SCRATCHBUILT DEWOITINE D510 in 1:48 scale

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Fozzy
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

SCRATCHBUILT DEWOITINE D510 in 1:48 scale

Post by Fozzy »

Hi Guys

There has been a request that I might do a WIP on one of my scratch built models....so you can see how I go about it. I am not sure if this is the right section to put this on...I do hope so!

I have been scratch building now for a good few years and occasionally build a kit in between one of my projects....like the 1:20 scale B17G I am attempting to do. I use very basic materials ...Balsa wood ,yogurt pot plastic that I sometimes use in replacement to plastic card , annealed Coca Cola cans for the aluminum ,electrical wire ,cardboard ,paper etc etc...all basic stuff that I like to work with....never ever do I use after market stuff like PE...as that's got nothing to do with scratch building and besides I think that you could make most of the stuff your self and wouldn't cost the extortionate prices they charge!....but hey...that's my choice! ;-)
So normally I scratch build larger scale aircraft (1:20 scale ish!)...but sometimes I have a go at the smaller scales....I find that the smaller the scale the harder it is to fabricate so you will see some problems on the way with this WIP.

The methods you see me do here are the way that I scratch build....a lot of other modellers probably do it another way ...but I guess it really doesn't matter....besides lets face it ...there are no instructions to follow is there?

Any way I hope you find this WIP interesting...I do know that on these model forums it's not everybody's cup of tea but I hope it will be of some interest with you!

So to start .....here is the real Dewoitine D510...........

A wonderful "Retro" bird from the 30s..

I just love the shape of this bird!...kind of heavy chunky nose and large wing span...with an almost after thought of an undercarriage!....all this drew my attention and made me want to have a crack at it!

So here goes then...................

After not being very successful in finding any decent scale plans on the "ole" internet I came across a set that at least had a few formers to work with...although none for the wings!.....well I guess I will have to sort something out when the time comes to making the wings!

Here's the plans I am going to use pinned to the board......

So first up was to construct the fuselage....because the plans are not that good I kind of made it up as I went along!....For this fuselage I used thin gauge hardwood for the formers,stringers and longeron. When that was set I filled in between the stringers with scrap balsa wood and when dry I sanded the balsa wood down to the hardwood stringers that then gave me the basic shape of the front end including the massive Radiator that just seems to be slung under the front nose!

Like so....

I then repeated the procedure for the tail......in this photo you can see the way I glue pieces of off cut balsa in between the stringers....looks a mess but I find it does the trick!

You can also see that there is a large gap half way up the fuselage?....well that is where the cockpit is and the reason there is this gap is so that I can reach inside with my pinkies to scratch some sort of cockpit!

So have now sanded down the balsa to the formers to get the tail shape and given the whole fuselage a couple of white glue washes and then a few washes of Johnsons Klear to seal the wood ready for the next stage......oh...and I also tidied up the cockpit area and glued some plastic sheets on the walls and floor.

This next photo shows a couple of balsa panels I have made that will fill the cockpit sides at a later stage...

...and here they are dry fitted....

A head safety crash thingy (for want of a better word!!)...was made from Balsa and dry fitted to the fuselage next!

Next post ...The wings! ;-)
FOZZY

Visit my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/martinfosterss ... uiltmodels

Ready for inspection.....1:24 Scale Cutaway Spifire Mk1...1:24 Scale Cutaway Ju 87B-2......1:30 scale scratch built Westland Lysander...P51D seviced in a Hangar
Fozzy

Re: SCRATCHBUILT DEWOITINE D510 in 1:48 scale

Post by Fozzy »

The Wings!....not very exciting photos but a little progress!

I had no real scale plans for this just a 2D drawing of the wings and stabilizers....so I first cut out the drawings and glued it to stiff cardboard...then I drew round the wing and stabilizer like a kid in school onto balsa wood;)......the thickness of the wing was achieved by cutting out the front plan view of the wing and drawing around it onto the leading edge of the wood....I hope I am explaining this ok!....

.....if not...here's a photo of the templates and the markings on the balsa wood!

Here is the port wing sanded to shape...

...and here they are all shaped up the best that I could do!

The other thing I have done is to drill out the front Radiator scoop ...tidy it up a bit and add the rad shutters....

This is what it looks like...

I have been trying to get some sort of cockpit together but it wasn't an easy task as I couldn't find a lot of info on the internet or books I have....so after looking at some of the photos ...I built the cockpit the best I could.....so warning this wont be 100% accurate :sad: ...but then again none of my models are!!

So after cleaning up the cockpit area I covered the floor and side walls with plastic card and then proceeded to build the Pilot's seat , rudder pedals and the stick...all put together with scraps of plastic and bits of wire.

This is what I came up with.....

The next task was to get the IP built ( not easy as its so small)....fix it in place and then a few other bits and bobs like the trim wheel and a few control boxes on the side walls. This was then all painted in perfect French style of Chamois (colour) paint...oh so pretentious!!

So this cockpit is kind of sparse as I didn't have much info to go on but I think it will do the job!.

As for photographing it for this post I do apologies as it was blasted difficult and it doesn't look that good!

....but here it is anyway!..The first 2 shots are with the starboard wall removed so you can kind of see into the cockpit!!

...and the last 4 photos are with both side walls in place...

Now that the cockpit is complete I can get back to preparing the fuselage for skinning.....this means I have got to finish the rear of the radiator tunnel before I can do this.

Once again there is absolutely no info or photos out there to assist with this task!....plenty of photos of the front intake but bugger all on the rear!....so its going to have to be "Artistic License"

So I had to use a bit of imagination to get this done!....I don't think it is far off what the real thing should look like but..hey ho !

...Looks like a dead fish!! :roll:

Now that that is done I can try and get on with the skinning of the fuselage which I have been dying to do as I have had enough at looking at a lump of wood!

So thanks for looking in guys...hope its of some interest to you..and I'll be back tomorrow with the next and last post before Xmas!

Cheers

Fozzy
FOZZY

Ready for inspection.....1:24 Scale Cutaway Spifire Mk1...1:24 Scale Cutaway Ju 87B-2......1:30 scale scratch built Westland Lysander...P51D seviced in a Hangar
iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by iggie »

Excellent work!

I agree with you about the quirky nature of the 510; I built one in 1/72 from Heller:
which can be built as the same scheme as your first photo, albeit 5 instead of 4
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
DavidWomby

Post by DavidWomby »

Fascinating to watch and so far beyond my abilities it's amazing.

David
59North

Post by 59North »

An excellent and well photographed tutorial. Thank you. Extremely inspiring!
This definitely reminds me of my past R/C constructing days.
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

Very interesting - looking forward to the dead fish coming to life!
running at the edge of their world
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Thanks for your interest guys! :)
FOZZY

splash
Senior Service Rotorhead

Post by splash »

Brilliant tutorial, I’m pulling up a chair and getting some popcorn to watch the next instalment.

I sometimes think that with all the aftermarket PE and resin parts available today, many model makers are missing out on a lot of fun.
My work bench is starting to look like Portsmouth Naval Dockyard.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

Fozzy wrote:Any way I hope you find this WIP interesting...I do know that on these model forums it's not everybody's cup of tea but I hope it will be of some interest with you!
I think you'll find that quite a few people on this particular forum love seeing this sort of thing. I certainly do.
After not being very successful in finding any decent scale plans on the "ole" internet I came across a set that at least had a few formers to work with...although none for the wings!.....well I guess I will have to sort something out when the time comes to making the wings!
Many people here have exensive libraries that they may well be willing to to share some scans from. If that fails, even unbuilt kits could be scanned to at least give you 2D projections of some of the parts. Next time you're stuck, ask the folks here. No guarantees of course, but you might be pleasantly surprised.
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

splash wrote:I sometimes think that with all the aftermarket PE and resin parts available today, many model makers are missing out on a lot of fun.
One of many ways in which we all seem to have it just a bit too easy these days. When everything is just a few clicks away, the sense of accomplishment from finding/making something is deminished.

That said, I'd be hopelessly lost if I had to scratchbuild a whole airplane, so all that excess convenience is often appreciated too.
celt

Post by celt »

What can I say,your work is so far from my abilities its not funny. :mrgreen: Its great to see a master craftsman at work and as splash said earlier I shall pour myself a drink and get the popcorn out ready for the next instalment.
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

I love watching the projects you scratch-builders come-up with. Watching this with great interest.
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Keep it up, and keep posting.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Excellent, it's good to see a build thread from you showing your approach to the dark art of scratch building! Wood is not my favourite medium, I just can't seem to able to work with it very well but you are ably showing how it can be used. Top work.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Hi guys

A big thanks for all your kind remarks :)

....Splash.....I agree...aftermarket stuff is almost trying to kill the passion for model making...its all too easy nowadays....but every model maker has different opinions I guess.

Rob-Van-Riel....Thanks for the heads up on gaining info!...I do actually take a look at other built model kits on the internet and forums if I get stuck....your right so many people are really helpful!

So on with the build then......

Well the fuselage is at last skinned!...a tad laborious but worth it in the end I think!

I'll walk you through the process which I chose to do....not everyone would do it this way but it works for me!

So what I needed for this task was a few scraps of plastic card ...some paper card...glue and my favorite riveting tool!...which I will show you ............

I use this to punch out the rivets on the plastic card....I basically got a piece of kit sprue...drilled a small hole in the end and super glued a sewing pin in the hole...and Bingo there's your riveting tool!.......with gentle pressure on the plastic it makes great rivets as I hope you will see in the coming photos.....and it cost #ugger all!

Using the paper card, I placed it over each panel of the fuselage ...a panel at a time ...and carefully measured the panel to make a template which I then drew with pencil onto the plastic card.This is not as easy at it seems because the card has to go round some awkward shapes....easier with paper card than plastic!.....the rivet lines for the fuselage were then parked on the reverse side of the plastic panel and then the little riveting tool did the rest!.

Here are some shots of the fuselage half covered....

You can also see that with a few scraps of plastic I added some of the detail on the cowlings...air intakes and the like!.....the next few shots are of the fuselage completely skinned.

A coat of Humbrol 64 was then applied as an undercoat to see if there were any blemishes..(awful errors on my behalf I mean of course!!)...and there was!......a bit of PVA glue sorted that out and then another undercoat was applied.

I then sealed that lot with a coat of Johnson Klear.

more detail to be added at a later stage but here is now the skinned fuselage....

So there we go then!

I am off to Blighty tomorrow for the Christmas and New Year period and will be back in about 3 weeks time to continue with this scratch build.....next up....the dreaded attaching of the wings and things!!!

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year and see you next year!!!

Cheers

Fozzy
FOZZY

Return to “Aviation Modelling”