Congo 1960-1964 Project

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Chuck E
Established 1949

Re: Congo 1960-1964 Project

Post by Chuck E »

That's come together very nicely, Rob. Something a little out of the ordinary.
So many models, so little time.
Spaceowl
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Spaceowl »

Old_Tonto wrote:That is a very cool looking collection Rob. I would pick the camo SAAB as my favourite too if I had to. I bet you are sick of building Sabres though. Which would you say is the best Sabre kit?
Sick to death of them, mate! :grin:

Seriously though, they each bring something different to the party. The Academy kit is as sharp as you would expect one of their recent products to be, but is a little too chubby through the fuselage. The Airfix kit is very middle-of-the-table, a good benchmark for the F-86F although with a better decal sheet than the other two IMO. The Hobbyboss one is simple, granted, but builds into a convincing replica that like the Airfix one, captures the Sabre's raptor lines. All that aside, I enjoyed and am happiest with the finish of the Academy kit. There's very little between them; they're all good, modern kits.

I doubt I'll be doing another Sabre for a while, though. :)
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
novokits
Active Participant

Post by novokits »

Interesting selection and excellent solutions.
Miss-Stang
Active Participant

Post by Miss-Stang »

That's a really interesting collection that you've got there. It'll be nice if you do decide to go back and add some helicopters and other transport.

Keep up the good work. :)
Regards,

Miss-Stang
philp

Post by philp »

I have wanted to do the Tunnan in that camo for a while but found out the current kits were wrong. I am off to see you build to find out more about those resin wings.
Spaceowl

Post by Spaceowl »

philp wrote:I have wanted to do the Tunnan in that camo for a while but found out the current kits were wrong. I am off to see you build to find out more about those resin wings.
Actually, according to my sources, the camo'ed J-29s were the model made by Heller etc. with the jagged leading edge wings. I wouldn't want to dissuade you from the resin wings, though, which you can find here: https://www.maestromodels.com/resin-set ... wings.html. They're made by a Swedish outfit called Maestro models and they do some excellent stuff, relatively cheap and with quick delivery.
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939

Return to “Aviation Modelling”