Dazzled's Big Mig Build

Military or civil, triplanes, biplanes or monoplanes, props, jets or helicopters...models in here.
Softscience
Staring out the window

Re: Dazzled's Big Mig Build

Post by Softscience »

Beautiful work on the Foxbat. You caputred the look perfectly.

I'm curious about the Farmer. I didn't know Misterkit improved the tooling. Can you post a sprue shot?
I've been waiting for years for Trumpeter to release a farmer in 72nd. Each year it's in their catalog, and each year comes and then goes. So I might give this kit a whirl.
Old_Tonto
Modelling Gent and Scholar

Post by Old_Tonto »

Softscience wrote: I'm curious about the Farmer. I didn't know Misterkit improved the tooling. Can you post a sprue shot?
I've been waiting for years for Trumpeter to release a farmer in 72nd. Each year it's in their catalog, and each year comes and then goes.
I've been awaiting the trumpeter kit too, seems to have been promised for years.

There is a review of the MisterKit MiG-19 on youtube here:

I picked one up a few weeks back for £5 so I thought it might be worth a punt. I'll get some sprue shots put up tonight if I remember. Or maybe even a review! :lol:
2023 - A:0 B:0 C:0
Current Projects:
East German Air Force (1956-90)
South African Air Force (1958-93)
iggie

Post by iggie »

This is the variance between the illustrated parts and the actual I was referring to earlier; this is the seat detail in the instructions for the Mistercraft Su-22M4R:

Just look at all that sumptuous detail, the harnesses, the leg restraints.....who needs AM stuff with kits like this? 8-)

Oh, hold on; this are the seat parts on the sprue.......now where's the number for Hannants? :-D

Don't get me wrong, you can pick these kits up for peanuts and with some effort they can turn out to be a reasonable build. But, I find the 'creative' licence shown by the instructions mildly offensive.... :frown:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

:ha: :ha: :ha: Now that really is artistic license.

Here you go SoftScience, an example of the panel lines:

They are not a regular depth but I fancy venturing into the world of panel line engraving so this kit is a good place to start. :)

Rather than hi-jack Dazzled's build thread I will try to do a small review later today in the reviews section.
Current Projects:
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Thanks for that OT. Your welcome to post at any time....I need all the help I can get :lol:

So, here are some gratuitous sprue shots.

First, the -19

The panel lines are nicely done and the moulds did clean up very well. The decals are pretty good too and the instructions are a vast improvement over KP's originals. That said it's still a basic kit with little in the way of interior and some quite clunky features. All in all though, considering the price, I think it's very good value for money and well worth a little effort and some a/m additions.

Next, the -17

It's all on one sprue, and a very nice sprue it is too. It's a much more modern and refined kit with great detail but without unnecessary over-complication. This will likely make the fastest progress of the two as I intend to built it OOB.

More action should follow soon as I have an enforced day off due to my car snapping it's fan belt this afternoon. I know what I'm doing tomorrow :roll:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
Old_Tonto

Post by Old_Tonto »

Very Nice Daz.

Is that the Dragon kit? As rare as chickens teeth those things. :lol:
Current Projects:
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Old_Tonto wrote:Very Nice Daz.

Is that the Dragon kit? As rare as chickens teeth those things. :lol:

It certainly is OT. Took me a while to find one too!
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

Wherever there's danger, wherever there's trouble, wherever there's important work to be done....I'll be somewhere else building a model!
celt

Post by celt »

Look forward to seeing this build.
ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

A great looking pair of MiG kits there Daz and I also look forward to seeing them come together. I hope the fan belt snappage didn't cost too much!
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

ShaunW wrote:A great looking pair of MiG kits there Daz and I also look forward to seeing them come together. I hope the fan belt snappage didn't cost too much!
£33 for both belts and an afternoon of swearing trying to get the damn aux drive belt around all 6 pulleys. BMW make marvellous engines but shoehorning them into engine bays means poor access so the belts are up against the inner bodywork. :roll:
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

iggie

Post by iggie »

Dazzled wrote:
ShaunW wrote:A great looking pair of MiG kits there Daz and I also look forward to seeing them come together. I hope the fan belt snappage didn't cost too much!
£33 for both belts and an afternoon of swearing trying to get the damn aux drive belt around all 6 pulleys. BMW make marvellous engines but shoehorning them into engine bays means poor access so the belts are up against the inner bodywork. :roll:
You want to try it on an MG ZT 2.5 V6 :shock: Some pilchard decided it would be a good idea to thread one belt through an engine bearer.... :evil:
Best wishes

Jim
If you can walk away from a landing, it's a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it's an outstanding landing
"Never put off till tomorrow, what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Tarkas
Active Participant

Post by Tarkas »

iggie wrote:You want to try [changing the fan belt] on an MG ZT 2.5 V6 :shock: Some pilchard decided it would be a good idea to thread one belt through an engine bearer.... :evil:
Didn't British Leyland once own MG? 'Cause that sounds very like the shenanigans that you had to go through to replace a fan belt on an Austin 1800: if you didn't have a pit handy to get under the car, it became a matter of disassembling a lot of the engine just to change the belt. I don't think it was necessary to take out the block, but am not sure. :shock: :roll: I know it took several hours...

Kinda prepared me for the fun and games involved in a Harrier engine change: first, remove the wing...
Ping! Ping!! Ping!!! -- Mother Box
She's such a chatterbox, sometimes...
Dazzled

Post by Dazzled »

Enough car talk!

Let's look at a Mig 8-)

I've taken some close up pictures of the detail on the Dragon Mig-17.

It has some fantastic surface detail. And the canopy is supplied separately bagged.

At the moment I'm waiting on a resin cockpit set for the Mig-19 but should be starting both builds by next weekend 8-)
COLD WAR S.I.G. LEADER

ShaunW
NOT the sheep

Post by ShaunW »

Dazzled wrote:Enough car talk!
I second that emotion, damn things are a money pit. This Dragon MiG looks excellent Daz and hopefully it will build as good as it looks 8-)
Doing - Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier.

Work is the curse of the modelling classes!
IPMS#12300
Softscience
Staring out the window

Post by Softscience »

I tried building the Dragon -17 about 17 years ago (oh man, I was so young and full of hope then). I recall fit issues, but again, I was young and full of it back then :)

That MiG-19 looks pretty sad. The instructions are comical.

Return to “Aviation Modelling”