Italeri HE111z

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Nikonchris
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Italeri HE111z

Post by Nikonchris »

I have a confession to make..I have never built a He111 in any scale, so to correct that I will build two at once with an extra chunk of wing for good measure.
The kit has some rather large panel lines etc, but a lady of her age will no doubt show signs of maturing, like a fine wine.
The build will be OOB apart some canopy masks, Eduard CXO89 unless you know better.
Their is a basic interior which will stay that way. I have enough decals with the kit and a couple of 1/48 swastikas that will cover the rudders, but I would like some stencils. Again if anyone knows of any that fit the bill that would be great. The pictures show the Eduard BF110 in 1/48 for a size comparison.

The pixs are a bit shadowy but at least it shows we get sunshine in Aberdeenshire

All comments welcome.

Thanks,
Chris

iggie
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Re: Italeri HE111z

Post by iggie »

That's going to take some shelf space! Looks a good kit for it's age and will be interesting to watch unfold :grin:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

This kit has been around since the 70's I think but is none the less impressive for that. A 1/48th Bf110 is not altogether small and gives a very good indication of the size of this thing. If my memory serves me right Italeri also produced a 1/72nd Messerschmitt 321 "Gigant" assault/transport glider, which the HE-111Z was designed to tow. Now that would make for an impressive display if you've got the shelf space!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

I had the Me 323 Gigant: the powered version but it was just too big so I sold it a couple of years ago. Even longer ago I started to convert one of these from two Airfix He 111 H-20 kits but never got past the central wing section which I was making from balsa. In view of the size of this thing i wonder why I started and am pleased that I did not finish it because I would have had nowhere to display it! Best of luck with your build - a rare bird indeed.
FAAMAN

Post by FAAMAN »

I've one of these I started sometime in the early '80's after an inspirational article in a "Scale Models" mag encouraged my purchase of the kit and a rapid build start. It still needs finishing . . . .

I'll watch this with interest ;-)
Been modelling for years, still learning . . . .
Model kits are meant to be assembled . . . . . . . . . . eventually.
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

This is looking very interesting. I've always liked the He 111Z/Me 321 combination, though never really wanted to build it because of the sheer size of the resulting models! And I had to smile at the use of a Bf 110, albeit in 1/48th, to give a feeling of size to the photos because the '111Z was designed to replace the original, rather unwieldy method of towing the Me 321 -- three Bf 110s in close formation! :mrgreen:
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
FAAMAN

Post by FAAMAN »

The three aircraft '110 tow was called "Troika Schlepp", it was quite dangerous with the 110s right on the edge of stall most of the way through take off, the fantastic old BBC series "The Secret War" furnished that fact on Me 321 operations.
Been modelling for years, still learning . . . .
Model kits are meant to be assembled . . . . . . . . . . eventually.
Muttzley

Post by Muttzley »

Doesnt anybody produce the He111 Zwilling and the Me321 Gigant in 144th?
Nikonchris

Post by Nikonchris »

Thanks for the comments gentlemen. With a couple of days of slow progess continues on the beast.

Well, it's always been a game of two halves, and apart from the basic glazing and two mg's that's only 8 body parts for that size.

Thanks for looking and all comments welcome.

Chris
dollar19

Post by dollar19 »

What an ungainly beast! I remember Testors releasing this kit way back in the late 70’s. Scared to buy it.
Gregers
Forum founder

Post by Gregers »

This is making me want to build mine. And me ME321 to go with it.
Superb work, am following this one fer certain.

All the best.

Greg.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

What a beast! The lack of interior detail gives away the kit's age I suppose but what the heck, it's going to look impressive when it's done I'm sure!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
PropWash
Active Participant

Post by PropWash »

I've wanted to build on of these, but the lack of room caused me to rethink that idea. I'll watch your build with great interest. :grin:
uavdb
Active Participant

Post by uavdb »

I have this kit in my stash....don't know where I would put it if I built it! Looks good so far...keep going.
uavdb (Dave)
Nikonchris

Post by Nikonchris »

Evening, well back and work and little time to model. Have made a bit of an effort on the cockpit seats. Made belts out of foil and used a cocktail stick to color the bulk head. Plus rear fins and engine nacelles are on the main body but nothing worth taking a pic of.
Couple of pixs of the cockpit and fuselage roof guns added.

All comments welcome.

Chris

Return to “Aviation Modelling”