Bristol Beaufighter: Airfix 1/72

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
vacant
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Bristol Beaufighter: Airfix 1/72

Post by vacant »

This is another two kits from my recently acquired haul. They are both of the old Airfix Beaufighter. Airfix first released the Beaufighter in 1958. The model with D-Day stripes was made using the 1964 boxing of the original kit. The second in Coastal Command colours was made using the 1973 boxing, though it seems to have had a few minor modifications to the original tooling. There were a few bits missing from one of the kits, but nothing too difficult to scratch build.

I felt that I needed to give them a bit of a makeover. I built a flight deck with the usual stuff, i.e. seat, control stick, side panels etc. using plastic card. I added a few other odds and ends, but nothing much.

The main changes were to the engines and their cowlings. I discarded the kit parts and set about making some replacements. They seem to be undersize and have awful mouldings representing the engines. As I got into doing this, I was reminded of the three witches in Macbeth as they stand over the cauldron, throwing in bits of frog, newts, snakes and other assorted animals. Then I got carried away. The result is this poem.

The Beaufighter's Brew

‘Hubble, bubble, build that model,
Using bits from heaps of rubble,
Cylinders from broken bits,
Stirred together 'till it fits.

Rocker heads from bits of sprue,
Stuck in place with blobs of glue.
Make some gills with equal spacing,
All around the engine casing.

Fashion props from broken parts,
It’s one of modelling’s blackest arts.
Smear some filler over all,
Then sand and spray with aerosol.

Using paint and tape to mask,
Completes my Herculean task
All four engines, do they match?
Not exactly, they’re from scratch.

Now if you use this recipe,
You’ll need, like me, some therapy.
Easier I must admit,
To go and buy the new tool kit.

Eric Mc

Re: Bristol Beaufighter: Airfix 1/72

Post by Eric Mc »

They are lovely - especially considering the basic nature of the original kits.

I built one of these around 1968. It was the first model I ever attempted to paint (not very successfully, I have to admit).
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

Very nice builds - your efforts make these old boys look far less clumsy. I´m going to go with the last two lines of your excellelent prose which I have in the stash.
running at the edge of their world
iggie

Post by iggie »

A superb pair of restorations; excellent work as always including the literary contribution as well!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Those two have turned out very well indeed in your capable hands, Vacant and accompanied by a nice piece of modelling poetry as well!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

Superb restorations. I can remember the old kit from the 1960's because I made on then too..... I would be very hard pressed to recognise these as old tool - they are a tribute to real scratch building skill. I think that WS might have approved of the skit as well!
vacant

Post by vacant »

A minor point - these are not restorations as some have mentioned. One kit was complete in its box and unbuilt. The other was mostly complete in its box (missing the intakes over the engines and a few other odds), but was also unbuilt. I made the choice to replace the engines/cowlings, props etc. as those n the kit just seem to look wrong. They may still not be quite right, but it was fun making them. But many thanks anyway for the positive comments on what were two most enjoyable old time builds.
CementNotGlue
Active Participant

Post by CementNotGlue »

Very nice!
Where this scores over the modern Airfix is the heavy rivet detail that gives it oodles of characther.

Any tips for applying the invasion stripes? Not an easy task.
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

A very nice duo.
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
vacant

Post by vacant »

For the invasion stripes, I first paint the whole area in white. Then I measure the total width using a piece of mm graph paper. That lets be divide by 5 to work out the width of each stripe. Then I use the graph paper to mark off the outer boundaries of each stripe, followed by applying strips of Tamiya tape to mark off the areas to be painted in black.

It sounds fairly foolproof, but no matter how many times I paint D-Day stripes, I never manage to get the lines right, i.e. completely parallel and in equal thicknesses. I often end up having to make a few adjustments though as you can see in the photos, there are limits to what I am prepared to do. I don't know why I worry so much about this because the real D-Day stripes were usually applied quickly with anything that was to hand, so the end result should be fairly crude. The problem is that in 1/72, the dividing line between looking correct and just looking naff, is fairly fine.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Post by Chuck E »

The old classics. Still a bit of life in the old kits after all. Nice result. Great schemes. Love it.
So many models, so little time.
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

One of my favourite ever old Airfix kits, I love it. I've built one but dropped it and wrecked it when taking it out of the display cabinet to photograph it for this forum. I have since picked up another one now waiting in the stash. Not fussed for the new tool one, 130 parts??? Really? Pah!

Incidentally, my boxing has the invasion stripes as (massive!) wrap-around decals. They worked well last time.

These two are cracking jobs Vacant. Lovely work on two true CBKs.

Zee28

PS. Excellent poem!
vacant

Post by vacant »

I didn't have any wrap around decals for the stripes and even if I did, I doubt if I would have used them.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

I always paint my invasion stripes these days.
Purplethistle
Delusional Miniature Killer

Post by Purplethistle »

Once again you 'Screw your courage to the sticking place'
'Is this a cracker that I see before me?' ......of course! it's a Vacant build :-D
"Spits, SLUFS and Rock 'n' Roll"

Return to “Aviation Modelling”