SCRATCHBUILT DEWOITINE D510 in 1:48 scale

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Fozzy
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Re: SCRATCHBUILT DEWOITINE D510 in 1:48 scale

Post by Fozzy »

DazDaMan wrote:WOW!

I wish I had followed this from the beginning - it's fantastic!

Loving the work - far outside my skillset, I reckon, but I have been tempted to scratch-build a Proctuka or a Pilatus P-2 for the movie collection....
Why wait?....if you are tempted you should give it a go!...you will find it is most satisfying that you have built the aircraft your self!
FOZZY

Visit my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/martinfosterss ... uiltmodels

Ready for inspection.....1:24 Scale Cutaway Spifire Mk1...1:24 Scale Cutaway Ju 87B-2......1:30 scale scratch built Westland Lysander...P51D seviced in a Hangar
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Hi everyone

I can really see the end of this build racing up towards me now!...I managed to get the undercart done without too many problems ....the next big thing for me really is trying to decide which colour scheme to do! :sad:

I kind of like the aluminum finish...but is it too boring? :roll: ....there are quite a few schemes to choose from!...what ever I choose I am kind of governed by how easy it will be to replicate the markings....because they will all have to be copied by hand!.....decisions decisions!!!

Any way ...back to the update on the undercarriage.

Most of this build I have used balsa wood as I find it easy to replicate parts...and looking at the wheel spats I had to make then it just had to be balsa!.....so this first photo shows a small balsa block and a template of the wheel spat....

Once the spats were sanded into shape I turned my attention to the wheels. I only made half of the wheel and tyre as the other half wouldn't be seen as it would be covered by the spat. There are many different ideas on how to make wheels ...but I always use my tried and tested method of wire insulation for the tyre and plastic sheet for the wheel.
First I cut out the circumference of the wheel from a piece of plastic and then wrap the wire insulation around the wheel....to do that you first have to take out the wire from the insulation and then cut the insulation open so that it will wrap over the wheel disc....super glue does the trick.......here is a photo

I hope the photo shows the method better than my explanation!! ;-)

The undercarriage main legs were made from a cut length of hard wood.....obviously stronger than balsa as they will have to be load bearing .....here are the spats/wheels and legs completed...

Locating holes were drilled out to house the undercarriage legs and the two wheel struts either side....and with cut lengths of hard wood for the struts it was all put together using super glue.

All the wood was then sealed and over coated with primer.

So these last 4 photos show that now at long last my Dewoitine is now a blank canvas and ready for the colour scheme....what ever that may be!!

I think what I will probably do is spray the whole thing with Aluminum to get an idea on what it might look like ....if I don't like it I can always over spray another base colour

So I'll be back with some sort of painted Dewoitine rather than looking at all this grey undercoat!!

Until then...cheers for looking in

Fozzy
FOZZY

Ready for inspection.....1:24 Scale Cutaway Spifire Mk1...1:24 Scale Cutaway Ju 87B-2......1:30 scale scratch built Westland Lysander...P51D seviced in a Hangar
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Brilliant, the undercarriage assembly looks amazing and that is a great idea of using the electrical insulation to simulate the tyres - certainly scratch building requires the modeller to engage their brain and imagination!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
DazDaMan
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by DazDaMan »

That does look rather brilliant!
Daren

Half-assed Spitfire builder!
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Hi guys

All done! :-D

So after 2 months I managed to finish this scratch built Dewoitine D.510 this morning!

Since my last post I managed to add some detail ..like the windshield ( hardest part of the model to replicate I think!)...antenna's as well as the paint and markings job.

I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed my self with this build and it made a good change to the BEAST that shall be named as my B17G!!. I decided in the end to do a metallic finish on this bird and searched photos of all the different Dewoitine's markings that I could possibly copy!...There are many different versions of this aircraft....some with antenna's...some without gun sights...this version that version and so it went on! :frown: ....but in the end I went with a version that wasn't too hard to hand paint the markings!....well I say not hard .....but it was..... due to the fact that this is a 1:48 scale model....good job I didn't attempt a smaller scale!!

I only managed to find one photo of this version which was slightly out of focus and only a side profile and so this will be my excuse for the dodgy markings! ;-)

Accurate?.... well not really! ...but not far off I would say....but it's the best that I could do with this model!

Here are a few photos of the finished article which depicts a D.510 ....serial no 166 from Escadrille 3C2 of Aeronavale

My thanks to all who have shown an interest in this scratch build and I will be posting more photos as a Ready for inspection if you want to see more!:)

Well its now either back to continuing with the B17G or maybe another scratch build or I might have a go at super detailing a kit.....choices choices!!

Cheers again for looking in...you may now stand down! ;-)

Fozzy
FOZZY

DazDaMan

Post by DazDaMan »

OUT

STANDING

Take a bow, sir!
Daren

Half-assed Spitfire builder!
general rocket

Post by general rocket »

Well done from those of us for whom a scratch is a way to get rid of an itch.
I wish, that I knew what was doing!
iggie

Post by iggie »

Brilliant job! Entertaining throughout and a finish that is the equal of the best kit and AM that you might ever wish for.
Awesome!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

What a fantastic result, Fozzy, that is outstanding. This was a very entertaining and informative thread and as a mere assembler of kits, as opposed to being a proper modeller like yourself, I doff my cap to you!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
vacant

Post by vacant »

First class result - all thj way.
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

This is lovely work, Fozzy, congrats! I have the 72 scale Heller kit around here somewhere and I hope it looks even half as good as your scratchbuilt masterpiece.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

Geez, Fozzy. I really enjoyed watching your build come together as it did. Thanks for sharing it from start to finish. Wonderful.
Fozzy

Post by Fozzy »

Thank you very much for all your nice comments guys....I really appreciate it :)
FOZZY

PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

Truly an amazing piece of modelling.
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

Though not commenti I have been following this with great interest. A dtunning piece of real modelling. Very well done and thank you for the tutorial.

All the best

Greg
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein

Return to “Aviation Modelling”