Supermarine Seafang: Rareplane Vacforms 1/72

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
vacant
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Supermarine Seafang: Rareplane Vacforms 1/72

Post by vacant »

I gave this one to a fellow modeller who wanted to try building a vacform kit. He gave it back to me recently. He had cut out some of the parts and done some sanding, then decided it was mission impossible or more likely, decided that there were far easier ways to make a model.

It was a fairly straightforward build, i.e. monoplane, inline engine, not many wings, fairly small. I did create a problem by initially making the undercarriage legs too long then needed a pliers and scissors to correct the error. One joy of cheap superglue is that it bonds rather than welds the plastic, so errors can be corrected with a deft snap of the wrist.

There was not much choice of colour schemes. The kit can be built as a Spiteful, but I built one of those in the early 1970s ad still have it. Ony a few Seafangs were built, so it's a choice of dark grey or ...... dark grey. I was initially confused by the sight of a Seafang with Suez stripes, one in Australian markings and even one in Spanish markings, but although these are provided with an injection kit (Trumpeter), they are 'whatifs'. I don't do 'whatifs'. I did not give it any weathering or exhaust stains as their service life was short. It was, as they say, one Spitfire too far.

DavidWomby

Re: Supermarine Seafang: Rareplane Vacforms 1/72

Post by DavidWomby »

Very nicely done. Those old Rareplanes are amongst some of the best vacforms I have in the stash. Beautifully moulded and quite detailed for the technology/vintage.

David
Lone Modeller

Post by Lone Modeller »

I really like the lesser known types that you build from vacforms. Just looking at them it is not possible to see that they are not injection moulded. Shame about the choice of colour schemes, but that could not have been helped.
iggie

Post by iggie »

Nice work Vacant!
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
FAAMAN
The Bug Has Well And Truly Bitten

Post by FAAMAN »

Tis a thing of beauty, well done :beer:
Been modelling for years, still learning . . . .
Model kits are meant to be assembled . . . . . . . . . . eventually.
gnomemeansgnome

Post by gnomemeansgnome »

Regardless of the medium, gotta love a contraprop Spitfire.
Ego no habeo consilium.

ICBM = Insatiable Collector and Builder of Models
Eric Mc

Post by Eric Mc »

Very nice. The poor old Spiteful and Seafang were indeed steps too far for the Spitfire line. Indeed, they tried to take it further with the Attacker which, by all accounts, was a bit of a turd.

Return to “Aviation Modelling”