant
Happily Landed after Many Circuits and Bumps

Post by Migrant »

fredk wrote:
Migrant wrote:...Does the kit breakdown look like a two-seater option might be possible from Airfix at some point?
The cockpit tub and fuselage are on frame of their own. On another frame are the parts for two 'drop' tanks, afair only the 2-seat night fighter used the drop tanks. The wings have flashed over holes for these and for possibly the 20cm rockets. There also two bomb racks for the nose and the lower nose piece has the flashed over mounting holes, so the single-seat fighter-bomber [Sturmvogel?] looks to be planned too.
Thanks Fred, sounds likely that we'll see some other variants from Airfix.

Return to “Aviation Modelling”