Bristol Beaufighter: Airfix 1/72

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
celt
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Bristol Beaufighter: Airfix 1/72

Post by celt »

Well tidy pair of Beaus,as for the paint or decal stripes question,I dont do either,I ignore them and leave them off. :ha:
CementNotGlue
Active Participant

Post by CementNotGlue »

vacant wrote:I would only caution over household masking tape as it can be a bit more sticky than modelling tape such as Tamiya tape. Sticky tape can lift paint. Even Tamiya tape can lift paint. Another tip is to paint the edge of the tape with Klear. That helps seal any gaps so you don't get seepage, e.g. along panel lines.
The act of laying the tape on a pane of glass for trimming tends to leave the masking tape less fierce.
Thanks for the Pledge tip.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Gorgeous pair of classics, beautifully revived!
I still have one (seriously modified) in my display cabinet.

Cheers,

David
vacant

Post by vacant »

Skypirate, please feel free to post an image of your modified Beaufighter here (even if you have previously posted it elsewhere). It's well worth seeing what can be done with this ancient kit.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Thank you, Vacant!
This is my build from several years ago, long before my more recent FROG Beau. I saw the profile by Richard Caruana in a model magazine. Apparently the 252 Sqn aircraft was captured enroute to Malta in January 1942. I am sure I have posted pics somewhere on this forum..

The kit cowlings were replaced by solid resin mouldings by Ron's Resins (local to Australia; no longer available). The canopy is also an acetate replacement. The u/c doors came from a Matchbox kit. Some details were added in the cockpit. I also added a tailwheel well, which involves bulging the surrounding area with model putty. Finally, added landing lamps and nav lights, and represented the 4-gun configuration, common to long-range Beaus with extra wing fuel tankage replacing 2 guns.

I don't think I will try this again!

Cheers,

David
vacant

Post by vacant »

Great to see - the many subtle modifications really give it a lift.
Miss-Stang
Active Participant

Post by Miss-Stang »

That's a great pair of Beaufighters there and I just love the poetry :grin:
Regards,

Miss-Stang

Return to “Aviation Modelling”