Another frog

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
celt
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Another frog

Post by celt »

This is my latest attempt to build a model,all paints by hairy stick and canopy by sharpie.

DavidWomby

Re: Another frog

Post by DavidWomby »

Looks really good but, I hope you don't mind me saying, I think you could improve it slightly if you painted the canopy framing to match the camo.

David
celt

Post by celt »

dwomby wrote:Looks really good but, I hope you don't mind me saying, I think you could improve it slightly if you painted the canopy framing to match the camo.

David
Hi dwomby, I do not mind you saying it at all but since my wifes recent bad news,I dont get much time to build models so I decided not to bother with masking and painting the canopy as it takes too much of what little modelling time I have available to me.I know its not accurate but at least I can still finish a kit in what little time I have.
Regards
celt.
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Sorry to hear you have bad news in the family. Best wishes for that and at least you finish models.
I can't do that these days but have no good reason to offer.

Again, best wishes.

David
celt

Post by celt »

dwomby wrote:Sorry to hear you have bad news in the family. Best wishes for that and at least you finish models.
I can't do that these days but have no good reason to offer.

Again, best wishes.

David
Thanks David,having as little time to do modelling as I now have means a change in the way I model,gone are the new detailed kits and in are the basic,simple kits like Frog but it means I complete them more frequently than I used to. :grin:
Thanks again
Ken.
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

That's a nice finish on your Hellcat, Celt. I can't quite tell if you airbrushed it or brushed. I've never purchased a Frog kit, but do they all come with that blue stand? While the color is a tad off-putting, I do like that they apparently gave you the option of hanging it on the wall.

And, like dwomby, I do wish you and your family well and that things turn-around for you.
Stupot
Pottering around

Post by Stupot »

Neat build and paintwork. Nice Hellcat!

Stu :)
Old fashioned paint brush user.
celt

Post by celt »

PropWash wrote:That's a nice finish on your Hellcat, Celt. I can't quite tell if you airbrushed it or brushed. I've never purchased a Frog kit, but do they all come with that blue stand? While the color is a tad off-putting, I do like that they apparently gave you the option of hanging it on the wall.

And, like dwomby, I do wish you and your family well and that things turn-around for you.
Thanks PropWash,I brush paint all my models and most Frog kits come with stands but not all are blue.
Stupot wrote:Neat build and paintwork. Nice Hellcat!

Stu :)
Thanks Stupot.
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

That is a really neat little model. Those old Frog kits may be simple by today's standards, but they still make fine models - as yours shows.
CementNotGlue
Active Participant

Post by CementNotGlue »

Lovely!
Glad the decals held out. Did you treat them or give them any special attention?
celt

Post by celt »

Lone Modeller wrote:That is a really neat little model. Those old Frog kits may be simple by today's standards, but they still make fine models - as yours shows.
Hi Lone Modeller,thanks,much appreciated.
CementNotGlue wrote:Lovely!
Glad the decals held out. Did you treat them or give them any special attention?
Hi CementNotGlue,thanks and the decals were placed on a glossy surface and then glossed over before a final matt coat,just like always.
Stuart
Raider of the Lost Ark Royal

Post by Stuart »

Hi Celt,

I'm sorry to hear about your wife and I hope things improve soon.

The Hellcat looks great - just one thing in regards to the canopy though, have your ever tried painting the framework free hand with a small brush, and the just tidying them up by running a sharp cocktail stick around the frames?

Sod the masking tape, I hate the stuff and do 99.9% of my canopies that way.

Just a thought.

Cheers

Stuart
Stuart Templeton I may not be good but I'm slow...

My Blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Great to see this fine Hellcat!

I'm with Sir T and the cocktail sticks!

Cheers,

David
Crashpilot
...happily fooling around with styrene

Post by Crashpilot »

skypirate wrote:........

I'm with Sir T and the cocktail sticks!

Cheers,

David
I use that method often, too.
I got this kit in its Novo guise, like so many Novo´s, it has some surface damage to the plastic....:-(
But at least the plastic´s not warped....:-)
Waiting for the day, when wars for territory will be something to be read about in history books only.

Playing Tetris taught me: If I clean up too much, my kits disappear.....8-(

Markus, alias Crashpilot, or Crash, or CP, as you wish
celt

Post by celt »

Hi Sir T,skypirate and crashpilot,I tried your method on a scrap canopy and could not get it right,despite many attempts,anyway I have decided to do away with canopies altogether and do models with little or no clear parts.My first effort is already posted,I must say I enjoyed doing a model without the pressure of clear parts,not the prettiest of aircraft but still an aircraft and not a target oops sorry armour. :ha:

Return to “Aviation Modelling”