Spitfire IX, 101 Sqn IAF

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Spaceowl
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Spitfire IX, 101 Sqn IAF

Post by Spaceowl »

Supermarine Spitfire LF.IX(E), 101 Talaset, Israeli Air Force

Welcome to the first build of a new project, 101 'First Fighter' Squadron of the IAF. Like the Normandie-Niemen project, I intend to cover all of the types this famous squadron used between 1948 and now. This is just a taster, with a kit I slapped together at the Blitzbau House this weekend, but I will be weighing in with more builds when the current project is finished in March/April.

The Spitfire IX was the joint first aircraft used by 101, and the examples the Israelis had an interesting history. They originally belonged to the Free Czech wing attached to the RAF and at the war's end were gifted to Czechoslovakia by a grateful British government. In 1948, after the Communist February coup, they became surplus to requirements and were sold clandestinely to the fledgling Israeli Air Force. After a frankly heroic effort by way of Yugoslavia they were flown to the new state where they went into action almost immediately, scoring victories against the RAF and Egyptian Air Forces, both of whom also used the Spitfire IX, hence the white and blue bands on the underside of the wings.

The kit was the veteran mk.IX(E) produced by KP in the early 80s, which I am told is a very accurate example (the only game in town for an 'E' wing IX, in fact - at least in plastic) and was a very easy build. While a little behind the times in terms of tech, it still went together very well, needing minimal filler mainly along the wing roots. I varied the shading of the upper surface camo to give the honestly rather scruffy appearance of the Israeli Spits. The shattering of the decals forced me to do a quick masking job on the tail and underwing recognition stripes and to rifle the decal spares box for some substitutes, which mainly came from a Hasegawa Kfir sheet (!).

I hope you like the new project - there's a lot more to come yet.
Overhead a rainbow appears...in black and white.

Current Projects:
Aircraft of VMA-542, USMC
Peru-Ecuador War 1995
THK 1939-2023
Polish Air Force 1939
Lone Modeller

Re: Spitfire IX, 101 Sqn IAF

Post by Lone Modeller »

How interesting to see a familiar type in much less familiar markings. Good model too.
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Very nice model and subject history. That conflict sure saw a lot of sketchy purchases on both sides.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
FAAMAN
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by FAAMAN »

Nicely done ;-) 8-)
Been modelling for years, still learning . . . .
Model kits are meant to be assembled . . . . . . . . . . eventually.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Nicely done blitzed Spit, Spaceowl (the Blitzbau House was great fun by the way) and an interesting bit of history.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
iggie

Post by iggie »

An interesting result from an entertaining Blitz 8-)
Looking forward to seeing the rest of your new project unfold. I am slowly building up a stash of types flown by 12 Squadron RAF for a similar thing; quite when I'll start it is another thing :roll:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Crashpilot
...happily fooling around with styrene

Post by Crashpilot »

I built KP´s Spit, too. It´s one of those kits, that look a bit disappointing in the box, but once build up, it looks nice!
Waiting for the day, when wars for territory will be something to be read about in history books only.

Playing Tetris taught me: If I clean up too much, my kits disappear.....8-(

Markus, alias Crashpilot, or Crash, or CP, as you wish

Return to “Aviation Modelling”