SCRATCHBUILT DEWOITINE D510 in 1:48 scale

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Gregers
Forum founder

Re: SCRATCHBUILT DEWOITINE D510 in 1:48 scale

Post by Gregers »

That's great. Very informative and totally skillful work.

All the best.

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
Lone Modeller
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Lone Modeller »

As a fellow scratch builder I am very interested in your methods which are very different to my own. I agree with you that scratch building means making everything and not using kit parts, (although I do occasionally use the odd mg or engine on some builds). Your method of fuselage construction is interesting - personally I would have push moulded it but in this case it may have been too big to do so in which case I would have carved it from basswood: but as you write each of us has their own methods. I do not use metal sheet either but I can see the advantages of doing so in the larger scales: I have used odd bits in some builds for small parts.

This has been a most interesting read and I will certainly be studyingit again to glean ideas....... that is one of the arts of scratch building after all!

Looking forward to more in the new year - good luck with the attachment of the flying surfaces.
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

Fozzy, when you "skinned" the model, was the card-stock so pliant that you were able to easily wrap/contour the sections onto the fuselage? I've not used card-stock before so have no idea what its properties are like, but I got the impression it was fairly rigid. :???: You are doing a wonderful job of it, sir.
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

Loving the Balsa-Bashing! I do a lot of that too. Not for scale models (I haven't got the skills), but for flying models. This is great stuff!
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

PropWash wrote:I've not used card-stock before so have no idea what its properties are like, but I got the impression it was fairly rigid. :???:
I suspect a good soaking would make the card stock very pliable, and if somehow held in place, would retain much of it's form after drying again. This would really slow thing down though, and I get the impression Fozzy is working considerably faster than this would allow, so I guess he's using some other trick.
vacant

Post by vacant »

The pliability of the plastic card also depends on its thickness. At 30 thou. it is quite rigid. At 20 thou., it is still pretty rigid. By the time you get into the even thinner card, it can become as pliable as stiff paper. There are, of course, some problems associated with using very thin pliable card one being that liquid poly can melt through it. I'm sure that Fozzy will be using different thicknesses for different effects - perhaps he will mention the thicknesses he is using.
vacant

Post by vacant »

P.S. It would also be useful to know what type of glue Fozzy uses to attach the plastic card skin to the balsa frame. I usually use superglue, e.g. when skinning a balsa core for wing with plastic card, but it is most unforgiving if one lays a skin on wrongly - it's very hard to slide it about until it is in the right position. Poly glue obviously does not work and PVA may not be able to glue it down with enough strength.
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

Rob and Vacant: Thank you both for offering-up some insight into using card-stock. Do you think using a hot hair-dryer to soften the card would also be a viable way to form it into the shape you want (depending on the thickness of the card as you point out)? Really interesting and helpful information I've learned from members of this forum in the short time I've been here. :)

For Fozzy's build, I guess we will need to await his return from holiday to find out his technique. ;-)
rob_van_riel

Post by rob_van_riel »

PropWash wrote:Do you think using a hot hair-dryer to soften the card would also be a viable way to form it into the shape you want
On plastic, that would be a viable option, but you'd have to be very careful not to overheat it; almost impossible with the thinner grades. Card stock, unless I completely misunderstand the meaning of the word, is paper, and will either be unimpressed by heat, or burst into flame :shock:
vacant

Post by vacant »

I don't think that a hair drier would be an effective way to bend the plastic card into the shapes you want. An alternative can be to wrap it around a piece of shaped balsa wood (or anything else) then immerse it in hot water. All you have to do is to work out how to attach it so that it remains attached when immersed in the water. I sometimes mould engine cowlings or parts of wings using this method, but let Fozzy explain how he does it for the models he creates. He is clearly the man for such guidance.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

You make it look easy! This must be very satisfying!

Cheers,

David
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

rob_van_riel wrote:
PropWash wrote:Do you think using a hot hair-dryer to soften the card would also be a viable way to form it into the shape you want
On plastic, that would be a viable option, but you'd have to be very careful not to overheat it; almost impossible with the thinner grades. Card stock, unless I completely misunderstand the meaning of the word, is paper, and will either be unimpressed by heat, or burst into flame :shock:
You're quite right about the terminology. I guess I should say "plastic-card" to denote the difference. :oops:

My thanks to you and Vacant for your comments on this. Fozzy will need to share his secrets for how he managed to shape it so well. As ShawnW stated, the "dark art of scratch-building" is something of a mystery.
Fozzy
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Fozzy »

Afternoon guys...and I hope you all had a good Xmas and New Year! ;-)

I am back from my Xmas break and can now return to this build!

Before I continue with the next task I should clarify a few points that some of you have brought up on how I skinned the fuselage.....I am aiming this at Prop wash...Rob-Van-Riel and Vacant and any one else who is interested in the technique I use.

I should have explained it better in my last post but I will give it a go again.

It really is simple ( I always try to take the easy paths of scratch building! :) )

....there has been some confusion on the use of card stock/ plastic card etc that I mentioned in my last post....and so to clarify ...here is the method I use broken down...

1. After the fuselage has been built ( this one being out of Balsa wood) I seal the wood with water mixed with PVA glue/Wood glue.I give the fuselage at least 2 coats.

2. This next part is important!!... I now brush on at least 3 coats of Johnson Klear/or equivalent.This gives me a hardened surface to glue the panels on...also it helps the panels slide into place easier!

3. I then mark with pencil onto the fuselage where the first panel will go and using tracing paper mark out the panel. I only do a small panel at a time as its a lot easier!

4. The marked tracing paper is then transferred to a piece of card and cut out( I use old Xmas cards). I think this is where the card stock caused confusion!!!

5. You now have the panel shape on a piece of Xmas card that can be used on the fuselage to trim to the exact dimensions of the pencil marks you made in step 3 .....hope you understand that!!

6. The trimmed Xmas card panel can now be transferred (drawn round carefully) onto a piece of 0.13mm plastic card (or thinnest card you can get hold of)

7. The reverse side of the panel can now have the rivets marked out as described in my last post

8. Now....because the fuselage is sealed with PVA glue and Klear....you can glue the panels using liquid poly glue onto the fuselage with out any problems at all!

No need to use hair dryers ...blow torches...just perfectly cut to shape plastic panels!!

I would just like to add that this is the method I use and its really easy....just need a little time and patients....is all!

I do hope this has cleared up and helped any of you who want to have a go at skinning your own aircraft the simple way!

I will be back with my next post in a few days time....should at least have the tail fin attached!

Cheers

Fozzy
FOZZY

Visit my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/martinfosterss ... uiltmodels

Ready for inspection.....1:24 Scale Cutaway Spifire Mk1...1:24 Scale Cutaway Ju 87B-2......1:30 scale scratch built Westland Lysander...P51D seviced in a Hangar
Fozzy
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by Fozzy »

Hi there

So finally packed my suitcase away and managed to get into my office!:)

I am going to try and get this build finished asap as I need to get back to the B17G......but scratch building and rushing don't go together ...so I only have a wee progress update!:(

Head rest and exhausts!...not the wing fix as previously mentioned!;)

Here is the head rest I previously made from Balsa attached to the fuselage......

At a later stage I will make a head cushion for the pilot bonse!

So down to the exhausts.....I checked in my box of electrical wire and chose the appropriate gauge and then stripped off the sleeve...

Then I drilled out the holes where the exhaust ends will protrude .........

...and with a little touch of super glue small cut lengths were glued into the holes...........

Once they are painted they should look the part!

I'm afraid that is as much as I have managed to do since returning to Bulgaria!.......not very exciting stuff but I'm slowly getting there!

Tail fin is up next....so until then....

Thanks for looking in

Fozzy
FOZZY

Visit my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/martinfosterss ... uiltmodels

Ready for inspection.....1:24 Scale Cutaway Spifire Mk1...1:24 Scale Cutaway Ju 87B-2......1:30 scale scratch built Westland Lysander...P51D seviced in a Hangar
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Great to see your progress!

Cheers,

David

Return to “Aviation Modelling”