Otaki 1/48 P-40E Warhawk modified to P-40N

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
skypirate
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Otaki 1/48 P-40E Warhawk modified to P-40N

Post by skypirate »

One of my older models that has had the benefit of a recent photo shoot. I can not find a previous posting, though I do recall feedback when I was trying to mix a realistic coral shade.
A Medallion Models resin set from the USA (designed for this kit) was in the box of parts, so the challenge was on! The resin bits are obvious in the next photo, plus I used an acetate canopy set.

The finished product, representing an aircraft of the 45th FS, 15th FG, Ellice Islands, December 1943:

Another resin set provided the cockpit details, and I can't remember which set that was.

One major flaw in the otherwise-nice Otaki kit (a product of the 70s!) is that the wing leading edges are not at right angles to the fuselage.

The pale colour made it overly-susceptible to unintentional grubbiness, sort of like built-in weathering!

I went to town on the under-fuselage!

I would have appreciated some detail in the wheel bays, rather than the kit engine which I did not use.

I guess it would be interesting to see the new Airfix 1/48 P-40B alongside this late-model, but I am more likely to do that in 1/72.
Thanks for looking,

David
PropWash
Active Participant

Re: Otaki 1/48 P-40E Warhawk modified to P-40N

Post by PropWash »

Beautiful build, Skypirate. So that color is called "coral?" Hobby Master makes a die cast P-39 of a Makin Island aircraft in a shade that is similar. I like the shade of yours much better. And you did some wonderful weathering on it as well.
skypirate

Post by skypirate »

Thanks, Propwash.
I don't think the colour is actually called 'coral', though that is the surrounding environment it was supposed to emulate. I reckon it would weather so severely that any close approximation can not be faulted!

Cheers,

David
iggie

Post by iggie »

That looks superb and the colour and weathering look spot on to me!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
jssel
Still crazy after all these years

Post by jssel »

Like it a lot. I think the US Tan color in those days got real freaky looking due to dun and weather. Personally I think you nailed it.
Besting 60 years of mediocre building of average kits in the stand off scale
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Masterful - that is a top class build, David.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300

Return to “Aviation Modelling”