ICM 1/72: Avia B-71 bomber - Bulgarian Air Force

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
PropWash
Active Participant

ICM 1/72: Avia B-71 bomber - Bulgarian Air Force

Post by PropWash »

My first build for 2018. :-D

Aircraft History

The Czech Avia B-71 is a license-built version of the Soviet Tupolev SB bomber. The SB was designed in the early 1930's and saw full production, in the Soviet Union, in 1936. Czechoslovakia produced the B-71 from 1937-38. Following the Nazi occupation of Czechoslovakia, Avia B-71 bombers were pressed into service with the Luftwaffe and allies of Nazi Germany. The Bulgarian Air Force received several for its use in WWII.

The twin engine B-71 bomber had a max speed of 280 mph, and a max ceiling of 30,500 feet. It was armed with three 7.62 ShKAS machine guns (nose turret, dorsal and ventral gun positions) and could carry a maximum bomb load of approx. 1300 pounds. It carried a crew of three (pilot, nose gunner, and rear gunner (who operated both dorsal and ventral guns).

The Kit

This is ICM Avia B-71 kit # 72163 and is in 1/72 scale. You get several sprues of parts (many of which you will not use), instructions, and a sheet of decals for three different aircraft (two German Luftwaffe and one Bulgarian Air Force). The instructions a okay and do offer nice profiles of each aircraft for painting. However, some of the assembly instructions are not very clear as to part placement so be aware you may need to do some dry-fitting first. The decals were nothing special and are of dubious quality. Even though the parts were wrapped in plastic, I had several key components which were broken (landing gear, for example). The parts for the fuselage and wings had nice and very subtle raised details / panel lines. The plastic seemed to be of good quality. All the other parts were brittle and great care needs to be used to cut them from their sprues! No wonder so many parts were broken. The clear parts were not especially clear, but were still serviceable.

The Build

As I began building the model I found, to my despair, that this would be one of those kits where assemblies would be needlessly over-engineered. Whereas most model aircraft might use two halves for a fuselage, this kit used six. :roll: The engines were, likewise, a jumble of parts that need not have been designed for assembly in such a manner.

Because you will need to use filler and, consequently, have to sand / smooth the filler, you risk destroying a lot of the nice exterior details I mentioned earlier. :frown:

Oh well. On to fuselage assembly and priming.

No crew members are included in this kit. Interior details are spare (no control panel or cockpit details, nothing in the bomb-bay, etc) as well. Because of the broken parts I mentioned earlier, I opted for a wheels-up display. Of course I need a crew so I raided my parts box. There are lots of spare bombs (included in the kit, but not meant to be used with this aircraft) in the kit so I decided to have the bomb-doors open and build racks for the extra bombs I had. Online research showed the B-71 dropped bombs vertically from the bomb-bay (think German He-111) so it wasn't to hard to build racks for them inside.

I also decided upon making a Bulgarian Air Force bomber as I like different subject and did not have one from that Axis power in my collection. To me there is something cartoonish about the big X as a national insignia. The decals worked okay, but the release from the carrier paper almost instantly upon getting wet. They are delicate and very thin too.

Conclusions

Overall a decent kit marred by over-engineering, brittle parts, and lack of internal details. However, you do get a bunch of extra parts for your spares box. :-D I hope you enjoy the results of my build. Please let me know of any improvements I can make.

gnomemeansgnome
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: ICM 1/72: Avia B-71 bomber - Bulgarian Air Force

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Looks good.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
FAAMAN
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by FAAMAN »

Nice ;-)
Been modelling for years, still learning . . . .
Model kits are meant to be assembled . . . . . . . . . . eventually.
VickersVandal

Post by VickersVandal »

As I began building the model I found, to my despair, that this would be one of those kits where assemblies would be needlessly over-engineered. Whereas most model aircraft might use two halves for a fuselage, this kit used six. :roll: The engines were, likewise, a jumble of parts that need not have been designed for assembly in such a manner.
Yep, I hated building this kit for that reason. I was glad to see the back of it.

Yours is looking top notch! :grin:
Must.....build....ALL the Sopwith Camels!...

My Biggles Model display website: https://tinyurl.com/y74ydzae
iggie

Post by iggie »

Interesting subject and scheme, and very nicely built.
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
bobblelink
Active Participant

Post by bobblelink »

That is certainly something different- very nice work.
currently on the go: Revell Blenheim I, Italeri Me210, Revell HMS victory, Revell 1/144 p-47
completions in 2012:8, completions in 2013: 13, Completions in 2014:10, Completions in 2015: 9, Completions in 2016: 8, Completions in 2017: 9, Completions in 2018: 12, completions in 2019:7, completions in 2020: 17
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

Nothing wrong with that model: an interesting colour scheme and markings. Considering the problems that you have mentioned you have made a good model. Perhaps the old Frog Tupolev might stand up well against this kit.
PTB11

Post by PTB11 »

A real eyecatcher. Very nicely done.
Regards, Paddy.

On The Bench
Fujimi 1/72 A-7E Corsair II
celt

Post by celt »

I see what you meen by over engineered,but you done a great job.Well tidy mun.
Regards
Ken.
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

Thank you all for your kind comments about the build. I was almost glad to see that someone else shared my frustration with the complexity / over engineering of fairly simple assemblies (thanks Vickers Vandal).
Spaceowl

Post by Spaceowl »

Ukrainian kits of that era were notorious for being over-complicated. Well done you for turning out such a nice finish.
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
gbrwn56
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by gbrwn56 »

Great looking build, thanks for sharing.
George B.
pmmaker
Active Participant

Post by pmmaker »

Great job with a fairly difficult kit. I've built ICM kits and agree with your assessment - overly engineered, fragile parts, and somewhat hard-to-use decals.

Great to see you are still building the weird and unusual stuff Brett. You made a striking model. I love your added touches. Well done sir.

pmmaker
The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad"
Alice: “I’m afraid so. . . you’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. . . All the BEST people are.”
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

Thanks, Allan. I appreciate it. :grin:
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

That is a great result and a type I have not seen before. Very well done.
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)

Return to “Aviation Modelling”