Airfix Vickers Wellington III

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Eric Mc
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Airfix Vickers Wellington III

Post by Eric Mc »

Being a glutton for punishment, I have retrieved this old antique from the loft. I apparently started this at some point in the long distant past - I reckon in the early 80s. I obviously then lost heart and it languished in various lofts and garages for almost four decades. The imminent release of Airfix's new tool Wellington prompted me to try and get it finished. The box shows the year 1975 but I know the moulds actually date back to 1959 - so very early in "the story of Airfix".

The parts are few and ill fitting and my Humbrol filler is going to get depleted quite rapidly I can see.

The original propellers have also gone walkies but I have some Aeroclub alternatives.

The original decals were still in the box but they are well beyond their "best by" date. I have some Xtradecal alternatives.

The best thing about the kit is the fantastic artwork by Roy Cross - which is my favourite I reckon.

JamesPerrin
Looks like his avatar

Re: Airfix Vickers Wellington III

Post by JamesPerrin »

Definitely get her built. I remember attempting to update mine in my teens, I crash moulded a new bomb-bay, and cut all the doors out, as well as all the glazing. Never got completed but I learnt some new skills.
Classic British Kits SIG Leader Better to fettle than to fill
(2024 A:B 5:1) (2023 13:8:7) (2022 21:11) (2021 15:8) (2020 8:4:4)
iggie

Post by iggie »

You have to build this! I suspect this kit has a lot of memories for a huge number of modellers; I know it does for me!
With the rose-tinted glasses of youth (and a fading memory as I get older), I don't remember any real issues with the Airfix Wimpy, but I'm sure they are there. The artwork is great but the one for Lancaster G-George is the best for me 8-)
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

The engines don't sit terribly well on the wings. A fair amount of putty has been used in that area. I'll post some more recent pictures soon. The engines are moulded integrally with the cowlings (as was oiten the norm back then) and don't show much detail.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

This is one that I never built in my youth despite that evocative "buy me!" art work.
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Stamford

Post by Stamford »

Watching with interest - I´m waiting for the new one though!
running at the edge of their world
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

I too remember this one - from a very long time ago. Certainly a classic and one that should be completed - even with lots of filler!
FAAMAN
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by FAAMAN »

Another build I'll watch carefully, only ever built one of these, mine's still in bits after being severely damaged in the 1980's.
Mine went together fine with no issues, looked great with Lancs and Halibags hanging from the ceiling.
Been modelling for years, still learning . . . .
Model kits are meant to be assembled . . . . . . . . . . eventually.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Maybe I'm just a bit ham-fisted. With a date of 1975, my moulding is 16 years after the original issue, which should mean it's relatively "fresh". There is certainly very little flash.

I wonder what was the last year Airfix released their original Wellington (I know in more recent years they had been re-issuing the Italeri Wellington X).
Springy67

Post by Springy67 »

That was always one of my favourite artworks. I'm hoping Adam Tooby does a reinterpretation of this for the new Wellington like he did for the B17 (also one of my favourites).

Scalemates say the original was last released by Airfix in 1995.

My abiding memory of building it many years ago was that the beam guns were just the two barrels, inserted into the transparencies from the outside. I remember being somewhat annoyed by that.

Cheers
Springy
FAAMAN

Post by FAAMAN »

The answer to your question Eric is 1959 to 1996.
All your Airfix questions should be directed to the ATF, here's the link for the Wellington III's details; https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixt ... f=41&t=245;
As it says, the moulds had worn out.
Now we wait for the Mk.I from coming from Airfix later this year 8-) ;-)
Been modelling for years, still learning . . . .
Model kits are meant to be assembled . . . . . . . . . . eventually.
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Thanks for the information. I haven't joined ATF simply because I am involved in enough forums on the internet. And the folks on here (as demonstrated) are friendly and knowledgeable.
Zee28

Post by Zee28 »

This is another CBK that passed me by, I have never built one. Consequently I am really looking forwad to following this Eric, great stuff!

Zee28
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Finally able to post up some progress pictures of the Wellington build. My new computer won't accept pictures from my camera (which is rather old). So, I've just bought a card reader which allows the pictures to be saved onto the computer without needing to actually plug the camera into the copmputer. It seems to work fine.

As predicted, the model is a filler monster so I've spent quite a bit of time filling, sanding, priming, repeat ad nauseum -

As can be seen in the second picture (which is slightly out of focus), there were fairly prominent ejector pin marks in some very visible areas which needed filling.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Looking very neat and tidy Eric after the filling and sanding; it will be interesting to see how the new tool compares in May (inshallah :roll: )
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"

Return to “Aviation Modelling”